Oregon pro day 4/2 Penei Sewell | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Oregon pro day 4/2 Penei Sewell

IMHO, Pitts is an exceptional prospect ... but lots of great prospects do not become the player their potential suggests. TE is one of the most different positions in the NFL compared to college. There are a lot of busts and even more guys who become good but not great.

In terms of athlete, we can't really consider Pitt's 40 time as legit because it's a hand-timed Pro Day time. Those are typically 0.1 seconds faster than an actual laser timed Combine event. That translates to a 4.54 forty ... which is pretty close to Mike Gesicki's time. While awesome, it's a far cry from Vernon Davis's sub-4.4 forty. And while Davis became a good TE ... he's nowhere near the talent of Rob Gronkowski ... or even Jimmy Graham in his heyday. Great athletics is only part of what it takes to become a great player.

I love Pitts as a prospect, but I'm not putting him in Canton for his collegiate achievements. If we did that, we'd all be dreaming about the next Aundray Bruce or Vernon Gholston. When OJ Howard came out we heard the same thing ... revolutionize the position. At the end of the day, we have a top notch TE in Gesicki, and if we give up on him just as he's starting to realize his potential we'll be robbing this team of some very good talent. I'd rather complement Gesicki with a WR#1 like Ja'Marr Chase. There are only so many seam routes a team can run, and Gesicki + Pitts would mean they simply alternated rather than added. At the X position, I'm taking Chase over Gesicki and Pitts. At the seam threat position, I'll take Gesicki or Pitts ... they're both exceptional.

People told me I was wrong about Travis Kelce ... but look at him now. Kid is living up to his potential and in a great offense for him, and doing quite well. I always knew he would.

Thank you! Thank you! I honestly could careless about Pitts. Wish him the best in the NFL. But the accolades being thrown his way suggests he should skip the pros and go straight to the HOF.

Madness to me!

That kid has the enormous pressure of being dominate on day 1 in the league and that’s not fair at all.

Well instead of trying to play it cute better get that kid some protect with your first pick. Instead of the “a good OL should drop in the 2nd round etc” When you have a serious need you don’t mess around like that.

That is pretty much the way I see it. I know is not easy to balance a team out. If the Bengals feel like they need to focus more in one end than the other then they will.

Not that this means anything but I had a moment last night where we took Sewell 1A and WR 1B.

Think I'll get another cuppa Joe.

Crazy talk I tell ya!

If not for all the QBs in this draft Sewell would be a lock for top 5. If for some reason Atlanta and Cincinnati pass, prepare yourself to hear Sewell at #6. Flo wants to run the ball. He’s not passing up Sewell.

Well instead of trying to play it cute better get that kid some protection with your first pick. Instead of the “a good OL should drop in the 2nd round etc” When you have a serious need you don’t mess around like that.
They no longer have a serious need, they signed Riley Reiff to play right tackle and have Jonah Williams at left tackle. What they need are interior lineman and those will be available as will right tackles like Jalen Mayfield and Teven Jenkins in the second round. Pitts and Chase are very much in play with the Bengals @ 5.

They no longer have a serious need, they signed Riley Reiff to play right tackle and have Jonah Williams at left tackle. What they need are interior lineman and those will be available as will right tackles like Jalen Mayfield and Teven Jenkins in the second round. Pitts and Chase are very much in play with the Bengals @ 5.
Pitts to Atlanta, Chase to Cinci, we take Sewell or Smith.

I still don’t see signing 32 year old Reiff to a one year deal keeps them from taking a highly regarded OT prospect that falls into their lap. Not saying it won’t, but I don’t see that as a smart plan for them. Then again they aren’t the smartest run organization lol.

Well instead of trying to play it cute better get that kid some protect with your first pick. Instead of the “a good OL should drop in the 2nd round etc” When you have a serious need you don’t mess around like that.

That is pretty much the way I see it. I know is not easy to balance a team out. If the Bengals feel like they need to focus more in one end than the other then they will.

I agree with the idea that the Dolphins have a good TE and adding another/better one doesn’t really move the needle. Unless the plan is to move on from Gesicki, that position is good enough. You could say something similar about LT. You already have a good, young player at that position and while the draft pick may be an improvement, the team overall hasn’t really changed. The problem areas remain, and last year, WR and RB stood out on offense. That’s why I would pick a WR at 6 and I’m leaning Smith over Chase at the moment. Running back comes later, 36 seems like a good spot

Outside of the top 2, the Bengals are the most predictable team in this draft. Unlikely to trade and the pick will either be Sewell/Chase with Pitts as a possibility if he's there. The fact that they would go to any of these guys pro days is completely unsurprising. It would be irresponsible not to. The news would be if they didn't go.
You mean that the Bengals won’t be taking the 5th QB in the draft. I thought that with Burrow coming off major knee surgery, the Bengals would surely be taking a QB. This is going to upset all the Pitts fans who will extremely upset if the Bengals select Pitts instead of a QB at 5. 😉

Back
Top Bottom