Optimisim for our LT? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Optimisim for our LT?

Muck said:
One of his main problems last year was a lack of size and upper body strength. Now Smith's up to 315 pounds (up from 300). And as Bod mentioned, Bill Parcells and Jeff Fisher raved about the guy. Rick raved about his phenomenal feet after last year's draft. And Wanny keeps alluding to how physically different he looks already compared to Week 17, not to mention the countless hours he's logging in the film room.

Smith was called "the greatest athlete in Memphis history" by his college coaches. He's a well-grounded guy (married BTW) who works his butt off and holds himself accountable. He is mature beyond his years. And if he is to fail as a LT, it will be due to a lack of instinct and/or ability to learn, because the guy unquestionably has the dedication and physical ability to be successful. So failure isn't something I forsee.

In last years roster he was listed at 295 so that makes 20 pounds.. if he can get to 325 watch out!!

He was never my public enemy #1. You have to look at situations. Smith was not ready to play last year, and he wasn't drafted to be a first year starter. He was used as an emergency, and all things considered I think he comes out of his rookie year with his head held high and a very bright future ahead. You can't teach his feet and athleticism.

He has the tools and athleticism, needs strength and experience, things that can be easily gained.

You neglected to address the other points my friend.

My bad on the Smith/Webb, but even contasting them is useless. Their situations couldn't be more different, for reasons I outlined already.

I did, his name was Todd Wade. Followed by Todd Perry and Jamie Nails.

I will try this way to explain my faith in Smith. It is like you bought a start up company. 3 years down the road, you should start seeing some profits, however in those first 2 years you are going to lose a bundle. Instead of losing a bundle, you lose a lot less then you think of and you actually see the potential for profits sooner then 3 years down the road.

I also watched every game Miami played in the last 4 years. Thank god I turned 21 and can go to sports bars. I for one cannot believe how well he did last year with so much against him.

Bodzilla29 said:
He was never my public enemy #1. You have to look at situations. Smith was not ready to play last year, and he wasn't drafted to be a first year starter. He was used as an emergency, and all things considered I think he comes out of his rookie year with his head held high and a very bright future ahead. You can't teach his feet and athleticism.

He has the tools and athleticism, needs strength and experience, things that can be easily gained.

You neglected to address the other points my friend.

My bad on the Smith/Webb, but even contasting them is useless. Their situations couldn't be more different, for reasons I outlined already.

As much as thier collge careers were differint their NFL careers couldn't be more similar. No matter how you slice it they both were starting LTs in their rookie seasons. Like I said even Webb made his share of rookie mistakes, but you could see the promise. I don't see that in Smith. Like I said I hope I am wrong, but I think he will be our weakest link on our o-line again this season. That is my opinon, you have yours and I hope you are right.

Dajesus said:
As much as thier collge careers were differint their NFL careers couldn't be more similar. No matter how you slice it they both were starting LTs in their rookie seasons. Like I said even Webb made his share of rookie mistakes, but you could see the promise. I don't see that in Smith. Like I said I hope I am wrong, but I think he will be our weakest link on our o-line again this season. That is my opinon, you have yours and I hope you are right.

Webb was drafted to be a starter his rookie year. He had the strength, and the experience needed for the position. Hell Smith is already as good a run blocker was Webb was.

Your concerns about Smith are justified Dajesus. Just keep in mind that Freeney and Keaese made MOST LT's look bad last year, not just Smith. When the Phins played the Ravens, JT made Jonathon Ogden look like a turnstyle, embarassing him for four quarters. Doesnt mean that Ogden is a worthless linemen. Hardly. But even the best LT's are succeptible to speed rushers.

Point is, look at the kids entire season, not just one or two games. He has the tools, the footwork, the dedication, and hopefully now the strength to succeeed on the Left Side.

Back
Top Bottom