Our First round picks for the past several years | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our First round picks for the past several years

Kyndig

Seasoned Veteran
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Miami 1st round picks since 1990

YEAR PK(OVR) NAME POS SCHOOL

2006 16(16) JASON ALLEN DS TENNESSEE
2005 2(2) RONNIE BROWN RB AUBURN
2004 19(19) VERNON CAREY OG MIAMI (FLA.)
2001 26(26) JAMAR FLETCHER CB WISCONSIN
1998 29(29) JOHN AVERY RB MISSISSIPPI
1997 15(15) YATIL GREEN WR MIAMI (FLA.)
1996 20(20) DARYL GARDENER DT BAYLOR
1995 25(25) BILLY MILNER OT HOUSTON
1994 20(20) TIM BOWENS DT MISSISSIPPI
1993 25(25) O.J. MCDUFFIE WR PENN STATE
1992 7(7) TROY VINCENT DB WISCONSIN
1992 12(12) MARCO COLEMAN LB GEORGIA TECH

Just a topic for discussion. What I can see is that during the Shula years, we drafted quite well. For example with the exception of Milner, I'd say that our picks from 92 thru 94 were VERY GOOD. Then came JJ, who really only had ONE decent first round pick, i.e. Daryl Gardener on the Defense (surprise surprise) then Green and Avery, two colosal busts. The Wanney/Spielman era actually yielded Vernon Carey, which is as many decent players selected in the first round as JJ, and The Saban Era yielded one good player and one who as of this writing is a BUST, although hopefully he'll get better, perhaps moved to CB, but that's probably just mindless optimism.

We have a top 10 pick this year, which means that we truly have an opportunity to get a good player. Out of all of these other previous first round picks can any one tell us how many were in the top 10?

BTW, you may notice the time differential between Vernon Carey and Jamar Fletcher as well as from Avery to Fletcher. Guess what? These were years we didn't have a first round pick!!! What does that tell you when you look at our roster today? How many first round picks are we missing that could/should be on our roster today?

ronnie will be great

I hope so. I'm a huge fan of him for many reasons and truly believe that he along with JT are really the Franchise right now and are hands down our two best players with JT getting the nod for top player for obvious reasons, but Ronnie in my opinion has the potential to be great. And he seems like a really good dude...

that our former regimes sucked at talent evaluation.

Guys like Webb(Pro Bowler as a rookie), TimBo (ROY), Gardner, Vincent/Coleman(although they didn't last long), and McDuffie were good guys for us, and I like the progress Ronnie and Carey have made (need to see Allen get some consistent PT before I judge).

But I've said it several times,

Jimmy did not know the talent coming out like he did when he first got to Dallas ,though he did get some great players in Madison,Surtain,and JT (as well as solid players for us in Brommell and Mixon).

Wanny had no idea how to draft (the only guys he drafted that ar still with the team, and contributing are CC,Bell, and McMike; McKinney is still here, but not really contributing)

Spielman's lone draft was filled with panic. Trading a 2nd for Feeley, a 4th to move 1 spot, and having only 1 1st day pick. we got Carey, Hadnot, and Pope in this draft still with the team. (On the brightside, he did sign Welker).

I loved Saban's first draft, but I have no idea what he was going for last year.

Out of all of these other previous first round picks can any one tell us how many were in the top 10?

quote]

Troy Vincent and Ronnie Brown were the only top 10 guys among those picks. I believe Vincent was #7 overall, and of course, Ronnie was #2 overall.

No wonder we have not been successful. That has to be some of the worst picks other than Ronnie Brown. don't forget the picks we have traded for Ricky Williams, Lamar Gordon, A.J. Feeley and Daunte Culpepper. Two first rounders for Ricky. I love Ricky as a runningback but boy has he killed us. I know some of the others have not been for fist rounders, but the players stink. It is not the team performance that has killed this franchise it is the terrible personnel decisions and draft picks.

[/quote] Guys like Webb(Pro Bowler as a rookie), TimBo (ROY), Gardner, Vincent/Coleman(although they didn't last long), and McDuffie were good guys for us, and I like the progress Ronnie and Carey have made (need to see Allen get some consistent PT before I judge).

Wanny had no idea how to draft (the only guys he drafted that ar still with the team, and contributing are CC,Bell, and McMike; McKinney is still here, but not really contributing) [/quote/]

Yeah, Wanny blew...

I was Cheering when Yatil got drafted then started crying like a baby:boohoo: when he went down.

Milner killed me.:fire:

No wonder we have not been successful. That has to be some of the worst picks other than Ronnie Brown. don't forget the picks we have traded for Ricky Williams, Lamar Gordon, A.J. Feeley and Daunte Culpepper. Two first rounders for Ricky. I love Ricky as a runningback but boy has he killed us. I know some of the others have not been for fist rounders, but the players stink. It is not the team performance that has killed this franchise it is the terrible personnel decisions and draft picks.

Yes...And if you look at that list from 98, how many first round picks have we had? If you look at the other rounds as well with regards to this point, it is deppressing and now wonder that we are not a deeply talented team. My point with this thread is for people to discuss and consider our draft possiblities. I don't think we should trade up. We could consider trading down, although in the early rounds I doubt it likely we'll find a partner although one never knows. We should not trade away anymore draft picks, look what that "Win Now" philosophy of Saban, Wanny/Spielman, JJ strategy got us, although JJ was a much better evaluator of personel then the others mentioned above, obviously not counting Shula, but he was too far back to be relevant today with regards to this discussion...

John Avery a bust? He was one of the most versatile backs we had. Versatile as in NFL, XFL, and CFL. :)

Guys like Webb(Pro Bowler as a rookie), TimBo (ROY), Gardner, Vincent/Coleman(although they didn't last long), and McDuffie were good guys for us, and I like the progress Ronnie and Carey have made (need to see Allen get some consistent PT before I judge).

Wanny had no idea how to draft (the only guys he drafted that ar still with the team, and contributing are CC,Bell, and McMike; McKinney is still here, but not really contributing) [/quote/]

Actually, Wanny drafted Vernon Carey...[/QUOTE]

nope, Carey was Spielman's. Spielman's draft was

Vernon Carey
Will Poole
Rex Hadnot
Tony Bua
Tony Pape
Derrick Pope

Funny, the 2 guys everybody thought we'd cut (Pope and Hadnot) are 2 of only 3 still on our team.

Actually, Wanny drafted Vernon Carey...

nope, Carey was Spielman's. Spielman's draft was

Vernon Carey
Will Poole
Rex Hadnot
Tony Bua
Tony Pape
Derrick Pope

Funny, the 2 guys everybody thought we'd cut (Pope and Hadnot) are 2 of only 3 still on our team.[/quote]

You're absolutely right...

Miami 1st round picks since 1990

2004 19(19) VERNON CAREY OG MIAMI (FLA.)
2001 26(26) JAMAR FLETCHER CB WISCONSIN
1998 29(29) JOHN AVERY RB MISSISSIPPI
1997 15(15) YATIL GREEN WR MIAMI (FLA.)

Wow. That's 7 first round picks that were either busts or no pick at all. Couple this with some astoundingly bad drafts during this era and it does indeed make sense why the fins are lacking playmakers and real depth.

I'll get killed for saying this but I don't think of Ronnie as a great back. He'll never be able to do what LT does, or what Ricky did, or LJ, or Rudi J., I really don't think he scratches the top ten. He is late to the holes, and for his size he should run behind his pads a little more and punish defenders. Not dance and try to make them miss.

Back
Top Bottom