Oregon pro day 4/2 Penei Sewell | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Oregon pro day 4/2 Penei Sewell

Meh, we all have our preferences and options. Sewell is a beast I would love to have. Pitts is a beast I would love to have. Even though I see Waddle as the #3 overall talented WR...he is a beast I would love to have in the slot. All 5 are amazing and each one make the Dolphins better IMO.

Honestly, no.

The reason the Gronk / Hernandez show worked was simple. Hernandez WAS a WR, and Gronk was a true two-way TE. Both were elite and didn't really have overlapping roles. Hernandez was a big physical blocking WR, but he had elite quickness to separate, and if I had to compare his game play to a prospect in this draft it would have been a poor man's Ja'Marr Chase. Gronk was absolutely elite as a pass catcher, pass protector, run blocker ... just an off-the-charts talented player who could _literally_ do it all at an elite level. When Gronk was in the game the Patriots passing game averaged an extra YARD in it's YPA compared to when he wasn't on the field ... even when they weren't throwing towards him. And the Patriots averaged MORE THAN A YARD extra YPC in the run game when Gronk was in the game. That's the very definition of dominance.

Pitts can not come close to playing the Hernandez role ... he's just not as quick out of his cuts. Pitts is a mismatch weapon just like Gesicki. You can debate who is better at it, but they're the same type of player who is best utilized as a Move TE/Slot WR focusing on size mismatches vs. DB's and speed mismatches vs. LB's. They're best moving north-south and are not elite change of direction athletes. They have an exceptional vertical silo and tremendous wingspans to generate an incredibly forgiving catch radius for a QB and an extra story in the house to always be open 'up top' and strong contested catch strength to come down with it reliably. They dominate 50/50 balls, outrun LB's and out-size DB's, are always open, and require an eye from the safety. Trying to turn either of them into a guy doing a lot of sharp-cut routes is a waste of material. Get an X receiver who specializes in that and also gives you the speed and size.

These people who want Pitts are the same type of guys who thought Jarvis Landry was a WR#1 and could play on the outside. It's like in chess, you want your knights in the middle where they have lots of options and can dominate. You want your rooks patrolling the edges and controlling entire lines of the game.
I don't fully agree with you but it's a tremendous point very well made.

With transcendent talents you find a way. Pitts can really be lined up as an X a la Mike Evans, in the slot running z routes or as a classic TE.

I appreciate he can't necessarily be as good an X as an elite college prospect who only plays that position, but the key is to move him around and make the D constantly have to account for him. That's what opens the game for your other pieces. He doesn't have to be able to overlap directly what Gronk did in order to create the same effect.

On the Gronk Hernandez discussion, could Sage Surratt be kind of a poor man's Aaron? He gets great separation with his physicality. Just wonder if DBs play off him can he get himself open...

Aaron Hernadez was a special talent..no doubt. HOF talent, if things played out wayyyy differently! Alas, they didn't. Zero excuses for his personal life.

Read an article earlier today suggesting Sewell could drop out of the top 10, if the Bengals pass on him at #5. Apparently Sewell had an excellent pro day and opened some eyes with his athleticism. But in spite of his performance, there has been some thought he could drop. If he's there at #18? Does Miami pounce?

Read an article earlier today suggesting Sewell could drop out of the top 10, if the Bengals pass on him at #5. Apparently Sewell had an excellent pro day and opened some eyes with his athleticism. But in spite of his performance, there has been some thought he could drop. If he's there at #18? Does Miami pounce?
Heck yeah..I'd say yes

I don't fully agree with you but it's a tremendous point very well made.

With transcendent talents you find a way. Pitts can really be lined up as an X a la Mike Evans, in the slot running z routes or as a classic TE.

I appreciate he can't necessarily be as good an X as an elite college prospect who only plays that position, but the key is to move him around and make the D constantly have to account for him. That's what opens the game for your other pieces. He doesn't have to be able to overlap directly what Gronk did in order to create the same effect.
Yeah. Pitts is a lot like Darren Waller. Give me some of that please. He got Nelson Agholor paid.

Seriously doubt it happens. But yeah! You take him as he would be ab absolute steal at that point.

When all the smoke clears i think the Bengals draft him.

The worst thing that could happen to that franchise is Burrow goes down again.

Seriously doubt it happens. But yeah! You take him as he would be ab absolute steal at that point.

When all the smoke clears i think the Bengals draft him.

The worst thing that could happen to that franchise is Burrow goes down again.
You could be right. I hope so.

You could be right. I hope so.

Can you imagine if Burrow goes down again and you drafted an offensive player like Chase?
That's the type of stuff that gets entire coaching staffs fired. There's no way you can justify taking Chase and your OL guy later in the 2nd round.
Essentially letting all the top rated ones like Sewell, Slater etc pass you in this draft.

There's no logic to be able to seel taking Chase etc was better than securing that OL for best possible starting 5 and depht in case of an injury at a key position.

Can you imagine if Burrow goes down again and you drafted an offensive player like Chase?
That's the type of stuff that gets entire coaching staffs fired. There's no way you can justify taking Chase and your OL guy later in the 2nd round.
Essentially letting all the top rated ones like Sewell, Slater etc pass you in this draft.

There's no logic to be able to seel taking Chase etc was better than securing that OL for best possible starting 5 and depht in case of an injury at a key position.
Yep. But stupider things have occurred. Unbelievably. I hope not. I want Sewell gone before us..I don't want Sewell for us but the less of Pitts/Chase/Smith/Waddle gone before us and the more choices, the better!

I guess it would depend on what else they had done.

If they'd taken... say... Cosmi or Mayfield in the top of the second, and Leatherwood or Little in the top of the third... they would have done very well by Mr. Burrow.

If that happens, (spoiler alert, not a chance in hell) Miami would be smart to get more picks at that point! Wash, Indy, Chi all need OT and will pony up. As much as I LOVE SEWELL....the picks would be more worth it IMO at that point.

Back
Top Bottom