Our "defense" isn't old!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our "defense" isn't old!!!

Finole

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I'm sick and tired of people saying our defense is old.

DT Rod Wright 7/31/84 Rookie 22 years old
S Jason Allen 7/5/83 Rookie 23 years old
DT Fred Evans 11/6/83 Rookie 23 years old
LB Channing Crowder 12/2/83 2 year vet 23 years old
DT Kevin Vickerson 1/8/83 2 year vet 24 years old
CB Travis Daniels 9/8/82 2 year vet 24 years old
DE Matt Roth 10/14/82 2 year vet 24 years old
S Yeremiah Bell 3/3/78 3 year vet 28 years old
CB Will Allen 8/5/78 6 year vet 28 years old
CB Andre' Goodman 8/11/78 5 year vet 28 years old
S Renaldo Hill 11/12/78 6 year vet 28 years old
DE David Bowens 7/3/77 7 year vet 29 years old
S Travares Tillman 10/8/77 6 year vet 29 years old
LB Donnie Spragan 7/12/76 5 year vet 30 years old
DT Vonnie Holliday 12/11/75 9 year vet 31 years old
DE Jason Taylor 9/1/74 9 year vet 32 years old
DT Dan Wilkinson 3/13/73 13 year vet 33 years old
LB Zach Thomas 9/1/73 11 year vet 33 years old
DE Kevin Carter 9/21/73 12 year vet 33 years old
DT Jeff Zgonina 5/24/70 14 year vet 36 years old
DT Keith Traylor 9/3/69 16 year vet 37 years old

The average age is 28 years old. That's a fairly young defense. If you don't count Zgonina and Traylor (who most likely won't be on the roster next year) the average age is 27 years old. 27 years old?! That's when a player is in his prime.

When people say our defense is old, what they mean is Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor are old. The age of your biggest playmakers characterizes your whole defense. Carter, Traylor and Big Daddy are also three of our biggest playmakers, and three of the oldest guys on our defense.

You don't hear people calling San Diego's defense old because Shawne Merriman is young. Yet NT Jamal Williams (9 year vet), LB Donnie Edwards (11 year vet), and LB Randall Godfrey (11 year vet) are all old.

Jason Taylor and Kevin Carter are old. But Matt Roth is young. We need another DE to compliment Roth for years to come. But we don't need to draft one this year. We can draft a DE in 2008.

Kevin Vickerson, Fred Evans, and Rod Wright are also young. At least one of them should be able to take over for Holliday or Traylor if and when one of them should go. There's definitely some YOUTH at the DT position.

Big Daddy will most likely take over Traylor's starting duties next year. He's four years younger than Traylor. We should be all right for another year.

Down the road, we'll need a younger DT to compliment Evans, Wright and (maybe) Vickerson. We might be able to pick up a quality DT thru free agency. (We had a lot of success with Traylor and Big Daddy.)

Zach Thomas is really old (for a linebacker). But Crowder is really young. Spragan and Pope provide a little depth. We need to draft a LB this year for sure.

The average age of our secondary is 26 years old. If we replace Goodman or Will Allen with a rookie, the average becomes 25 years old.

See what I mean? When you really break it down, our defense isn't really old. ZT and JT are over 30, but Crowder, Daniels, Jason Allen, Roth, Evans, Wright, and Vickerson are all younger than 25.

Bottom line: The media won't stop calling our defense old until ZT and JT are no longer on our roster. And that will be a sad day indeed.

I'm glad someone else brought this up. Because if you take Zgonina and Traylor out of the mix, which will likely be the case next year, our average age will drop considerably.

We don't hear anything about the Patriots defense being old, yet Bruschi, Vrabel, Seau, Harrison, Chad Scott and Colvin are all in late 20's or early to mid 30's.

I could care less how old Taylor and Thomas are. Zach is the same age as Ray Lewis and we don't have to hear about him breaking down. Taylor obviously isn't feeling the effects.

As has been said before. Age is only a number.

I'm glad someone else brought this up. Because if you take Zgonina and Traylor out of the mix, which will likely be the case next year, our average age will drop considerably.

We don't hear anything about the Patriots defense being old, yet Bruschi, Vrabel, Seau, Harrison, Chad Scott and Colvin are all in late 20's or early to mid 30's.

I could care less how old Taylor and Thomas are. Zach is the same age as Ray Lewis and we don't have to hear about him breaking down. Taylor obviously isn't feeling the effects.

As has been said before. Age is only a number.

ICKY in def of the media the reason they say your DEF is old is because 2 or your three playmakers are near the end of their career. That is the only reason Now I feel all ICKY defending the Media

Some Bills, jets, or Pats fan must have given this thread 1 star...or more likely a self-hating Fins fan.

ICKY in def of the media the reason they say your DEF is old is because 2 or your three playmakers are near the end of their career. That is the only reason Now I feel all ICKY defending the Media

So you're saying the Def. POY and another player who made the All-pro team are near the "end" of their careers?

I wish every player on our team then was near the end of his career then because those guys are outperforming players 10 years younger than them.

So you're saying the Def. POY and another player who made the All-pro team are near the "end" of their careers?

I wish every player on our team then was near the end of his career then because those guys are outperforming players 10 years younger than them.

Again you made my point. Your "players" are on the wrong side of thirty. It is bad when your younger players cannot perform close to the level of your aging stars. I will give you Crowder he is a stud and young as well. But with the exception of JT and ZT and Crowder you have no other play-makers. That is why people are saying you DEF is old is all.

If you look at SD yes they have aging vets as well, every team does. But the reason you do not hear they are getting old is because their young players step up and play (yes even if it takes roids)

Your DEF will continually get bashed in the Media, until some of your young players step up and perform to the level of JT and ZT. Big shoes to fill there and until someone plays like these two, the media will bash away

We have some old, some new on the D. Some of our playmakers are getting up there, but they can, at the very least, be solid contributors for a few more years, and at best, keep up their current All Pro stats.
We DO need to look at replacing a few parts, but its not an emergency situation that is gonna fall apart next year if we dont replace the whole D.
Our focus should be on the Offense this draft, but there are some nice young guys in FA that can help the D, im big on Samuel and Briggs.

We have some old, some new on the D. Some of our playmakers are getting up there, but they can, at the very least, be solid contributors for a few more years, and at best, keep up their current All Pro stats.
We DO need to look at replacing a few parts, but its not an emergency situation that is gonna fall apart next year if we dont replace the whole D.
Our focus should be on the Offense this draft, but there are some nice young guys in FA that can help the D, im big on Samuel and Briggs.

Samuel and Briggs... I think everyone in the NFL is high on them but the reality is both will probably be tagged.

Either way with 18 mil under the cap and 1/3rd of the roster FA you would not have the cash to sign one let alone both of them

Samuel and Briggs... I think everyone in the NFL is high on them but the reality is both will probably be tagged.

Either way with 18 mil under the cap and 1/3rd of the roster FA you would not have the cash to sign one let alone both of them

Not true.

It is bad when your younger players cannot perform close to the level of your aging stars.

So it is bad that we don't have 11 all-pro's on our defense?

Kinda hard to perform close to the level of an all-pro....only 9 other players in the entire NFL did.

Every team will have alot of cap money so I don't see many quality guys not getting resigned or tagged. Given that I would expect more trades this year. I also think that makes the draft much more important. Miami's D is in good shape. We have needs like most teams - (LB, and DB) but we are in good shape with alot of youth behind some of the vets. I think the MVP of most teams this offseason because of all of the cap room will be the GM's that can find the middle of the road vet that can come in & fit the system as well as the practice squad type of guy who can come in and be a role player and be groomed to be a starter. Too much money for all teams to be able to change your roster much via FA.

Not true.

Yes last number I seen had you guys at about 18 mil. With around 15 FA to sign.

Now that being said. Asante will get the exact same payday that Nate Lands do not think you will get him much cheaper. And Briggs is the most wanted LB it will take a big payday to land him as well.

Not to mention it will be hard to bring in big name FA in MIA after what has happened in the past 4 weeks.

So it is bad that we don't have 11 all-pro's on our defense?

Kinda hard to perform close to the level of an all-pro....only 9 other players in the entire NFL did.

No, But what is bad when you have your 1st round pick not be able to crack the starting lineup. When your secondary has the exact same numbers as most teams number one corner. That is what i am talking about. UNTIL one of your younger players can perform at a decent Level you will continue to have the "OLD" tag to that DEF

We will be in good cap shape once some contracts are gone. Its definately a likelihood that both those guys are tagged, but then I could see Clem getting the tag too. Depends on what those individuals want and try to force their teams into doing. In the end, if they are available, thats who we should target. If they are not, then we can look elsewhere. But atm all we have to talk about is theories and hypotheses.

We have some really young guys. Allen I hope can do better, and it seems Daniels had an ankle issue all year, so hopefully he can play better. Roth really stepped it up and Crowder has been solid as well, and Bell came in and did some good stuff. Its not like we have JT/ZT and nobody else. We arent in impeccible shape, but we arent a disaster atm either.
How about we worry about the other side of the ball. Our defense needs our O to get a lead every so often if we want to start winning.

Back
Top Bottom