Our Front 6 in Nickel Formations | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Front 6 in Nickel Formations

Is everyone going to be as upset when we let mckinney go next year?
Am I the only on that thinks he's only a one year stop gap? (His contract is a pretty clear indicator to me)
He arrived to us in trade on his Houston contract making $7 this year, 9 next year, and 10 in 2023.

No dead money if he's a June 1 designation after any of those seasons.

What about that contract indicates to you that he's a one year stopgap?

Mckinney is a guy they wanted for a while. He was part of what Miami asked for in the Tunsil trade. But it's all about how he plays and whomever else we have that develops. I don't believe Van Noy would have been gone if VG had not played as well as he did.

He arrived to us in trade on his Houston contract making $7 this year, 9 next year, and 10 in 2023.

No dead money if he's a June 1 designation after any of those seasons.

What about that contract indicates to you that he's a one year stopgap?
No dead money at any point. And as Mach stated. I believe LB will be priority one next draft. I don't believe Flo has his guy yet there to center the D. Mckinney in a step in the right direction but I don't think he is the answer. If he plays lights out that might make a difference. But anything short of pro bowl for our LB...we are getting one next draft.

I seem to remember, that defensive formation that basically won the game against the Rams, basically a 6-1 defense. If I remember correctly, Baker played the off-ball LB spot, and Van Ginkel, Wilkins, Davis, Sieler, Ogbah, and Van Noy were all up on the line. I’d imagine you continue to see that look often, with Phillips replacing Van Noy, and maybe Butler replacing Davis

No dead money at any point. And as Mach stated. I believe LB will be priority one next draft. I don't believe Flo has his guy yet there to center the D. Mckinney in a step in the right direction but I don't think he is the answer. If he plays lights out that might make a difference. But anything short of pro bowl for our LB...we are getting one next draft.
Makes sense.

I always feel we need new young blood at the LB position.

Hopefully McKinney lives up to the 5 year 50 million contract Houston gave him while he is starting for us.

Makes sense.

I always feel we need new young blood at the LB position.

Hopefully McKinney lives up to the 5 year 50 million contract Houston gave him while he is starting for us.
To me he's one of those guys FloCo went for early in rebuild and didn't get. He's the one that eventually landed but 2 years too late. Others were Clowney and Bell. I'm one that thinks we actually grab Bell making it two out of three. And we grab Bell with a one year prove it and let him come out with a chip on his shoulder. I think some underestimate the impact Bell would immediately bring.

To me he's one of those guys FloCo went for early in rebuild and didn't get. He's the one that eventually landed but 2 years too late. Others were Clowney and Bell. I'm one that thinks we actually grab Bell making it two out of three. And we grab Bell with a one year prove it and let him come out with a chip on his shoulder. I think some underestimate the impact Bell would immediately bring.
I'd love him here if he has anything left.

What a blunderer he is, destroying what might have been a Hall of Fame career in Pittsburgh.

People forget what an amazing back he was prior to the holdout.

People talk about the front 7, but team's only run the traditional base formation on roughly 25% of plays. Nickel is the new base.

Before drafting Phillips, it was pretty obvious that Van Ginkel and Ogbah would be the main Edge guys in situations w 4 man fronts and 2 LB's.

I know VG has been referred to as Van Noy's replacement, but VN played the same amount of snaps in coverage as he did as a pass rusher. Also played half his snaps in the box, which allowed him to be paired with Baker in these situations.

VG played a third of his pass play snaps in coverage, and only was in the box for 10 snaps. Even when Van Noy was out in week 14, he saw 1 snap in the box.

This has just kind of left me wondering how we get Phillips, Ginkel, and Ogbah all on the field in a 6 man front. All 3 should be playing as much as possible if Phillips works out.

McKinney would likely be off the field in many of these situations and I'm not sure which LBer we'd be playing next to Baker in the box.

Do you think we are going to attempt to diversify Van Ginkel's game and try to turn him into a more Van Noy style player? Or am I overthinking this bc we often run our amoeba style D.

Bc right now (if I leave out VG) I'm picturing a line of Phillips, WIlkins, Raekwon, and Ogbah with Baker at LB. But I don't know who fits as the 2nd LB, like Van Noy did, while keeping our best players on the field. Can Ginkel be that guy?

Just curious what your thoughts are here?
I think you are overthinking it a little bit.

You are 100% correct that we run a 3-3 or a 4-2 front on most plays, but the part that I think you are leaving out is that defensive front 7 type players rotate so much. Very, very few of them play on every down. Only your WSLB plays anywhere close to 100% of the downs... so Baker is the one real constant.

Wilkins and McKinney will come out most of the time when we go to pass defense, and that opens it up for the situational pass rusher guys. Early in the season, this promises to be Phillips; he'll get more snaps as the season goes on. Who he takes them from will be determined later. There could be an injury... it could be Sieler.

Davis over Sieler on obvious passing downs? i think not
Agree. But honestly that wasn't really where the focus of my question was. I just put Davis bc he's the starter. The DT's weren't my concern bc I don't see any potential issues with the rotation there. I actually was just going to list it as Phillips, Wilkins, DT, Ogbah at first.

This was really more about what we will do at LBer and Edge in 6 man fronts, and how we can get VG/Phillips/Ogbah to all see a starter level snaps since all 3 are mostly pure Edge guys (at least to this point).

Van Ginkle only became more of a full time player later in the year as Lawson's snaps began to decline. Van Noy's snaps remained consistently high bc he could shift into the box in 6 man fronts.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a 2-4-5 consisting of....

DL rotating) Wilkins, Davis, Seiler, Butler, Jenkins
LB/Edge) AVG, Phillips, Baker, McKinney, Riley, Roberts, Baker, Scarlett
DB) X, Byron J, Iggy, Brandon J, Holland, Rowe, McCourty, & Coleman

p.s. What about Strowbridge & Benito Jones?

If they go LB next draft... My preference is Mike Rose (Iowa State)

Lawrence Guy might beat both Davis and Seiler to the spot next to Wilkins. He had 4 sacks last year.

Back
Top Bottom