Our most over rated and under rated players | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our most over rated and under rated players

CChambers7284

The Biggest Fins Fan from CT
Reaction score
Under Rated

Zach Thomas- he is always among the league leaders in tackles and seems to be in or around every play.

Chambers- People dont real,ize that he led the AFC in TDs in 2003 despite our team throwing around 15 TDs.

Matt Turk- He was around the top of the league in Punts last year. W/o him the few games we did win might not of happened.

Wes Welker- He changed some games for us.

Over Rated

Tebucky Jones- he has always been over rated and for people to think he is an upgrade to Knight or Freeman is crazy. Both Knight and Freeman are very good players who didnt get any credit.

Sam Madison- Last year he had 0 INTs. He gets burned alot and seems to be missing on some plays.

Will Poole- everyone acts like he is so great but alst year he was our #4 corner. How could you guys act like he would have been a great CB this year when he has barely played.

CChambers7284 said:
Under Rated

Zach Thomas- he is always among the league leaders in tackles and seems to be in or around every play.

Chambers- People dont real,ize that he led the AFC in TDs in 2003 despite our team throwing around 15 TDs.

Matt Turk- He was around the top of the league in Punts last year. W/o him the few games we did win might not of happened.

Wes Welker- He changed some games for us.

Over Rated

Tebucky Jones- he has always been over rated and for people to think he is an upgrade to Knight or Freeman is crazy. Both Knight and Freeman are very good players who didnt get any credit.

Sam Madison- Last year he had 0 INTs. He gets burned alot and seems to be missing on some plays.

Will Poole- everyone acts like he is so great but alst year he was our #4 corner. How could you guys act like he would have been a great CB this year when he has barely played.

I don't think Zach is much underrateed. People know how great he is but it did take longer than it should have for him to get respect. I think last year, playing on a bad team but with the same effort, especially with the 2 big tackles out injured, really helped his reputation. The only thing I ever heard was that he relied on the system of big tackles allowing him to run free, but he was very effective without them last year.

Chambers is hugely underrated, you are right. Let's hope they can throw it to him this year 'cause the guy can catch anything anywhere on the field.

You are right about Welker too because he is s till almost completely unknown, but a good player. Loved that field goal!

CChambers7284 said:
Under Rated

Frankly I think Zach belongs on the Overrated side. He makes routine tackles and no special plays, but gets paid for special plays.

Zach is not over or underrated. He is a great player in a defensive scheme that counts on him to do everything. And he does. He is pretty special.

As far as Will Poole being overrated...we'll have to see. We've only drafted Ben Kelly, Jamar fletcher, and brought in a slew of other CB's that never got closer than #3 with Wanny at the helm (and his love for Sam and Pat.) Will Poole showed he could actually play...a 4th round steal, he is the best of our rookie corners in a long time.

Sam. he is overrated at this point. He never has been able to tackle and has lost a step in his advanced years. he is still a good starting cover corner, but he may have to tackle more in Saban's defense. We'll have to watch him in this...his last season with the Fins.

Will Poole as a rookie beat Reggie Howard for the #3 spot, that's why he started while Surtain was out. I don't think he's over or under.... he's hardly "rated".
Zack Thomas is a pro bowl player, just because he hasn't gone every single year doesn't mean people don't know he's awesome.

I've been saying for years that Madison is over rated. He might be a decent cover corner, but his tackling is laughable. I have seen him repeatedly try to tackle people by lowering his shoulder and trying to hit people hard enough to bring them down, forgetting he would need to use his arms to wrap people up. NFL players need to use their arms to tackle. Madison forgets this fundamental premise. Perhaps Saban can remind him to use them more.

Yeah, Poole was a number 4 corner in THAT defense. Plus we know Wanny doesn't play very many rookies on defense. I am betting that Poole would have been better than a #4 this year.

And yes, Jones has always been over rated, but let's see what he does in a Dolphin uniform before throwing him into the mix here..

In know ill catch some heat so what the heck.......

I think Chamber is very overrated, every year he gets mentioned with the leagues elite,(top 20) but up till now it is all just speculation cause he has yet to show he can play with the leagues elite.

For underrated Ill go with Seau

He take alot of heat but he really hasnt lst that much of a step , he just happens to be playing next to a guy named Zach Thomas who in our Vanilla D was funneled all tackles. But with a more versatile D with more blitzing and schemes we should all have alot of fun watching him create havok in teams backfields.

Overrated: Chambers- after that hit in the Denver game he hasn't been the same.

lots of zachs tackles last year where 5-6 yard deep

i disagree with tebuckey jones, i won´t judge him before the season starts, since he is now playing back at his usual position

Dphins4me said:
Frankly I think Zach belongs on the Overrated side. He makes routine tackles and no special plays, but gets paid for special plays.

Consistancy and "routine" tackles at that position are EXACTLY what every defense needs. When you have guys flying around tryin to make special plays, 75% of the time you end up with the exact opposite.

Give me a routine tackle everytime at MLB in my defense. Your not gunna wow anyone, but thats what Jason Taylor is for.

I really don't understand how you could call Zach overrated. Its like saying Pete Rose was overrated because all he did was get on base everytime he got up to bat. ROUTINE TACKLING IS HIS JOB. And he does it better than anyone I've seen in a fins uniform, and probably around the best in the league.

FinaticPatch said:
In know ill catch some heat so what the heck.......

I think Chamber is very overrated, every year he gets mentioned with the leagues elite,(top 20) but up till now it is all just speculation cause he has yet to show he can play with the leagues elite.

For underrated Ill go with Seau

He take alot of heat but he really hasnt lst that much of a step , he just happens to be playing next to a guy named Zach Thomas who in our Vanilla D was funneled all tackles. But with a more versatile D with more blitzing and schemes we should all have alot of fun watching him create havok in teams backfields.

I agree with Chambers. He has yet to put up the numbers to match the hype.

Underrated? This is really difficult to choose. Maybe Wes Welker because of all the additional yards he gets on ST. Without his solid returns last year, things may have been even worse.

popularwar said:
Will Poole as a rookie beat Reggie Howard for the #3 spot, that's why he started while Surtain was out. I don't think he's over or under.... he's hardly "rated".
Zack Thomas is a pro bowl player, just because he hasn't gone every single year doesn't mean people don't know he's awesome.
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. Will Poole was our dime back, 4th cornerback, last year. He was behind Surtain, Madison, and Howard. He did start against the Bengals because Surtain and Howard were both out and he did a good job. Jimmy Wyrick was our nickel back in that game. Will Poole never beat out Howard. I think Poole is overrated by fin fans because everybody was assuming that he would be a starter when he still had to beat out Howard, Edwards, and Daniels.

It would be hard to call any of our players over-rated, given our most recent win-loss record. I don't think anybody took the time to "rate" any of our guys. At this point of his career though, Zach might be a little bit over-rated. Living off a bit of his reputation (ala offerdahl several years ago), he certainly isn't the force he once was Still has a huge heart for the game though.

Anthony3454 said:
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. Will Poole was our dime back, 4th cornerback, last year. He was behind Surtain, Madison, and Howard. He did start against the Bengals because Surtain and Howard were both out and he did a good job. Jimmy Wyrick was our nickel back in that game. Will Poole never beat out Howard. I think Poole is overrated by fin fans because everybody was assuming that he would be a starter when he still had to beat out Howard, Edwards, and Daniels.

Well i think the whole thing about Will Poole being a potential 1st rounder and being drafted in the 4th automatically gave him the title STARTER sometime in the future. Honestly I like what I have seen from him, and IMO i would like to see Poole and Daniels be our next CB combo for another decade.:evil:

Back
Top Bottom