Our 1st & 3rd For Dallas' Two 1st | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our 1st & 3rd For Dallas' Two 1st

I really doubt that.

If Saban is using a draft value chart, no way in hell he goes for that. I'm sure he's not using the exact same one that I am, but there aint one out there where the #11 and #20 add up to the #2, much less with a 3rd thrown in.

According to mine, the #2 is worth 2600, out 3rd(#70) is worth 240. That's 2840 points, compared to the 2100 points the #11 and #20 is worth. 740 point difference, that's still another #1 pick in value we'd be losing there.

DOLFANMIKE said:
I'd want a player thrown in on that deal. Someone like RB Rashard Lee (Sp?) or a young OL up and comer.

We have enough young OL with talent. That wouldn't help us much.

LostInPatsLand said:
Instead of a third-round pick, we can always throw in a player. I know Dallas has needed a corner in the past, so dare I say Surtain????? :hide:

Our first rounder and Surtain seems like a lot. Either way, with Surtain or a 3rd rounder like is being reported, I think they should give us a pick next year.

Nublar7 said:
True, but even with the trade chart Dallas would get the better end of the deal just swapping 1st rounders with us.

2nd pick = 2600
11th pick = 1250
20th pick = 850

Dolphins get: 2100
Cowboys Get: 2600

Now if you throw in the 3rd rounder we are even deeper in debt.
The problem with the chart is the assumption that the distribution in the quality of the players remains fixed, when in fact, it doesn't.

The top picks in the draft this year as a whole are weaker than average. At least, this is what I've read. The second and third rounds, however, might be average in quality.

Shouldn't this reality lead to a little flexibility when determining the relative values of draft picks?

Perhaps teams every year should start out with a template trade chart, and fine tune it as prospects are examined. Because so much money is on the line, soon you're gonna see statisticians get involved in this process, if they aren't already!

LostInPatsLand said:
The problem with the chart is the assumption that the distribution in the quality of the players remains fixed, when in fact, it doesn't.

The top picks in the draft this year as a whole are weaker than average. At least, this is what I've read. The second and third rounds, however, might be average in quality.

Shouldn't this reality lead to a little flexibility when determining the relative values of draft picks?

Seems like your the only one who realizes this.

Since this board is largely inclined to drafting Ronnie Brown:

1- Ronnie Brown
2- Adrian McPherson
3- Ronald Fields

OR

1- Cedric Benson
2(trade down)- Adrian McPherson
2 (Surtain)- Chris Spencer
3- Ronald Fields

It could work out really well for us. I'd try to press the Cowboys to take nothing at all other than our 2nd, but I wouldn't mind giving them a pick for them to do the deal.

If the rumor is true then another team will come in with a better offer soon.

FOR THE THOUSANDTH TIME THE CHART IS NOT A RULEBOOK

Jaj said:
Seems like your the only one who realizes this.

Since this board is largely inclined to drafting Ronnie Brown:

1- Ronnie Brown
2- Adrian McPherson
3- Ronald Fields

OR

1- Cedric Benson
2(trade down)- Adrian McPherson
2 (Surtain)- Chris Spencer
3- Ronald Fields

It could work out really well for us. I'd try to press the Cowboys to take nothing at all other than our 2nd, but I wouldn't mind giving them a pick for them to do the deal.

If the rumor is true then another team will come in with a better offer soon.

FOR THE THOUSANDTH TIME THE CHART IS NOT A RULEBOOK
Cedric Benson will make it out the top ten?

Very likely he will, especially if we trade down.

- Arizona is rumored to have finally completed its deal for Henry.
- If we trade down the Cowboys would take Edwards.
- Cleveland would take Smith or Rodgers.
- Chicago likely would take Ronnie Brown.
- Tampa Bay could take Carnell or Mike Williams, but Mike is more likely.
- Tenn. will take a CB
- Minnesota will take Mike Williams if he is there, but will most likely take Merriman as a RE.
- Arizona has made its deal they will take a CB
- Washington DE
- Lions DE
- We get Benson, possibly even Cadillac available...

Nublar7 said:
Let me add some wood to this fire. I read this same thing on a Chargers board(I don't remember why they posted it. :confused: ). I didn't post it here because I just figured it was some poster trying to create trouble. Maybe this has some legs. However, we would get robbed on this trade. It would be more fair if it was our 2nd pick for their two 1st rounders, with no extra 3rd rounder.

Its ok...with doing that trade it would allow us to trade surtain for a 3rd...and 5th round pick instead of a 2nd

The value chart should be tweaked this year, but not 25%

I would say 10% tops. If we are forfeiting 2840 and gaining 2100, that's too much of a subjective adjustment.

But this is not the most unrealistic trade rumor I've seen, especially if Saban doesn't think there is a vast difference between 2 and 11 and has 1 or 2 players targeted who figure to be there at 11. The gap between 20 and early 3rd round might be more than typical this year.

No way Parcells trades two first rounders to go up to #2 in this year's draft. Value wise, we'd be getting the low end of the stick, but in reality, we'd probably be getting better value. Parcells isn't stupid. If theres any validity to this rumor, it makes sense that he wants a 3rd from us as well.

bmark549 said:
No way Parcells trades two first rounders to go up to #2 in this year's draft. Value wise, we'd be getting the low end of the stick, but in reality, we'd probably be getting better value. Parcells isn't stupid. If theres any validity to this rumor, it makes sense that he wants a 3rd from us as well.

Why is there no way? I doubt there's a better immediate answer to Dallas' offensive problems than a receiver like Braylon Edwards. Has anyone else heard this rumor by the way.

Hey Jaj,
where are you hearing that Arizona has essentially completed the Henry trade? Last I heard the Bills want Shelton and a 4th. Arizona isn't willing to add in the 4th.

It was on Pro Sports Daily, came out of an Arizona paper I believe close to about a week ago. Supposedly it'll be kept in the dark until draft day. Even if they did select a RB in all likeliness there would be a RB left for us.

BTW, If Arizona completes the trade, I would think there is a trade to be had with Arizona. They would have Fitz and Boldin along with Henry so they just need a QB. It will probably cost a ton next year to get Leinart so they can't count on that.

Back
Top Bottom