Our Front 6 in Nickel Formations | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Front 6 in Nickel Formations

It seems we have great talent and depth on our defense, even if we suffer a few major injuries we should have a very good defense. Our secondary is unbelievable, adding some talented pass rushing. I hate to be Zach Wilson. Pretty boy is going to look like Mike Webster after 2 games against us

I'm going with McKinney. He is better in the run game but has really improved since entering the NFL in the passing game. If not McKinney then I am going hybred with sliding Holland or Brandon Jones in there.
Isnt Holland the guy we want protecting our endzone from bombs?

I'd really like to hear @j-off-her-doll 's take on this... Very nice talking point @TheRevoltingBlob

I agree that it's a good talking point, particularly because Flores's D is so multiple. The quick caveat to everything I'm about to say: Flores wants to play different fronts, which will favor different players, depending on the matchups.

We know pretty well that Wilkins and Davis should see more snaps than the rest of the DT's and that Ogbah will see the most snaps at DE. Miami is deep at DT, so there will be a rotation.

Phillips should, like Lawson, essentially be a DE playing OLB. They'll only drop him in coverage as a change-up/as a way to fool the QB.

The roles of AVG and Baker are probably the least clear. Both saw some success rushing off the edge and as blitzers. AVG is better as an edge-setter, and Baker is better in space.

I think McKinney's role is more clear, and while he won't play 100% of the snaps, I think he'll play a lot more than most think. When people say he's a 2-down thumper, they're failing to account for what this D asks of its Mike. The Mike is almost like an extra DL, who has the versatility to play some in space. Obviously, Miami hasn't had that type of Mike, but I again encourage people to look at how NE has used Hightower. He'll drop in zone some, and his length will help with that, but he's mostly going to be busting heads at the LOS either as a blitzer or filling gaps vs the run.

So, I expect AVG and Baker to rotate and play more or less depending on what they're trying to stop.

I think you are overthinking it a little bit.

You are 100% correct that we run a 3-3 or a 4-2 front on most plays, but the part that I think you are leaving out is that defensive front 7 type players rotate so much. Very, very few of them play on every down. Only your WSLB plays anywhere close to 100% of the downs... so Baker is the one real constant.

Wilkins and McKinney will come out most of the time when we go to pass defense, and that opens it up for the situational pass rusher guys. Early in the season, this promises to be Phillips; he'll get more snaps as the season goes on. Who he takes them from will be determined later. There could be an injury... it could be Sieler.
They dont but the whole point of the scheme is to maximize pass rush while keeping players fresh and playing to their strengths. Some of our part time guys ended up racking a good amount of sacks.

I agree that it's a good talking point, particularly because Flores's D is so multiple. The quick caveat to everything I'm about to say: Flores wants to play different fronts, which will favor different players, depending on the matchups.

We know pretty well that Wilkins and Davis should see more snaps than the rest of the DT's and that Ogbah will see the most snaps at DE. Miami is deep at DT, so there will be a rotation.

Phillips should, like Lawson, essentially be a DE playing OLB. They'll only drop him in coverage as a change-up/as a way to fool the QB.

The roles of AVG and Baker are probably the least clear. Both saw some success rushing off the edge and as blitzers. AVG is better as an edge-setter, and Baker is better in space.

I think McKinney's role is more clear, and while he won't play 100% of the snaps, I think he'll play a lot more than most think. When people say he's a 2-down thumper, they're failing to account for what this D asks of its Mike. The Mike is almost like an extra DL, who has the versatility to play some in space. Obviously, Miami hasn't had that type of Mike, but I again encourage people to look at how NE has used Hightower. He'll drop in zone some, and his length will help with that, but he's mostly going to be busting heads at the LOS either as a blitzer or filling gaps vs the run.

So, I expect AVG and Baker to rotate and play more or less depending on what they're trying to stop.
Good break down. Part of it w Bernardrick is that I'm not sure what level he'll be at. He's a 28 yr old (29 in Nov) that has taken a beating over his career and has recently battled injury issues. We'll see how much he has left in the tank soon enough.

He's bad in man pass coverage. Not a secret. But he's also smart as hell. He would often read plays ahead of time and tell other players what to do. Even calling out motions before they occur. He really does QB the defense. And we're not talking Bobby McCain level. So even if personally he is a liability in pass coverage, he can help make others better.

Using him in some zone, like u said, could help mitigate this weakness too bc he's better when he can sit back and read the play.

And you're right that he's a very good blitzing LB. Houston blitzed him a lot in 2016 and 2017 and he had 8 sacks. Then his pass coverage to blitz ratio went way up ever since. Doesn't make sense to me.

Between his IQ and blitzing ability, maybe he can overcome his coverage issues and play a larger role than I'm giving him credit for. It's def not fair to be talking about him like he's Elandon Roberts.

The one thing we have is depth and good players that will rotate in and out in certain situations. A couple year ago we would have to figure this out with Godchaux, Eguavon, Avery Moss, Raekwon, Biegel, and Baker/ Wilkins. Now we have the agreed upon front 7 with Sieler, Butler and others. Well done Miami! improving every part of this team in epically fast fashion! :BC:

I would like to see AVG play between edge and ILB here and there.

Especially with our tendency to blitz, having AVG line up anywhere to pass rush could yield good results.

I would like to see AVG play between edge and ILB here and there.

Especially with our tendency to blitz, having AVG line up anywhere to pass rush could yield good results.
In our system ILB has a lot of coverage responsibility on passing downs, and usually there are only 1 or 2 LBs on the field.

Are you sure you want the Ginkster put in that situation on a regular basis?

In our system ILB has a lot of coverage responsibility on passing downs, and usually there are only 1 or 2 LBs on the field.

Are you sure you want the Ginkster put in that situation on a regular basis?

Not every snap, but see no issue rotating him in and out to get him more snaps if Phillips and Ogbah are manning the edges.

Back
Top Bottom