Orange Bowl VS. Current Stadium. Also Sat. 11:30 MST NFL Network airs 82 playoffs. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Orange Bowl VS. Current Stadium. Also Sat. 11:30 MST NFL Network airs 82 playoffs.

Love hearing these stories, fellas. Makes me jealous as hell. I'd have given anything to have gone to a game at the Orange Bowl. The half dozen games I've seen Miami play in my lifetime have all been out West.
We used to go to three or four LA Raiders games a year at the Coliseum from '90-95. Usually parked in some guys lawn that had a car up on blocks. Or at the DMV a half mile away. Pretty rough area to say the least and you weren't hanging around tailgating once the game ended. Miami never played the Raiders there when I went and I'm glad cuz, I saw some crazy **** if you were wearing an opposing teams jersey.

Lost the car...30,000 grand in lawyer fees,....55,000 in fines..18 months in county and 5years probation...
Pop threw me out of the business for a few years..
hell yes i learned my lesson.

Did you go to McArthur High? I feel like I know you...lol

The Orange Bowl was epic! Many streaks from Canes to Dolphins from the seventies until it was torn down. It was the loudest on Monday night football where the refs would have to call multiple time outs and take a commercial break because of the noise. The stadium made you feel like you were on the field and basically went straight up. Bench seating sucked, The stadium swayed when everyone was stomping their feet, the food sucked, there was almost no tailgating room as people parked miles away for 10 to 20 bucks in peoples yards and walked. You peed in a trough in the bathrooms and the Dolphins kicked ass and no other team wanted to go there. Best times of my life! I always wished my kids could have experienced it. Don't get me wrong, Hard Rock Stadium and Ross have done an amazing job, our stadium is now a mini Dallas stadium and the fan experience is great. The noise picked up with the roof, but nothing will compare to the OB. I am getting old but Damn....If we were great again I am sure with the roof the Stadium would rock. Finatical

Isn’t it funny, the seats sucked, the restrooms were awful, the parking was an experience, but watching a game in the Orange Bowl was unmatched.

it was nice to have a modern day stadium built- but it was impossible to re capture that type of environment for a game. I remember thinking if we win consistently, maybe we could re capture what it was like- not possible.

It’s funny that during the orange bowl days I never heard or read any complaints from fans that it was too hot during 1pm September October games. But the opposite with the proceeding stadium. What changed? Global warming?

Big games in the Orange Bowl were epic. As a lifelong Dolphins and Canes fan, I have so many amazing memories from that place.

I will say, the only time I felt a similar atmosphere was for the 2017 Miami-Notre Dame game at Hard Rock. The acoustics at the updated stadium are pretty amazing. Once the Dolphins get a quality team on the field and big games return, I think you will see a similar situation.

No place like the Orange Bowl. I miss that place. Fins haven’t been the same since we left IMO.

Hey I have a quick question regarding the renovation of Hard Rock Stadium. The canopy looks like nice but why do you think Ross chose to go in that direction over having a full clear roof like the stadium in Minnesota and the new stadiums in Inglewood and Las Vegas? With a clear roof you get the benefits of having the sun still shine in but with a temperature controlled environment and no rain on the field. Seems like the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
I attended hundreds of games at the Orange Bowl. Both Dolphin and Hurricane games and I loved the stadium. The bathrooms and concessions sucked and the seats were a pain because they were not comfortable. Yet there has never been a better football experience than a sold out stadium in the old Orange Bowl. Having also attended over 200 games at Joe Robbie Stadium, as it will always be known to me. I have never experienced the same atmosphere or crowd noise in the new stadium that was present in the old Orange Bowl.

As far as the excitement in the stadium on game days goes, the old Orange Bowl was a far better experience than the experience you now get at the new stadium. Of course the Dolphin and Hurricane teams that played in the Orange Bowl were much better than the teams that have played in JRS the last 20 plus years. Hopefully both teams can get back to the high level of play we saw when they both played at the Orange Bowl. If they do perhaps JRS will be a more exciting atmosphere to attend games.

Nah..south Alabama boy..so south Alabama.. I’m almost a North Floridian.

Hey I have a quick question regarding the renovation of Hard Rock Stadium. The canopy looks like nice but why do you think Ross chose to go in that direction over having a full clear roof like the stadium in Minnesota and the new stadiums in Inglewood and Las Vegas? With a clear roof you get the benefits of having the sun still shine in but with a temperature controlled environment and no rain on the field. Seems like the best of both worlds.
Good question. First off, to suddenly enclose an existing open air stadium would have been incredibly even more expensive than the Billion he spent. Second, with Flores who isn't a wimp, we should have a pretty amazing home field advantage like we used to in that we're acclimated for the heat and the other teams melt. I LOVE the diabolical way they did the sunlight tests to ensure that during a 1 pm game the away team's sideline is 20 degrees hotter and they always have to carry around tables and stuff to create shade. That's FANTASTIC.

Orange Bowl was killer. I remember going there as a kid (now 45) for Phins games. As I was 8-13 when I was there, I just remember how awesomely loud and close we were. I did'nt give any thought at that age to concessions or bathrooms or anything else.

I like Hard Rock but still thinking it was idiotic to move the team so far outside actual Miami. The stadium SHOULD be where the Marlins' stadium is and in the actual city. To have to head out to what was and still kinda is the middle of nowhere in Miami to see what is still the premier team in S. Florida seems silly. I am excited they are moving their HQ and training facilities out there though. That's the way it should be.

Last edited:
How about Flipper in the pool at the east end zone? Would toss the ball back when a kick landed in the pool. Seems it would land in the pool a lot.
Did flips after touchdowns too.

Back
Top Bottom