Our best year as a team that you witnessed? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our best year as a team that you witnessed?

1972 Dolphins...That team went to 3 straight Superbowls...Was 32-2 over 72-73’.

The No-name defense shut Washington out in Super Bowl 7....with a Yepremian Gaffe being the only Washington points....and they only surrendered 7 points to Fran Tarkenton in Super Bowl 8....who had all the records before Marino.

7 offensive points allowed Total in back to back Super Bowls!

I was just a fan of Dan Marino when I was young. Now I have loyalty.

I wasn't born in 1972 so I didn't see that team .
I would have to say the year we beat the Bears ,who eventually went on to win the Super Bowl.
It's to bad we lost to the Patriots in the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.
Then to make matters worse , those bastards made a song about beating us
Man I was so pissed.

I was born in 1968, so unfortunately I only have vague memories of 72 and 73. Can't honestly claim them. I do remember the fight song being on in my house. That's about it. The 1984 team was the best I saw. Even though 82 played a much closer Super Bowl, 1984 would've blown their doors off. Unfortunately, they went up against an all time great team in their backyard. 1984 was pretty damn magical for those that remember. Dan and the Marks Bros were unstoppable and fun to watch. Dan was a trailblazer.

The best team i've ever seen was that 2002 team that choked at the end of the regular season.
Ouch.

I tip my hat to all of you who only remember the last 25 years or so. The Dolphins won their last Super Bowl about three months before I was born. But at least I got to experience the 80s and early 90s— the Silver and Bronze Ages of Miami Dolphins football. We’re well past the Copper and Iron ages now. This isn’t even the Aluminum Foil age. At this point it’s the Iron Filings Age.

Last edited:
1984/1985 was a tremendous ride. The early 90s were good (1990, 1992, 1994). I don’t think any teams since have been as good as those.

Fortunately I have seen every season played by the Dolphins since 1966. So obviously the undefeated season of 1972 rates as their best overall season. While nothing can beat an undefeated season. I actually think the 1973 team that won the SB against the Vikings was probably the best team the Dolphins ever had, but since they lost 2 games during the regular season they will never get the same praise that the 1972 team does.
Yes, I would say the same the 72 team gets the praise but the 73 team was more dominant. I also like the 85 team that beat the bears but fell apart against the Pats of all teams in the AFC championship game, I was looking forward to round 2 of the Bears vs Dolphins.

I saw Marino play at the tail end of his career so I would say the 2002 Dolphins team was a very talented team but then....Fielder got hurt and.....Ray Lucas happend :bobdole: . We had the league leading rusher in Ricky Williams and JT was leading the NFL in sacks, O line and D line were both dominate. Championship caliber team with no QB, shame.

Like many others, has to be 84. Marino was unstoppable and it was so fun to watch.

I was born December 73 so I can’t comment on the glory years since I was only a month old the last time they won a Super Bowl

1984...by a mile. Didn’t get to see early-70s glory days. Marino was so good, I just didn’t think they could be stopped. Which led to a lot of tears on Super Bowl Sunday. Yes, I can admit that I cried.

This.

Seeing Marino change the NFL was really something.

They just had the bad timing to do it the same time SF had an all time great team.

Back
Top Bottom