Opinions on an Effecient Passing Game! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Opinions on an Effecient Passing Game!

Disnardo

Premium Member
Reaction score
I figured to start this new thread...

Guys and gals, these questions are for everyone...

What do you consider an EFFICIENT offensive passing game?

What do you consider a DECENT offensive passing game?

What is the basic stat that defines one, or is it a combination of stats?

How many attempts? How many yards? How many TDs?

Since everyone has a different perspective, please let me know yours...

Inquiring mind wants to know.

Stats are misleading. You play into the flow of the game. If you fall behind 21-0, your goal is still to win the ball game, so you are required to "put it up" more often than not. Efficiency can depend on whether you are successful in play action passing and what plays you are running. High percentage, west coast, throwing downfield, etc. You try to hit a few play actions and big plays every ball game to get a lead and then run the football to maintain the lead. There is no coach out there who wouldn't run the ball 70 times and throw 0 passes if they thought they could win the game that way. Passing opens it up though, attempts, yards, and TD's are just variables. If you throw a screen and the back races past the painted stripe from 80 yards out, you are 1-1 for 80 yards and a TD, even though you dumped the ball off 1 or 2 yards past the line of scrimmage. Mixing it up and calling the right plays in the right situations is the key to the passing game. Everyone has to throw, but you have to play into your strengths in the critical moments of the flow of the game.

for the Phins an effective passing game is one that scares the 8th man out of the box so that we can hand it off to Ricky more effectively

How about adding on to that, it would be nice to hear an announcer say Miami's QB hasnt thrown an interception in the last 14 Quarters?

You get a QB that can throw the long ball (Not Fiedler, I think he can only throught the ball 15-20 yards). Get a speedy #2 WR. Get the #2 WR and Chambers a few deep balls early then we will not have to worry about any safties/8th man camping out in the Box. Mix it up and the New BALD Rickey runs wild again.

To be honest, I thought Fiedler tossed the deep ball fairly well in 2000 and 2001, hitting Chambers on the pair of TD's on the road in Buffalo (2001) just to point out a few of Chris's great plays from his rookie year. I feel that he has regressed in that phase seeing all those missed touchdowns by a step or inches in the last two years. A few of them were also dropped. It just always seems we are rooting for the same team every year that is just a few feet or inches here and there of becoming dominant. Almost as if they miss out on that big game changing play that could have turned games into blowouts. That's why you have to stay positive, it's a game of inches and soon they will go our way. Tampa had a dominant defense for years but were known for choking and they all of the sudden...2002 they win it all. Hang in there Dolfans because come September we are going to feel the adrenaline and be rooting for the title.

Efficient offense means holding on to the ball. Limit turnovers and convert on 3rd down. That's it. Everything else is secondary (throwing deep etc.) If you want a stat to measure a QB, I look at the 3rd down passer rating. If you are efficient when they are expecting you to pass then you are a good QB.

I agree with rafael, 3rd down is where football games are won or lost! It is up to the QB to make that big play! To move his offense forward, to get 4 more downs, to move down the field. The QB must make the right decision, be able to make the throw or get your team in a 3rd and short so we can hand off to Ricky. Well I have not seen that from Jay in the past 2 seasons! The last time he made a big play was against the Raiders 2 years ago, which we proceeded to another round in the playoffs where Jay did make the right decisions and threw 2 int , and that was the last time we were in the playoffs<

I think you need a QB capable of making plays on his own and making the defense think/worry about him. Thats one thing that a guy with a cannon arm naturally has cuz it scares/impresses a defense when he whips a bill 20 yards upfield into a tight spot...makes a D feel a little helpless. Another way to scare a D is with the running threat, like Culpepper, McNabb, and Vick. The last way to make them feel helpless IMO is like what Ricky does to a defense as a RB, he wears you out, pounds you into submission. A QB can do that just by getting out of trouble time and again and making play after play finding the right guy on the field. Marino use to frustrate the he|| out of DLmen with his quick release...they think they got him, but they don't...and the throw was often complete. Marino also scared DBs with that cannon zipping it into tight spots.

Lots of things go into an "Efficient passing offense" but I'm a believer that in order to have one of those you need a QB who can scare defenses at least sometimes.

A better example of what I mean is remember when the Jets had gone on that god aweful run on us? Remember how against Vinny Testeverde, our defense kept getting this "uh oh" feeling in the second half where we're like "here we go again"

Thats a great example of getting into a defense's head. Don't matter what the stats are at that point or whether the Jets were run-first or pass-first. The D was mindfvcked. Testeverde had that kind of ability though, a streaky player that could go on runs that leave you standing helpless.

Originally posted by KATSKAN
To be honest, I thought Fiedler tossed the deep ball fairly well in 2000 and 2001, hitting Chambers on the pair of TD's on the road in Buffalo (2001) just to point out a few of Chris's great plays from his rookie year. I feel that he has regressed in that phase seeing all those missed touchdowns by a step or inches in the last two years. A few of them were also dropped. It just always seems we are rooting for the same team every year that is just a few feet or inches here and there of becoming dominant. Almost as if they miss out on that big game changing play that could have turned games into blowouts. That's why you have to stay positive, it's a game of inches and soon they will go our way. Tampa had a dominant defense for years but were known for choking and they all of the sudden...2002 they win it all. Hang in there Dolfans because come September we are going to feel the adrenaline and be rooting for the title.

I think it was more like Chambers doing everything he can to get to the ball than the pass hitting Chambers. :lol: An efficient passing game would need a QB who knows how to find the go-to WR and has a history of throwing well. We already have one: Brian Griese.

I think the reason Griese did poorly this year was because he had a very brief preseason and wasn't too adjusted to the other players on offense. That can kill a player's good qualities. I think that, like Comeback Player of the Year Jon Kitna, Griese can be a good part in the offense. Kitna averaged a fumble a game and got picked off a lot during the beginning of his career but he turned it around when there was a rookie QB next on the chart. If Brian can play like he did in 2000 and the rest of the team plays as always, Fins are deep playoff-bound.

The problem with Griese is the excusing making doesn't start and stop with this season. The excuse making goes all the way back to like every single year he's played other than the pro bowl year.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I think you need a QB capable of making plays on his own and making the defense think/worry about him. Thats one thing that a guy with a cannon arm naturally has cuz it scares/impresses a defense when he whips a bill 20 yards upfield into a tight spot...makes a D feel a little helpless. Another way to scare a D is with the running threat, like Culpepper, McNabb, and Vick. The last way to make them feel helpless IMO is like what Ricky does to a defense as a RB, he wears you out, pounds you into submission. A QB can do that just by getting out of trouble time and again and making play after play finding the right guy on the field. Marino use to frustrate the he|| out of DLmen with his quick release...they think they got him, but they don't...and the throw was often complete. Marino also scared DBs with that cannon zipping it into tight spots.

Lots of things go into an &quot;Efficient passing offense&quot; but I'm a believer that in order to have one of those you need a QB who can scare defenses at least sometimes.

In short you need a QB who makes plays and doesn't turn the ball over. It doesn't matter how he does it. That's why a big arm is nice but not necessary. It's just one possible way to make plays. Running ability is nice, but also not necessary. The only thing that is definately required is good decision making. Good decisions avoids TOs and allows you to make plays. Then you need some skill that allows you to make those plays. It could be a big arm or great accuracy or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom