Our best year as a team that you witnessed? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our best year as a team that you witnessed?

Ouch.

I tip my hat to all of you who only remember the last 25 years or so. The Dolphins won their last Super Bowl about three months before I was born. But at least I got to experience the 80s and early 90s— the Silver and Bronze Ages of Miami Dolphins football. We’re well past the Copper and Iron ages now. This isn’t even the Aluminum Foil age. At this point it’s the Iron Filings Age.

It's fine, at some point we're going to get one. My intuition tells me we're going to get one this decade.

The failures make the success worth it.

We have had to deal with the Michael Jordan of the NFL the last 20 years and he's finally gone.

Ouch.

I tip my hat to all of you who only remember the last 25 years or so. The Dolphins won their last Super Bowl about three months before I was born. But at least I got to experience the 80s and early 90s— the Silver and Bronze Ages of Miami Dolphins football. We’re well past the Copper and Iron ages now. This isn’t even the Aluminum Foil age. At this point it’s the Iron Filings Age.

lead poisoning age

I wasn't born in 1972 so I didn't see that team .
I would have to say the year we beat the Bears ,who eventually went on to win the Super Bowl.
It's to bad we lost to the Patriots in the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.
Then to make matters worse , those bastards made a song about beating us
Man I was so pissed.

I remember that year, Iess going to college, and working parttime at night
at a dept Store.

One of the guys that worked there was.a huge Bears fan, and after we beat them he kept harrassing me that if we reached the SB, they were going to lay such a huge revenge beating, the mercy rule would have to be used.

That game against the Patriots really hurt, I think we measured up much better against them then the Patriots.

Not saying we were guarateed to beat them a 2nd time...wouid have been much tougher, but we sure would have given them a much better game.

My season was the season Marino broke all the records in 84...Though I kind of remember the 72 and 73 season, I was too young , and unaware how big an accumplishment Miami had made.

Somebody can correct me if I’m mistaken, but my understanding is that second loss in 1973 was a bit of a throwaway in the sense everything was all sewn up and it was winnable if the Dolphins applied themselves instead of gearing up for the playoffs. That loss at the Raiders was understandable in the sense that the Raiders were hyped up. They played a tough defensive game but that’s a tough proposition. Play at Oakland against a very good team who’s hyped up to play you coming off an undefeated season. The Raider defense played well and the offense couldn’t get going. The Dolphin D was solid.

Miami was considerably better than Oakland that year, as shown when they thrashed them in the playoffs.

Bottom line, Miami’s 1973 season was pretty darn incredible too. It’s amazing how stacked those teams were. People know the record but that was an incredible team. I’d say even the Lombardi Packers wouldn’t want any part of them.

Born in 57 and have seen it all but what gave me goose bumps was watching Marino shredded defenses in 1984.Now that was something specialI have no doubt in today's game Marino would have thrown for over 60 tds. A special memory I'll bring to my grave

My old man had 3 season tixs 71-96 until I moved to NC. I was 10 11 12 during our dynasty years. I would say 73 team. The most fun for sure was the 84 and 85 years. Have had season tix the last 5 years with a buddy how was the best seats being a 66 season ticket Sec143 row 23. I keep hanging in there cause This worm will turn after out last 15 years of mediocracy. I feel a whole generation of fans have been lost because of it.
All you younger generation types, do you remember the Heats big three years? Just wait this is a football town. Looks like Mr. Ross got it right with Grier and Flo I really feel excited about our team.
This town loves a winner. I hope we get to see the games live %#@!% COVID 19I WANT LIVE SPORTS

the 72-74 teams aside, my pick is the 93 pre Marino injury team, they were shaping up to be a champion, they'd just lost the previous afc title game, were hungry, had a running game and defense before everybody got hurt. 84 was fun but our defense sucked. The 82 team was Shula's best coaching job IMHO, they were fun to watch as overachievers. Cmon man he got to the super bowl with Cefalo, Hardy, Vigoritto, Woodley etc

I became a fan in 1982-83 during strike season we went 7-2 and went to Super Bowl XVII an loss.

These were in my eyes the best teams as I witnessed during these times.
1984-85 (16-3 Lost in Super Bowl XIX)
1992-93 (12-6 Lost in AFC Championship)
2008-09 (11-6 Lost in Wild Card Playoffs)

But, I always know it was when I was only 2 for 1972-73 season and only 3 for 1973-74 season. Those are the absolute best ever by the Miami Dolphins.

I became a fan when they beat the Vikings in Super Bowl VIII, so I didn't witness the 72 and 73 teams in action, except for the last Super Bowl victory.

82 was really good, but that offense wasn't scaring anyone. 83 SHOULD'VE been the year, but those darn special teams were less than special in the playoffs. 84 was a joyride, but the ride ended one game too soon. 92, 93 and 94 were heartbreaking in their own ways. 95 was just a clusterfudge, as was the end of 2002. 2008 was a lot of fun, too. I didn't mind them losing to the Ravens in the playoffs because the week before, they beat the Jets at the Meadowlands, so that was like my Super Bowl that year. 2016 was another fatally flawed joyride.

2020 and beyond looks really promising!!!

84*,85*, 92, 98,99,2000, 2001,2008 and 2016.. this were great yr. Other were good team.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom