Our Front 6 in Nickel Formations | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Front 6 in Nickel Formations

TheRevoltingBlob

Club Member
Reaction score
People talk about the front 7, but team's only run the traditional base formation on roughly 25% of plays. Nickel is the new base.

Before drafting Phillips, it was pretty obvious that Van Ginkel and Ogbah would be the main Edge guys in situations w 4 man fronts and 2 LB's.

I know VG has been referred to as Van Noy's replacement, but VN played the same amount of snaps in coverage as he did as a pass rusher. Also played half his snaps in the box, which allowed him to be paired with Baker in these situations.

VG played a third of his pass play snaps in coverage, and only was in the box for 10 snaps. Even when Van Noy was out in week 14, he saw 1 snap in the box.

This has just kind of left me wondering how we get Phillips, Ginkel, and Ogbah all on the field in a 6 man front. All 3 should be playing as much as possible if Phillips works out.

McKinney would likely be off the field in many of these situations and I'm not sure which LBer we'd be playing next to Baker in the box.

Do you think we are going to attempt to diversify Van Ginkel's game and try to turn him into a more Van Noy style player? Or am I overthinking this bc we often run our amoeba style D.

Bc right now (if I leave out VG) I'm picturing a line of Phillips, WIlkins, Raekwon, and Ogbah with Baker at LB. But I don't know who fits as the 2nd LB like Van Noy did, while keeping our best players on the field. Can Ginkel be that guy?

Just curious what your thoughts are here?

Last edited:
Good question. Besides Flores saying he wanted to give our young guys more playing time, I am not sure what we will do. I am guessing VG will be given a long look to see if he can handle it. Looking forward to reading the thoughts of others here who may have a better idea of what we might do.

Our defense is all about each player knowing their responsibility and executing it. I don’t think Flores will limit any of our players to being used in one particular way. AVG will earn his snaps if he can defend the run and drop into coverage. His size kind of limits him as a pass rusher in terms of where he will line up. If he truly steps into KVN’s role I would expect to see him doing a little bit of everything each week.

Front 6? Ogbah, Phillips, Davis, Wilkins, VG, McKinney/baker

We brought McKinney in here to be the QB of the DEF ... so, I don’t think he will come off the field a lot ...

If you look at NE and the way they use HIGHTOWER, that should go a long way in determining how often he comes off the field (like 3D and 7+) ... I think it will be fairly similar ...

AVG will get more snaps this year but keep an eye on Holland as well. also, maybe Ogbah could slide inside on passing downs?
Good thought. Ogbah moving inside..

but if not, and the line is like the OP said, I’d try Van Gink in that van Noy role before anyone else

I'm going with McKinney. He is better in the run game but has really improved since entering the NFL in the passing game. If not McKinney then I am going hybred with sliding Holland or Brandon Jones in there.
I am really interested to see how Flores uses McKinney. I am concerned with his pass coverage abilities, but maybe he ends up rushing the passer more on those obvious passing downs.

I am really interested to see how Flores uses McKinney. I am concerned with his pass coverage abilities, but maybe he ends up rushing the passer more on those obvious passing downs.
I think he's good enough to cover RB responsibility in passing situations, and likely comes off the field when we go to dime packages, which I can see a lot of going forward.

I think he's good enough to cover RB responsibility in passing situations, and likely comes off the field when we go to dime packages, which I can see a lot of going forward.
True. I can definitely see Miami playing with the lead more this year. The defense is really set up for that.

Is everyone going to be as upset when we let mckinney go next year?
Am I the only on that thinks he's only a one year stop gap? (His contract is a pretty clear indicator to me)

Is everyone going to be as upset when we let mckinney go next year?
Am I the only on that thinks he's only a one year stop gap? (His contract is a pretty clear indicator to me)
It depends how he plays/fits doesn't it?

The alternatives if we let him go are to either draft a LB, which is never a sure thing, or sign another FA at a similar cost.

Back
Top Bottom