Ota Tweets | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ota Tweets

Moving in the pocket has been his biggest weakness, glad to see the coaches see that too. I also agree he has improved over time.

He looked like ‘trash’ really Omar, that might have been a little overstated- but whatever- I pay no more attention to his opinions now.

His pocket movement was never trash. In fact, it was a highly touted part of his game coming out of college. He was "coached" (I use that term very loosely) early in his career to stay in the pocket. Lazor cleaned up his footwork but didn't really allow freelancing. Gase is coaching him to move a little sooner when the play isn't there and actually use his ability to throw on the run.

His pocket movement was never trash. In fact, it was a highly touted part of his game coming out of college. He was "coached" (I use that term very loosely) early in his career to stay in the pocket. Lazor cleaned up his footwork but didn't really allow freelancing. Gase is coaching him to move a little sooner when the play isn't there and actually use his ability to throw on the run.

I think he's one of the better passers on the run. Why it wasn't used early in his career is beyond me.

In fairness, it's been kinda tough to evaluate his pocket presence thus far. Our oline was atrocious for most of his time under center. I thought his pocket movement looked pretty good his last season, when our line was playing well. That instant pressure we were giving up, right up the middle is tough to escape, no matter how good, or quick you are .
This.

I’ll even say it wasn’t something he was good at during the years prior to Gase. But has been improving throughout his career and it’s starting to really pay off hopefully

Bullets are not firing yet, so let's not get too up or too down. But it's encouraging to see the WR's and QB's on the same page more often.

Way to change the subject. Rolling OUTSIDE the pocket is not movement IN the pocket.

pretty sure what buddy was referencing was when the pocket starts to collapse him being told to move out of the pocket and find a receiver while on the run. where as earlier on in his career he didn't leave the pocket as often, was told to pretty much sit back there with his 1.2 seconds of protection and take the hit or throw it up., gase is kind of saying okay, you feel it, move go go go.

and as far as omar goes, why I posted the tweet I did, was in reference to the RT deep td to DP, and the first comment was Ace Ventura putting on the deal with it glasses, and it said"do they hang out though". but I just like to read his stupidity. I think I forgot to switch to a burner account, because he was sucking himself off yesterday or the day before. omar tweeted something about leaving the guys we lost in the past. about 30 minutes later he retweeted it and replied to himself that "omar yes you are correct, we need to quit talking about these players" and just seeing all the people calling him out. its interesting his stupidity

Way to change the subject. Rolling OUTSIDE the pocket is not movement IN the pocket.

pretty sure what buddy was referencing was when the pocket starts to collapse him being told to move out of the pocket and find a receiver while on the run. where as earlier on in his career he didn't leave the pocket as often, was told to pretty much sit back there with his 1.2 seconds of protection and take the hit or throw it up., gase is kind of saying okay, you feel it, move go go go.

and as far as omar goes, why I posted the tweet I did, was in reference to the RT deep td to DP, and the first comment was Ace Ventura putting on the deal with it glasses, and it said"do they hang out though". but I just like to read his stupidity. I think I forgot to switch to a burner account, because he was sucking himself off yesterday or the day before. omar tweeted something about leaving the guys we lost in the past. about 30 minutes later he retweeted it and replied to himself that "omar yes you are correct, we need to quit talking about these players" and just seeing all the people calling him out. its interesting his stupidity

Crump said it much better than I did. Whether Tannehill goes outside the pocket or just moves within the pocket isn't as important as doing what's necessary to extend the play. He's gifted at throwing on the run and that wasn't utilized early in his career as much. To your point though, Sun, he's a lot better now at knowing how to extend the play.

Funny his pocket presence wasn't an issue when he had his best line in 2012 (though still ranked 23rd) with Jake Long and stout guards in Incognito and John Jerry in front of him however most of the best QB's pocket presence will look like trash when their OL is consistently ranked in the bottom three. McKinnie, Clabo, Martin, Colledge, Thomas, Turner, Fox, Douglas and Bushrod, that's your trash there.

Crump said it much better than I did. Whether Tannehill goes outside the pocket or just moves within the pocket isn't as important as doing what's necessary to extend the play. He's gifted at throwing on the run and that wasn't utilized early in his career as much. To your point though, Sun, he's a lot better now at knowing how to extend the play.

I was just trying to say what I thought you meant, showing you weren't trying to change the subject

because...
"I'm not your buddy, friend"
"he's not your friend, guy"
"I'm not your guy, buddy"
"He's not your buddy, friend"
"I'm not your friend, guy."

Funny his pocket presence wasn't an issue when he had his best line in 2012 (though still ranked 23rd) with Jake Long and stout guards in Incognito and John Jerry in front of him however most of the best QB's pocket presence will look like trash when their OL is consistently ranked in the bottom three. McKinnie, Clabo, Martin, Colledge, Thomas, Turner, Fox, Douglas and Bushrod, that's your trash there.

Funny thing is, going back to our buddy Omar cause after mentioning his pocket presence looked better and its noticeable. he had already said that RT was a tad better maybe but it wasn't noticeable...ummmm. someone brought up how good he looked in pocket in 2016... "well that's just cause he had the unicorns (the OL when it was healthy and good) its like come on dumbass, you can knock him when the line is good, but say he sucks when he has no time to throw

Think coming into the league his pocket presence was average at worse, certainly don't recall any scouting reports citing it as a weakness. Unfortunately it degenerated by a combination of Philbin and bottom of the barrel line play only for Gase to get his feet moving again and resurrect what was subconsciously already there.

Think coming into the league his pocket presence was average at worse, certainly don't recall any scouting reports citing it as a weakness. Unfortunately it degenerated by a combination of Philbin and bottom of the barrel line play only for Gase to get his feet moving again and resurrect what was subconsciously already there.

Quite the opposite:

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2012/4/23/2967850/draft-profile-ryan-tannehill

Tannehill's arguably best attribute is his pocket presence. He senses pressure and can move around effectively in the pocket to evade the rush. When he needs to break the pocket he does a great job keeping his eyes down field and finding an open receiver.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1017781-ryan-tannehill-2012-nfl-draft-scouting-report

POCKET PRESENCE: 7.0
When you hear a mobile quarterback you automatically think someone who will tuck and run at the first sign of trouble, but that's not the case with Tannehill. He stands tall in the pocket and moves his feet very well coming out of center and shotgun sets.

He isn't pressured much as A&M moves him around on designed waggles and bootlegs. Through three games I found very little evidence of him handling pressure in his face. This play was encouraging because Tannehill felt the pressure bending around him and made a good move to step up in the pocket and give himself a run-pass opportunity. This is what scouts will need to see.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/ryan-tannehill?id=2532956

When dropping, Tannehill is calm and makes it obvious that he is a natural athlete at the position. He has a good feel for pressure and has turned his scrambling ability into a big asset, as he has developed a great feel for extending the play.

And finally these two in depth reviews of his college play.

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/02/09/managing-the-pocket-part-i-texas-am-qb-ryan-tannehill/

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/02/11/managing-the-pocket-part-ii-texas-am-qb-ryan-tannehill/

I was just trying to say what I thought you meant, showing you weren't trying to change the subject

because...
"I'm not your buddy, friend"
"he's not your friend, guy"
"I'm not your guy, buddy"
"He's not your buddy, friend"
"I'm not your friend, guy."

I appreciate the clarification either way. Hahaha

In fairness, it's been kinda tough to evaluate his pocket presence thus far. Our oline was atrocious for most of his time under center. I thought his pocket movement looked pretty good his last season, when our line was playing well. That instant pressure we were giving up, right up the middle is tough to escape, no matter how good, or quick you are .

Yup he was noticeably better in this dept last year, definitely agree there.

Back
Top Bottom