Oregon pro day 4/2 Penei Sewell | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Oregon pro day 4/2 Penei Sewell

I really want to see pitts at 6 but expect him to be available and see us drafting someone else for some reason šŸ˜‚
I can't stand with you on that island brother. Pitts is amazing, but our most talented offensive player at this point in time is Mike Gesicki. It makes about as much sense as drafting another QB. If we do the typical Dolphins thing of letting another good young talent walk, I'm gonna lose it. This franchise hasn't made the right choices very often, and the best draft I can recall is when we picked Minkah Fitzpatrick and then Mike Gesicki ... the two exact picks I would have made. And if they had played Minkah as a FS like I advocated for since before he was drafted ... we would now have a guy who immediately became an All-Pro FS the moment he left us and was was allowed to be and concentrate on being a FS. If we then turn around and give up on Gesicki too ... that'll be yet another epically stupid move by this franchise.

To me the clear cut top choice would be Ja'Marr Chase, and if he's available and we do not take him, I'm gonna be unbelievably dejected.

Bengals are stuck in a tough spot.

You go with the WR that Burrows had huge success with in CFB? Or the dominant TE from Florida that is a WR in a TE frame or do you go with the meat and potatoes pick with Sewell?
Personally, I think the LT is the correct play here. To me, it's way harder to find a blindside protector than it is to find a good receiver in the draft.

Pittsburgh has cheat codes when they draft receivers, as they seem to nail them in days 2 & 3.

I wouldn't be too upset if Miami took Slater at 6(or with trade down) if he was going to be our RT.
While I think I'm on the Pitts train I would prefer to get instant help with Tua and reducing the amount of hits he'll take. And there will be guys like Brevin Jordan-Pat Freiermuth at TE and still plenty to chose from at WR.

To demonstrate how much opinions and views change, not just individually but also the mainstream, look no further than Penei Sewell.

The moment the Dolphins locked in the #3 pick late in the season, the overwhelming talk was ā€œMIA has to take Sewellā€. Lots of folks were convinced that Sewell would be the 1st non-QB off the board. And that no receiver or TE would go top 10, let alone top 5.

But fast forward a couple months and many donā€˜t even have Sewell in the top 5, let alone to MIA at 6. And many have Pitts and Chase going top 6.

If ATL and CIN pass on Sewell, how far might be drop?
MIA could take him, but the masses seem to believe Pitts, Chase, Smith, or Waddle are more likely at 6.

DET seems likely to go WR after losing Golladay. CAR, DEN and DAL donā€™t seem like the most likely of destinations at 8, 9 and 10 either.

Iā€™ve read and heard receiver attached to NYG and Philly at 11 and 12 too.

Could Sewell possibly fall all the way down to SD at 13? Is that remotely possible??
it is possible that Sewell could fall that far unless a team wants to trade up for him. I never wanted an OT at 3 nor do I want him at 6 but yes, things change every year. Lots of times after the combine but with no combine this year things started to change with the pro days and all the numbers which imo are not to be trusted. Hard to believe all these guys got so fast all of a sudden. Every time you look up you see a guy running 4.38......yeah ok.

Its common sense because oline is a huge need and burrows needs protection. . You should know that. You do know who Zac Taylor is right? He spent some time here, worked with Tannehill, and was our offensive coordinator. He happens to know a lot of what a qb needs, and his coaching record will depend on who they draft.
And his QB is lobbying for Chase. That QB will be there longer than Taylor is coach in all likelihood. They could draft a tackle later, it doesnā€™t have to be Sewell. They could trade back if a QB is still on the board that someone wants. So many options for them. No one really knows.

I just donā€™t get the impression theyā€™re that smart of an organization.

Assuming they get who they want the only thing that cannot escape beyond them is putting men to protect him. The bengals line did better as the season progressed but Sewell has been a favorite to be drafted by even the bengals fan if that means anything. Nobody wants to see their star qb on the ground on 3rd down.

And his QB is lobbying for Chase. That QB will be there longer than Taylor is coach in all likelihood. They could draft a tackle later, it doesnā€™t have to be Sewell. They could trade back if a QB is still on the board that someone wants. So many options for them. No one really knows.

The class is deep at tackle, but then again so is every draft lol. After the Dolphins made a billion draft picks from Tunsil, The dolphins might be tempted to draft Sewell if he happens to be there. Last year even though Andrew Thomas was horrible against the pass, overall the class did well. We are expecting Jackson to step up his game.

There are reports bengals Zac Taylor will be at the oregon pro day. He was also at the Florida pro day as well. I will be posting updates here in this thread as they come. Seems like the Bengals will be making a decision in between Pitts and Sewell. For those that want either player, sewell will have to really be a let down for Bengals to pass on him. Also, the Bengals supposably spoke with Chase multiple times. At pick 6 Miami will have plenty of choices in this deep draft.
I keep seeing comments like this about players like it is any indication of what they will do draft night. Every team talks to top players it means nothing. Pitts is talking to Flores does that mean we are drafting him? NO.

It's due diligence by teams.

I can't stand with you on that island brother. Pitts is amazing, but our most talented offensive player at this point in time is Mike Gesicki. It makes about as much sense as drafting another QB. If we do the typical Dolphins thing of letting another good young talent walk, I'm gonna lose it. This franchise hasn't made the right choices very often, and the best draft I can recall is when we picked Minkah Fitzpatrick and then Mike Gesicki ... the two exact picks I would have made. And if they had played Minkah as a FS like I advocated for since before he was drafted ... we would now have a guy who immediately became an All-Pro FS the moment he left us and was was allowed to be and concentrate on being a FS. If we then turn around and give up on Gesicki too ... that'll be yet another epically stupid move by this franchise.

To me the clear cut top choice would be Ja'Marr Chase, and if he's available and we do not take him, I'm gonna be unbelievably dejected.

Honestly, I like Gesicki here more than anyone. Is Pitts better in terms of ceiling, ability, and etc? Base on what we seen in tape yes. The problem here is that Mike will become a free agent, and he could decide not to sign with us. We never seen a tight end of the Caliber in Pitts, and he is your x type of player in offense. With that said, I see where you are coming from. But this is a bigger issue than that. We made a commitment to draft a QB last year, and we need to get him a dominating offensive player. Chase is my 2nd favorite, and would be fine if the team ends up drafting Sewell, Pitts, and Chase. I feel as if the front office is complacent with the receivers we have on offense. That is why I think we are less likely to draft Chase. Moving forward, at pick 6 the dolphins are in a position to draft a great player. They wouldn't have traded a 1st round pick to move up.

I keep seeing comments like this about players like it is any indication of what they will do draft night. Every team talks to top players it means nothing. Pitts is talking to Flores does that mean we are drafting him? NO.

It's due diligence by teams.

I can't any team that is making it more obvious that they will draft Sewell more than the Bengals. Let's see what happens later today.

I think Sewell drops to Dallas, who basically have to take him there. The Bengals can get OL help all day, to think they need Sewell is lazy draft analysis. Like saying they never trade down. If the Patriots don't get that pick, Belichick might as well retire. I have seen (CBS) a mock where the Jets take Zach Wilson and Najee Harris in the second. The Patriots can't just do nothing. Sewell is the best of the bunch, but in this draft, the position is fairly deep and the other guys I believe will be coachable and really close the gap between them at the next level. I predict the Bengals do not take him at five.

I think we all agree that Sewell should be in play for the Bengals. He has the most upside of the OT prospects, and clearly can be a dominant LT. He's already reliable enough to be a huge upgrade for Joe Burrow's blindside protector, and he has huge potential in the run game. But right now I might rate Rashawn Slater even higher as far as instant-impact, so don't be surprised if the Bengals trade back and scoop up one of those OL or WR/TE prospects a tad later and use the extra pick to nab another OL later in the draft as well. At the end of the day there's a LOT of good WR prospects every year and the Bengals have been very good at finding and grooming WR's in the past. Since they let Andrew Whitworth go they've had real OL troubles and now their OL is as bad as the Dolphins OL used to be--so they need multiple OL upgrades immediately.

Burrow is the real deal ... but even before the injury he was taking way too many pressures/hits. Their front office's first order of business needs to be protecting Burrow. That doesn't mean it has to start at #5 overall ... but it is a good place to start. I'm guessing they're going to be seriously entertaining moving back into the 8-16 range to scoop up one of those OT or WR prospects that fall and adding an extra pick to spend on another OL. Given the QB craze that appears to be happening at the top of the draft ... they could easily get multiple decent offers to trade back.
Cincy doesn't trade. Period. Don't waste your time.
They will take Sewell. Chase is a far second.

Assuming they get who they want the only thing that cannot escape beyond them is putting men to protect him. The bengals line did better as the season progressed but Sewell has been a favorite to be drafted by even the bengals fan if that means anything. Nobody wants to see their star qb on the ground on 3rd down.

Well instead of trying to play it cute better get that kid some protection with your first pick. Instead of the ā€œa good OL should drop in the 2nd round etcā€ When you have a serious need you donā€™t mess around like that.

Last edited:
Honestly, I like Gesicki here more than anyone. Is Pitts better in terms of ceiling, ability, and etc? Base on what we seen in tape yes. The problem here is that Mike will become a free agent, and he could decide not to sign with us. We never seen a tight end of the Caliber in Pitts, and he is your x type of player in offense. With that said, I see where you are coming from. But this is a bigger issue than that. We made a commitment to draft a QB last year, and we need to get him a dominating offensive player. Chase is my 2nd favorite, and would be fine if the team ends up drafting Sewell, Pitts, and Chase. I feel as if the front office is complacent with the receivers we have on offense. That is why I think we are less likely to draft Chase. Moving forward, at pick 6 the dolphins are in a position to draft a great player. They wouldn't have traded a 1st round pick to move up.
IMHO, Pitts is an exceptional prospect ... but lots of great prospects do not become the player their potential suggests. TE is one of the most different positions in the NFL compared to college. There are a lot of busts and even more guys who become good but not great.

In terms of athlete, we can't really consider Pitt's 40 time as legit because it's a hand-timed Pro Day time. Those are typically 0.1 seconds faster than an actual laser timed Combine event. That translates to a 4.54 forty ... which is pretty close to Mike Gesicki's time. While awesome, it's a far cry from Vernon Davis's sub-4.4 forty. And while Davis became a good TE ... he's nowhere near the talent of Rob Gronkowski ... or even Jimmy Graham in his heyday. Great athletics is only part of what it takes to become a great player.

I love Pitts as a prospect, but I'm not putting him in Canton for his collegiate achievements. If we did that, we'd all be dreaming about the next Aundray Bruce or Vernon Gholston. When OJ Howard came out we heard the same thing ... revolutionize the position. At the end of the day, we have a top notch TE in Gesicki, and if we give up on him just as he's starting to realize his potential we'll be robbing this team of some very good talent. I'd rather complement Gesicki with a WR#1 like Ja'Marr Chase. There are only so many seam routes a team can run, and Gesicki + Pitts would mean they simply alternated rather than added. At the X position, I'm taking Chase over Gesicki and Pitts. At the seam threat position, I'll take Gesicki or Pitts ... they're both exceptional.

People told me I was wrong about Travis Kelce ... but look at him now. Kid is living up to his potential and in a great offense for him, and doing quite well. I always knew he would.

Cincy doesn't trade. Period. Don't waste your time.
They will take Sewell. Chase is a far second.
I hope you're right. I'm not a fan of absolute statements though. Cleveland trades back a lot, so I'd be surprised if Cincinnati refused to listen to offers. Both owners are known to be thrifty.

Back
Top Bottom