Our Fundamental Problem.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Fundamental Problem....

Robbchan

Rookie
Reaction score
Here's my theory anyway: The Dolphins continue to hire coaches, whether they are rookies or not, that do not put enough focus on fundamentals. These coaches do not bring in a staff that are good at teaching the fundamentals to each of the positions. This is the reason Bill Belichick can win with anyone. He simply finds good athletes who obviously know and love the game of football and plugs them in to his staff of assistants who know how to teach fundamentals.

I've been coaching soccer now for roughly ten years and I can consistently have a very good team because I'm pretty good at teaching and selling the idea of learning and perfecting fundamentals. At the higher levels many coaches think that the players know the fundamentals so they do very little with it... So we beat them!

I suspect that many NFL coaches think the same thing about NFL players, that at this level they should know the fundamentals. Clearly our team does not. It shows up on missed tackles, dropped balls and a quarterback that still has some problems feeling the pressure.

ive read a few articles about Belichick on fundamentals

:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...belichick-pete-carroll-made-me-a-better-coach

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/..._on_fundamentals_as_patriots_point_for_denver

http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/7/24...at-fundamental-teacher-of-offensive-line-play

Just my two cents after another disappointing game!

What do you guys think?

I believe that the fundamental problem that has plagued the Dolphins is not having hired head coaches with the intellectual sophistication from an X's and O's standpoint to gameplan against opponents.

I expect and even welcome a regression this year while Gase implements his system and transitions to players that fit his system. One step back, two steps forward.

We have a HC that has never played the game - at any level if I'm correct. Not even Madden. And you want him to value fundamentals? He made his bones following Peyton around. I'm sure he helped Peyton w his mechanics and brought out the best in him. This guy is not qualified. I hated the hire at the time. I hate it now. How do you not know 2nd and 1 from your 34 is better than 1st and 10 from your 30? Gase and co need to have someone teach them the fundamentals of coaching. How about we start there?

We have a HC that has never played the game - at any level if I'm correct. Not even Madden. And you want him to value fundamentals? He made his bones following Peyton around. I'm sure he helped Peyton w his mechanics and brought out the best in him. This guy is not qualified. I hated the hire at the time. I hate it now. How do you not know 2nd and 1 from your 34 is better than 1st and 10 from your 30? Gase and co need to have someone teach them the fundamentals of coaching. How about we start there?

He never played madden ? Wow , how do you get this inside information ? Impressive

I get what you're saying. However, I would say players don't necessarily make great coaches. They can be but it's certainly not the rule. Again, drawing from my own meager experience, many former college soccer players I've come across make bad coaches because they don't know how to teach the game or fundamentals of the game. I've never played soccer in my life other than a pickup game here or there and I e gotten the better of many former players. Teaching the game and playing it are two different things.

I think Gase is too green to know to focus on fundamentals but if he learns to, he could be a great coach.

I believe that the fundamental problem that has plagued the Dolphins is not having hired head coaches with the intellectual sophistication from an X's and O's standpoint to gameplan against opponents.

I expect and even welcome a regression this year while Gase implements his system and transitions to players that fit his system. One step back, two steps forward.

I certainly think there is some of that in there but a lot of football is you line up your guys against ours and let's see who can beat who... That's where fundamentals comes in. Also, without fundamentals the players won't execute the X's and O's as well, especially when the pressure is on. This is why we can't seem to finish close games.

I agree, but I also see it as a league wide problem with the best coaches as the exception (Belichick, Carroll, etc). but with the CBA limitations on practice and pad time, there has been a serious fall in the utmost important fundamentals such as blocking and tackling. Those two core principals have been greatly effected by shorter practice times. Its something the NFL needs to take a good long look at as it has lead to some very poor football overall.

I don't think your theory's wrong. I think this is one of NE's major advantages on the other 31 teams (well that and whatever way they're finding to cheat and not get caught this time).

But it is pretty simple to plug and play if you are ensuring everyone on your team is disciplined in the fundamentals you teach.

Here's my theory anyway: The Dolphins continue to hire coaches, whether they are rookies or not, that do not put enough focus on fundamentals. These coaches do not bring in a staff that are good at teaching the fundamentals to each of the positions. This is the reason Bill Belichick can win with anyone. He simply finds good athletes who obviously know and love the game of football and plugs them in to his staff of assistants who know how to teach fundamentals.

I've been coaching soccer now for roughly ten years and I can consistently have a very good team because I'm pretty good at teaching and selling the idea of learning and perfecting fundamentals. At the higher levels many coaches think that the players know the fundamentals so they do very little with it... So we beat them!

I suspect that many NFL coaches think the same thing about NFL players, that at this level they should know the fundamentals. Clearly our team does not. It shows up on missed tackles, dropped balls and a quarterback that still has some problems feeling the pressure.

ive read a few articles about Belichick on fundamentals

:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...belichick-pete-carroll-made-me-a-better-coach

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/..._on_fundamentals_as_patriots_point_for_denver

http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/7/24...at-fundamental-teacher-of-offensive-line-play

Just my two cents after another disappointing game!

What do you guys think?

I see two fundamental problems . . . 1} No run game, 2) can't stop the run (how many yds did NE get around Miami's RDE?)

What do coaches having played the game have to do with success?

no, I'm entirely convinced now that our problem is that we are not taking advantage of a gift we have. We looked great in the 2nd half on offense because we....passed more. Patriots, old Broncos and even Packers somewhat are mostly pass-heavy teams and they always win and put numbers up. Abandon the run game, maybe 1/4 of plays should be runs from the shotgun. Our OL pass blocks great, our receivers catch most so far, and Drake I think would look good running from the shotgun. We put up 24 points against the Pats defense doing just that.

no, I'm entirely convinced now that our problem is that we are not taking advantage of a gift we have. We looked great in the 2nd half on offense because we....passed more. Patriots, old Broncos and even Packers somewhat are mostly pass-heavy teams and they always win and put numbers up. Abandon the run game, maybe 1/4 of plays should be runs from the shotgun. Our OL pass blocks great, our receivers catch most so far, and Drake I think would look good running from the shotgun. We put up 24 points against the Pats defense doing just that.

Just, no.

Successful teams don't abandon the run. That **** might work in video games but it doesn't fly in the NFL.

I'll agree to a point, though I think 3/4 of plays being passes is too extreme. Yes, I think Miami should be a pass team to set up the run, and I'd like to see more passes in 1Q, but run plays are essential.

Horrible personnel evaluators is the biggest fundamental problem. Until we get a good GM, it's going to be like this. The Dolphins have bad personnel at the key positions. And it shows.

The GM is more important than the coach.

Spielman, Ireland, and Tannebaum. All awful.

We need a new coach, GM, QB, RB, DC its time to start all over again. 31-3 with third stringers tells you all you need to know. 31-3.

Back
Top Bottom