Opposite Reality... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Opposite Reality...

In terms of tanking, the problem might be the defense, given the proper scheme (no Burke!) , they might be quite decent. Keeping Tannehill has 6-10 / 7-9 written all over it. We need to find our Curtis Painter.

Let me begin by stating it is a slow time of year. Winter outside, NBA and NHL both yet to start playoffs. Spring training is 1-2 weeks away, March Madness is still 4-6 weeks away and our government is in perpetual stalemate.

What if our new Head Coach and coaching staff actually look competent and do well? The players have pride and do not want to lose. What if our draft rebuilds the lines and they become competent. We run the ball and stop the run. Falk, or OS or whoever becomes a decent caretaker. We have Howard and Fitz in the backfield. Our special teams are good. We could win more than our owner/GM want.

We lose out on our QB in 2020. How can this be prevented?

By not following a foolish plan to “hope” we finish in position to get a quarterback...that we “hope” is still as desirable as he looks now two drafts from now.

We have a draft coming up...scout...Get a conviction and go get a rookie QB this year, at whatever point it makes sense in the draft...start that kid.

If he fails you draft another one next year... and you probably are in position to do that... if he is great...your set to build around him.

Let the Cards fall where they may. I'm hoping for your opposite reality.

Yeah, I would rather it be Miami actually doing better then expected, and make the playoffs next year, because that would tell me Miami with the new Coaching staff might be able to make some serious noice with just a few more pieces added.

The Oppisite of looking terrible tells me we will take at least 2 years before reaching the playoffs, let alone doing any damage in the playoffs.

The thing is, and I sincerely believe that, if Flores is a better coach than Gase then - regardless of the players we have - we will not be worse than last season. I believe the greatest deficiencies we had last year was that seemingly no player was aware what was expected of him and that not only caused confusion but also makes you play slower. A good coach can fix that in an instant. That's why I have high hopes it will be better this year than last.
Yeah it's entirely possible that we could make the same kind of moves, or find a way to afford a more consistent QB, and be a bit better, but I don't think that just being a bit better next season is really a goal of the owner at them moment. We've been bobbing around mediocrity for so long, sometimes a bit better, sometimes a bit worse, that he seems to have lost faith in hoping that leads to some real success and wants to blow it up and start again.

I don’t understand why we should purposely tank. I mean it’s not like it’s a successful strategy for building a dynasty. And if anybody from the front office or the coaching staff is ok with losing games on purpose I want them gone. Immediately.

Correct. It's usually UNsuccessful for a number of reasons. Doesn't mean don't try, but it means accepting risk. If, as some advocate, Miami starts in the trenches, getting a couple of 'hits' can change things. If the coaching staff actually game plans and takes advantages of mismatches, things can change. And e've all seen meh QBs get teams to the playoff (i.e., winning record).

It's not usually successful, but the last 20 years haven't been either. The 'strategy' of clearing cap is justified. Dumping bad contracts/players is justified. Getting top players IN is understandable as a goal, but that's far more difficult than just deciding to get good players. A team coming off a 'tank' year has no more likelihood of success in the draft than any other team. Having additional picks can up those odds, but not to the point, as some say, 'tank and in 2-3 years we have a good team.' That's a goal, not a guarantee.

The more I see the QB's in this draft, the more I want to skip a QB this year. Unless they are completely head over heals for one, we need to draft OL/DL/CB. We can always trade away the farm to move up next year.

Can always trade up, but that will be costly. Whoever's picking top three likely needs a quarterback as well.

The more I see the QB's in this draft, the more I want to skip a QB this year. Unless they are completely head over heals for one, we need to draft OL/DL/CB. We can always trade away the farm to move up next year.
I tend to agree. But there are always surprises. In addition, a good coaching staff can work with a player's strengths. You don't see Brady slinging the ball down field very often as an example.

The thing is, and I sincerely believe that, if Flores is a better coach than Gase then - regardless of the players we have - we will not be worse than last season. I believe the greatest deficiencies we had last year was that seemingly no player was aware what was expected of him and that not only caused confusion but also makes you play slower. A good coach can fix that in an instant. That's why I have high hopes it will be better this year than last.
I agree with that. My observation with the Dolphins over 48 years has been that when expectations are high, they **** the bed. When you expect garbage, they overachieve. When we were healthy, the talent was actually quite good. IF Flores is a good coach, they could get a hell of a lot more out of these guys. They'd have to start Osweiller or one of those 3 other scrubs we have in order to cripple our chances.

with all these good coach we got I don't think we are going tank. if we get Kyler or Grier. we will be all right,

The problem with that thinking... is there seems to be QB’s that get overlooked on a regular basis...and trading away the farm is not the best way to build a team.

It’s our GM’s job to find the gems in this draft and go get them...waste another year on a maybe?

That’s foolish!

The problem with that thinking... is there seems to be QB’s that get overlooked on a regular basis...and trading away the farm is not the best way to build a team.

It’s our GM’s job to find the gems in this draft and go get them...waste another year on a maybe?

That’s foolish!

If the GM was a near-perfect QB evaluator then yes, go get them IF they are there. BIG IF. I don't see anyone in this front office who has identified and acquired a franchise QB and most of those guys have been on this QB starved team for decades. Some of them were here when we took Tannehill over Wilson, Foles, Cousins, etc.

I think the there are probably two top prospects in this draft that are going to go in the top 5 or 6 (maybe top 4) so we would have to trade up for them. You trading future picks (and 3 seasons) for a "maybe"? Will a good QB slip past everyone? Probably but it could also be reminiscent of the 2013, 2014 or 2015 draft classes. Not one of those Qb's in three drafts have established themselves as a sure-fire franchise QB. Everyone one in the 13 class was a bust. Three unknowns from 14 and the first two taken were busts. 2015 is average-to-inconsistent for the two best in class.

I am intrigued by Tyler Murray but it will depend how strongly they feel about him. He could go #1 OA. You better be darn sure if you're trading up for a QB and hopefully you also have someone who can develop him and put him in the right system.

We have to field a team like the Colts did when they were sucking for Luck. It didn't look like they were trying to lose but they were going into games without much of a game plan and the talent they fielded was sub par. We have to use this draft to get a first round pick next year and since it probably involves trading our first round pick to a team that is drafting behind us meaning it won't be a high first rounder next year. So integral to getting a franchise QB next year is trading for a first round pick next year and a second this year which can also be parlayed. Trade up or take BPA in the first round this year and we have really set the franchise back another decade.

If the GM was a near-perfect QB evaluator then yes, go get them IF they are there. BIG IF. I don't see anyone in this front office who has identified and acquired a franchise QB and most of those guys have been on this QB starved team for decades. Some of them were here when we took Tannehill over Wilson, Foles, Cousins, etc.

I think the there are probably two top prospects in this draft that are going to go in the top 5 or 6 (maybe top 4) so we would have to trade up for them. You trading future picks (and 3 seasons) for a "maybe"? Will a good QB slip past everyone? Probably but it could also be reminiscent of the 2013, 2014 or 2015 draft classes. Not one of those Qb's in three drafts have established themselves as a sure-fire franchise QB. Everyone one in the 13 class was a bust. Three unknowns from 14 and the first two taken were busts. 2015 is average-to-inconsistent for the two best in class.

I am intrigued by Tyler Murray but it will depend how strongly they feel about him. He could go #1 OA. You better be darn sure if you're trading up for a QB and hopefully you also have someone who can develop him and put him in the right system.

Dude... first of all... there is no perfect...if you make a man your GM, you have to trust him.

Second...your evaluation that there are only two prospects worthy means dick... many a year a surprise QB gets picked later than expected...and surprises all the people like you.

In the last 20 years... we had Drew Brees slip to round 2.... Tom Brady round 6... Aaron Rodgers to the 21st pick in round one....Russell Wilson round 3... Dak Prescott etc etc etc

Just because the pundits don’t have a crystal ball... and therefore fans like you assume there are only 2 QB’s worth drafting.... doesn’t mean that’s true.

Chris Grier’s job is to find a QB....to look beyond the obvious...they are frequently out there....if he is really good...or dare say great... he will find a prospect, get a conviction....and roll the dice!

Edit: was suppose to be just preach.

I don’t understand why we should purposely tank. I mean it’s not like it’s a successful strategy for building a dynasty. And if anybody from the front office or the coaching staff is ok with losing games on purpose I want them gone. Immediately.

Preach.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom