Our best year as a team that you witnessed? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our best year as a team that you witnessed?

I would say the 1984 team was the best that I saw. I've been a fan since 1981. I remember not being able to watch the Super Bowl all the way through, because each time the 49ers scored and Dan Marino took yet another hit, it broke my 11 year old heart. That team was awesome though.

I would say the 1984 team was the best that I saw. I've been a fan since 1981. I remember not being able to watch the Super Bowl all the way through, because each time the 49ers scored and Dan Marino took yet another hit, it broke my 11 year old heart. That team was awesome though.
My 19-year-old heart didn't do much better!

It really grinds my gears how thick headed Wannstedt was when he was running the team. He had such a hard on to make jay fiedler happen that he passed on Drew Brees when his most respected scout was literally slamming the table telling him to draft him. Drew Brees in 02 or 03 may have gotten us to a super bowl. The Dolphins played the patriots tough in both games in 03.

That second NE game in 2003 the team barely got off the bus. Granted it was essentially in a blizzard but neither team was really capable of doing much in that.

1984 for me but I'll forever say 1993 was Marino's best chance

I don’t see how you can say that since the ‘84 team actually made it to the SB. Despite losing, that was as good a chance as any.

I realize Marino went down in ‘93, so we won’t ever know what that team might have done. But the leftovers still lost 7 total games.

It can be debated whether ‘84 was truly the best Marino era team or not, but, in hindsight, that season was clearly Marino’s best chance.

I’d go with ‘85 as #2 best chance as they reached the AFC title game, at home, and were a win away from a rematch against a Bears team they destroyed weeks earlier.

First football game i remember at age of 4, was Super Bowl 26 between bills and redskins. I was hooked. The following year i had to choose a favorite team. Living in the Poconos, there were 3 team within 90 minutes of me (Eagles, Giants, Jets) for some odd reason, still unknown to this day, I became a Dolphins fan. The 1992 season made a new football fan, into a phinatic. Unfortunately, as the story goes, the dolphins lost to the bills in the conference championship game that year and only won four playoffs game since then. Sometimes I think me choosing to be a fan cursed the Dolphins. That year in 1992 when i was 4-5 years old i chose all my favorite sports teams. None have won a championship in my lifetime, Im 32 years old. (Pacers-Tigers-Sharks)

Somebody can correct me if I’m mistaken, but my understanding is that second loss in 1973 was a bit of a throwaway in the sense everything was all sewn up and it was winnable if the Dolphins applied themselves instead of gearing up for the playoffs. That loss at the Raiders was understandable in the sense that the Raiders were hyped up. They played a tough defensive game but that’s a tough proposition. Play at Oakland against a very good team who’s hyped up to play you coming off an undefeated season. The Raider defense played well and the offense couldn’t get going. The Dolphin D was solid.

Miami was considerably better than Oakland that year, as shown when they thrashed them in the playoffs.

Bottom line, Miami’s 1973 season was pretty darn incredible too. It’s amazing how stacked those teams were. People know the record but that was an incredible team. I’d say even the Lombardi Packers wouldn’t want any part of them.

Nobody was surprised at the loss to the Raiders. As soon as the schedule came out I remember media members and even Dolphins fans counting the numbers and saying the streak ends there.

Miami got outplayed in that game. The Raiders were very smart in that they pounded it at the Dolphins all game long on the ground and very seldom passed. Frustrating game. I remember watching it with my family and there was seldom any noise or reason to be optimistic. It was like they were methodically defeating us with our own game plan.

Keep in mind that Lamonica was past his prime in 1973. But Al Davis was stubborn and didn't want to switch full time to Kenny Stabler. All the reports were that Davis was dictating to Madden in terms of the starting quarterback. Oakland fans were restless for the change, especially after the season opening loss at Minnesota in 1973. That means the Raiders were in desperation mode entering our game in week two. Oakland finally switched to Stabler a few weeks later.

The Colts defeat was another matter entirely. Yes, Griese sat and so did maybe 10-12 other starters. Nobody thought it would matter. I don't remember the exact pointspread but I'm sure Miami was double digit favorite -- or close enough -- even on the road.

That defeat was so stunning, especially the way it played out. All of a sudden there was semi-panic approaching the playoffs, and especially in regard to the passing game. Griese was rusty in 1973 and really had a lousy season by his standards. Fortunately he broke out of it in the season finale hosting Detroit. He threw 4 touchdown passes. That calmed matters locally and the form carried over to the playoffs, where the Dolphins were dominant except for one sloppy stretch hosting the Bengals in the opener. I think that was late first half. We were controlling the game then all of a sudden there were a couple of mistakes and the margin dropped lower than it should have been.

Yes, it was conventional wisdom at the time that the 1973 team was superior. I understand the logic and I think I fell for it for a while. I no longer do. For one thing, if you argue 1973 as the best Dolphins team then you are throwing away all the elements and logic that elevate Miami 1972 on the all time lists. If twice flawed is preferred above unbeaten then you are opening up the floodgates. There is no longer any argument when the '72 Dolphins are doubted or diminished on those lists.

Besides, as I have aged and followed so many sports I have steadily recognized the value of running the table. Give me the person/team who dedicates and wins and wins and wins again above someone who throws up a dominant effort once in a while but otherwise doesn't sustain. It reminds me of the Mo Farah debate on track and field forums. He always did just enough to win, controlling the race at the front and then dashing away down the final stretch. It was fascinating to watch. But many track and field fans can't stand Farah. They want all the glory to go to runners who put up worlds records in one race, even if they do nothing the next race.

The way we lost that Raiders game also causes me to question 1973. As I mentioned, it was relentless pounding by the Raiders ground game. I don't think the 1972 team would have been susceptible to that or stood for that. The Raiders had nearly twice as many rushing attempts as the Dolphins, 46-24. The only 1972 game we should have lost was at Minnesota. I have emphasized that countless times. Other people who remember that era will always report the same. The Vikings were energized and clearly outplayed us. But that game was more competitive physically than the Raiders game. Minnesota won the rushing attempts 35-26. Unlike 1973 at Oakland it was never a situation of feeling helpless and silent in the living room as the opponent churned out one first down after another on the ground, keeping our offense off the field.

Excellent point about logical reasoning. If you say 1973 was a better team then that opens the door to any 1-2 loss team to be better than the 1972 team.

That 1972 team was so impressive. They literally had to go on the road in the playoffs, which is highly confusing to modern fans who don’t realize how they did it back then.

I was 6 years old in 1973. The first Super bowl team I have lasting memories of was the Steelers. You have no idea how much I appreciate the first hand accounts from Miami fans about those great teams and how it felt.

I think the no name defense moniker has been a disservice. The reality is those teams were loaded.

Shula, Arnsparger, Schellenberger et al. on the coaching staff.

Just to name a few players: Griese, Csonka, Morris, Warfield, Langer, Kuech, Little, Fernandez, Stanfill, Buonoconti, Scott, Anderson. That’s a dozen elite football players without breaking a sweat. I mean, that is a stacked team.

Steeler fans like to throw out Bradshaw, Harris, Swann, Stallworth, Webster, Green, Greenwood, Ham, Lambert, Blount, and Shell. Extremely good in their own right but I’m taking prime Miami.

Last edited:
The year Trace Armstrong sacked Doug Flutie on the 5yard line allowing us to beat Barffalo was great

Odd pick but best year for me was 2016. That team made a lot of clutch plays

Ajayi 62 yard TD run to seal the win against the Steelers
Kenyan Drake kick off return for TD to give Miami late lead vs Jets
Kiko Alonso pick 6 vs Chargers
Touchdown with 36 seconds left against the Rams
Last second drive with Matt Moore to beat the Cardinals on field goal
Andrew Franks 55 yard field goal to take the game to OT against Bills

If they find qb in this era. Dolphins will be allright..if they dont it be another 20 yr. Off same thing.

73 Dolphins all the way, but 72 Dolphins were very good also, Undefeated to Boot. Man I miss the Good ole Days of Winning Dolphins Football.

Back
Top Bottom