Bodzilla29

The Shiznit
Reaction score
90 - Seth McKinney, OC, Texas A&M 6'3 300 4.97
114 - Randy McMichael, TE, Georgia 6'3 246 4.88
161 - Omar Lowe, DB, Washington 6'0 196 4.5
170 - Sam Simmons, WR/KR, Northwestern 5'9 200 4.5
241 - Leonard Henry, RB, East Carolina 6'0 206 4.58

First 2 picks are B+ at least, very happy.....the next 3 are questionable....seems like there was better value there when we picked, but I will save judgement...if I had to give them a grade now though it would be a C.....So I guess I'll give our draft a B-....Not bad considering the picks we had.

I was pleased with all of them except the first only because I thought Dennis Johnson would have been a better pick than McKinney.

Maybe Johnson would have been better, but let's face it, if Wanny didn't choose an OL with that first pick, A LOT of fans would be screaming about ignoring the OL and so on and so forth.

Our draft should of been:
Terrance Metcalf
Randy McMichael
Kahlil Hill
Joaquin Gonzalez
Trev Faulk

That would of beena good draft.

why should Gonzalez have been our 5th when he was a mid 7th?? He is not what you make him out to be. He is a small, unathletic OT with NO potential.

I agree about Faulk. Metcalf was a toss up at #3, and I might have liked Johnson, but McKinney is good, and I like the pick.

Hill is alright, but I don't think he is as good as his teammate Kasper that went late last year as well. Simmons is a better return man.

Lowe over Gonzalez is a no brainer tho, for sure.

Ice, all of your picks are big name guys from big name schools. Not that you would know anyone else but you gotta realize not every #1 player from every top school is better than a #2 player from a smaller school. I am very pleased with the Simmons pick and I like the Lowe pick as well. As for the Henry pick, I could care less because I doubt he makes the team. The first pick I am fine with as well. Dennis Johnson is ok, but I put him in the same class as McKinney and we needed an o-lineman desperately over a DE. Just look at it this way now, if we get our o-line hurt a lot again like last year, we will be ok because we have decent depth now. I don't see one great player on our o-line but I also don't see a big hole (B.Smith is obviously the worse one on the line but he will do). I agree with most everyone on the McMichael pick. I like it as well but the only problem I am worried about is that he seems to be an injured headcase and it's not good to have injured headcases on your team. Being injured or a headcase is one thing, but being both will get you in big trouble.

He would of been the fifth because we didn't have a sixth. And if we wanted a CB, we should of taken Kevin Thomas.

He would have been a big reach in the 5th round. He is no better than where he was drafted.

Breck....we didn't exactly draft from any small schools....Texas A&M, Georgia, Washington, Northwestern are all huge schools in power conferences....East Carolina is C-USA, not a small conference or school either really.

Right I know they weren't big schools but what I was trying to say was that just because the guy we draft doesn't get much publicity doesn't mean he is bad. I mean look at Chris Chambers. His numbers weren't all that good because they didn't use him much in the Wisky offense. The guys we took most of us have never heard of until we picked them. That doesn't mean they are bad. That just means they didn't get much action in that style of play or they played opposite of a star or they just didn't play until this year. I know I have never heard of these guys but I still like the picks. Whereas Trev Faulk, Joaquin Gonzalez, Kahlil Hill, and Terrence Metcalf, most of us know who these guys are. They are one of the best players on some of the best teams. That still doesn't mean they are better quality than an unknown guy on an average team.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
90 - Seth McKinney, OC, Texas A&M 6'3 300 4.97
114 - Randy McMichael, TE, Georgia 6'3 246 4.88
161 - Omar Lowe, DB, Washington 6'0 196 4.5
170 - Sam Simmons, WR/KR, Northwestern 5'9 200 4.5
241 - Leonard Henry, RB, East Carolina 6'0 206 4.58

First 2 picks are B+ at least, very happy.....the next 3 are questionable....seems like there was better value there when we picked, but I will save judgement...if I had to give them a grade now though it would be a C.....So I guess I'll give our draft a B-....Not bad considering the picks we had.
good analysis. If McKinney ends up startingm then the grade goes up. Same for Randy McMichael. Lowe, Simmons and Henry will have hard time making the team.

Gil Brandt's pick-by-pick analysis of our draft

Miami

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
3 90 Seth McKinney C Texas A&M
Gil's Analysis
Redshirted his first year, then started the past four years. Brother Steve was a fourth-round pick with Indianapolis and became a starter and just signed with the Texans. I don't know if he can play guard, but he can play center very well. Played high school football with Drew Brees.

4 114 Randy McMichael TE Georgia
Gil's Analysis
Played five years and was eligible to play an additional year but chose to come out. He's been a productive athlete with nice size (6-3, 247).

5 161 Omare Lowe CB Washington
Gil's Analysis
Stands 6-0 7/8, weighs 196 pounds and ran a 4.51 at the combine. He's very good against the run but needs to improve his pass-coverage play. This is the kind of player of possibly being a free safety if he puts on some weight, but will end up being a corner.

5 170 Sam Simmons WR Northwestern
Gil's Analysis
He stands 5-8 5/8 and weighs 200 pounds. He's primarily a kick returner and he's pretty good at it. The Dolphins can use him.

7 241 Leonard Henry RB East Carolina
Gil's Analysis
Henry (6-0 7/8, 206) ran 4.52 at the combine. Was a productive player at East Carolina. Not a great receiver, which will hurt him.

Damien Anderson and Leonard Henry are the same type of RB. Both ran in spread out offenses which fluffed up their stats. Neither can run inside. Neither would have made this team.

Trev Faulk is a guy who made a ton of tackles, but most of them were down field. He can't cover, and he doesn't have the lateral movement ability to play side line to side line. Combine that with the fact that he isn't big, doesn't fill holes, and doesn't make many plays at or behind the LOS, and you can see why he is still available.

Joaquin Gonzalez is a limited player with no potential in the NFL. He's one of those guys who have maxed out their size, strength, and athleticism. He's as good as he will ever be.

There had to be a red flag on Metcalf's health for him to drop as far as he did. A lot of teams that needed an offensive lineman passed on him. Something may have shown up on the MRI related to the ankle injury he had as a sophomore.

I like McKinney. I like McMichael. I like Simmons. I don't think Henry has a chance to make it. If Lowe makes it, it is only because we currently don't have a quality 4th cornerback.

I like Tony Okanlawon, who is still available.

Back
Top Bottom