Our Defense is Good Enough -part 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Defense is Good Enough -part 2

matt11390

Starter
Reaction score
I started a thread after the Pats loss about our defense and IMO it is good enough for Miami to win a Super Bowl if we could get our offense at an elite level. My simple point was the D isn't great but good enough. Our problem is we can't score any points to take the pressure off our D. Anyway, it made for good discussion. I thought we could break down the defensive backfield to show we are pretty set there except for one starting corner.

Taking an inventory of the backfield we have Marshall, Carroll, McCann, Jones, Culver, Wilson, Patterson, and Stanford. Smith and Clemons are FA's.

But let's look at the headliners. We need to resign Smith along with Clemons and draft a starting corner to play opposite of Smith. Then we have those two along with Jones and Clemons at safety. Then we have Marshall, Patterson, and Carroll as our nickel and reserve corners. IMO this is a good defensive backfield to win us a championship. They are young, relatively inexpensive against the cap, and present stability to the team. Their biggest challenge would be producing more big plays and turnovers.

By keeping Smith and Clemons, this allows us to find only one corner either by FA or the draft which allows the FO to focus most of their efforts on finding offensive playmakers. Thoughts?

Let Starks walk move Odrick inside and get a pass rusher to play opposite of Wake. That will help take the defense to elite status.

The D doesn't get any turnovers to take the pressure off the O.

Starks is a big reason why our defense was so strong this year. Pay the man and keep him here

Let Starks walk move Odrick inside and get a pass rusher to play opposite of Wake. That will help take the defense to elite status.
I couldn't agree more. We let QBs pick us apart with 0 pressure for almost entire games. Elite pass rush will disguise a weak secondary!!!

I like Starks a lot but I think by moving Odrick inside, we wouldn't lose much if anything at all. Odrick is good against the run by setting the edge but offers little to no pass rush against good Tackles. We need a player like DE Michael Johnson from Cincy, who has developed into a very good player in this league. I would love to sign him with the money we would spend on Starks and we would have an Elite Dline!!!

Back
Top Bottom