Our Offensive Tackle Situation | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Offensive Tackle Situation

Did a quick 4 round mock draft using one of those simulators (only basic version so no trades)

5 Tua QB
18 Andrew Thomas OT
26 Josh Jones OT
39 Cesar Ruiz IOL
56 Raekwon Davis IDL
70 Zack Moss RB
141 Anfernee Jennings EDGE

Obviously this would also involve not having to trade up for Tua but if this was possible, I'd be delighted.

I still say don't get caught up in trying to fix everything in 2020. Draft a tackle this year and then draft either Leatherwood, Walker or Mumford in 2021. For this year I would go with A rookie, a cheap a vet with starting experience and Davenport at tackle... Flowers, Davis and Dieter at guard... Karras and a rookie at center. I might also draft a mid round guard to compete with Boehm, Calhoun and Isiadora for the final 2020 roster spot.

Jason Peters is still playing at a high level. Cordy Glenn is an older Mekhi Becton. The other guys i dont know. Ifedi is 25, is he any good?

I agree with that strategy. Draft two of the top tackles and, hopefully, Cushenberry.

I do like Austin Jackson potentially with that #18 pick, but trading up could be a possibility. Those top four tackles will fly off the board. Might have to move close to top 10.
I doubt that.

Three QBs. Two DBs. A pass rusher. A D-lineman, a LBer will all likely go top ten.

Thats not even considering the strength of the WR position, or the possibility of a guy like Love being overdrafted.

Where are all these tackles going?

Jason Peters is still playing at a high level. Cordy Glenn is an older Mekhi Becton. The other guys i dont know. Ifedi is 25, is he any good?
A friend who is a Seahawk fan was happy they picked up the Jets right tackle in free agency over Ifedi. He said that Ifedi made too many dumb penalties last year. But he is 25, and i wonder if we should bring him in as an insurance in case our future rook isn't ready to start.

Unfortunately the team roster is lacking once again at the OT position. Miami looks to have several options, in order to try and secure, a talented OT/OC beyond pick #5. Unless they pull the trigger at #5 to get one. Miami can try and trade up from #18. To get in the 12-14 range, trade down from #18 to secure additional picks in the 2nd and 3rd round in an attempt to have more options on day two. Or Miami can select one at pick #26, most probably a player with some holes in his game, but potentially talented enough to start or, they can once again trade down in an attempt to acquire more draft capital to give themselves more option on day two?

Last edited:
If we are really serious about building the OL and aren't in love with Tua or Herbert we should do what someone else on this site suggested- trade back a few from 5 and use the extra pick(s) to trade down from 18. Then we get two of the top OT's. We pick up an OC later. Actually Ruiz would be good because he can play OG if we decide to keep our OC in 2021. We could also use 1C for Eason, if he gets by N.E. The other point is that we don't know where the Dolphins want to play Davis- RT or RG. I was also thinking they might try Deiter at OC since he played there in college.

We shouldn’t F around. After picking QB at 5, next 3 picks on OL. after the “top 4”
OTs are off the board, theres gonna be a run on OL starting late first round. We may have to “overdraft” a bit, but think any/all of the guys listed below will be starting by end of the year.

1b OT Thomas or Cleveland or Jones
1c OG/C Cushenberry or Ruiz or Hennessy
2a OT Wilson or Niang

2b RB or S
3 S or Rb

4-6: 2wr, another rb, CB, OL, DE/LB

Ifedi is below average. Is not an upgrade over what we already have on the roster.

We shouldn’t F around. After picking QB at 5, next 3 picks on OL. after the “top 4”
OTs are off the board, theres gonna be a run on OL starting late first round. We may have to “overdraft” a bit, but think any/all of the guys listed below will be starting by end of the year.

1b OT Thomas or Cleveland or Jones
1c OG/C Cushenberry or Ruiz or Hennessy
2a OT Wilson or Niang

2b RB or S
3 S or Rb

4-6: 2wr, another rb, CB, OL, DE/LB

I doubt Miami picks 3 OLmen in 1st 4 picks

Back
Top Bottom