Option in the NFL | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Option in the NFL

Phins40

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Seeing the wild hog formation yesterday got me thinking why is the nfl so aginst useing college type offences im not saying teams should run a full blown spread option but seeing how it worked yesterday i made me wonder why havent we seen more of this.
With so many collegs now swiching to the spread option its getting harder for nfl players to make the transition.
Do you guys think we will see more college tpye playes in the nfl over the next few years.

I'm not sure this represents a revolution in the way the game is played as it takes very specific personnel to pull it off...

For a long time the reason that the option has not been a staple in the NFL is that it punishes the QB... And at that level you don't want to get your man hit on every down...

The 'Wildcat' is a good one because it is a RB who is running the option (in this case) but it does require a specific skill set, someone who can read defensive motion, react very quickly and throw... Hesitation is the surest way to kill it.

I think we are seeing the type of players change before our eyes with so many colleges running some form of option and high schools doing it all over the place i see the nfl going thorugh a huge trasnformation over the next 5-7 years

There are few good QBs in the NFL. If you start running the option you need to either use that QB or put somebody in there to do it, kind of like this past weekend. If you put your starting QB in to run the option you are risking them getting hurt. Loosing your starting QB can be disastorous for a team (see Patriots).

The other option is to do what the Dolphins did and move a RB there, however, you are affectively tipping your hand to what you are doing. Give NFL coaches a few weeks to digest that formation and you'll start to see the effectiveness of it go down.

Look at UF, a team that has a very good running QB. Tebow is not running as hard as he has in the past (he rushed 12 times for 26 yards against UTenn for example) or as much because UF can't afford to have him get hurt if they expect to do anything this year (last year they needed him to do that because their defense was worse and they didn't have anybody at RB).

Well back in the "old days" of the NFL, the rule of thumb for the defense was to if the offense wants run plays like that...then make sure the QB pays for it.
After 2 or 3 times of that....they stop running those plays because their QBs were getting killed.
So I can see that happening again should teams decide to move the QB out to a wide out position.

Seeing the wild hog formation yesterday got me thinking why is the nfl so aginst useing college type offences im not saying teams should run a full blown spread option but seeing how it worked yesterday i made me wonder why havent we seen more of this.
With so many collegs now swiching to the spread option its getting harder for nfl players to make the transition.
Do you guys think we will see more college tpye playes in the nfl over the next few years.

Also I think the 'Wildcat' as we ran it yesterday is a very inventive scheme... Typical options are not hard to telegraph in terms of where the ball is going, they are designed to spread them out but a disciplined defense can defend it rather easily by having the outside coverage take the 'option' man and allow the interior pursuit to take the QB... If that outside man bites on the QB you are dead...

The Wildcat was impressive because it has credible fakes as well as a counter built in... When Ricky takes off like that for the outside it is pure evil for a defense and you could see how many times it froze the coverage... Ricky could have walked in untouched as well...

Then you load up the side you want to run to with an unbalanced line and the inside lanes open up... It is nasty...

Yeah, MIA clearly looks better in that spread formation. Even against the JETS, we moved the ball better with that spread formation. I love what seems to be brewing here...

MIA looks like they may have some potential to have one of the best offenses in the league this season, if they use their talent correctly as they did yesterday.

Just realizing of the potential with Ronnie Brown's versatility and just imagine that Ginn wasn't even really used in that formation and can very well be added to it.

Looks like that pick of Ronnie Brown instead of Cadillac Williams was the right choice after all. :up:

Back
Top Bottom