Our Offensive Tackle Situation | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Offensive Tackle Situation

The only one of those that I would even consider would be Ifedi, and I wouldn't even do that unless 1) he came cheap and 2) we'd already missed our targets on draft weekend.

We WILL be drafting at least two Tackles in this draft, and a third Tackle late on the third day might be brought in to compete for the swing Tackle/developmental role.

Add Isaiah Wilson to your draft list. He's a higher rated prospect than many on your list. A couple of your guys won't play Tackle in the NFL. Poor feet will send them inside.

Can't believe I forgot Wilson, added sorry

I doubt that.

Three QBs. Two DBs. A pass rusher. A D-lineman, a LBer will all likely go top ten.

Thats not even considering the strength of the WR position, or the possibility of a guy like Love being overdrafted.

Where are all these tackles going?
Good question. I think the Giants, Browns, Jets and 49ers are obvious spots. There could be others that I'm forgetting, or teams that could move up.

SF could go a number of ways at #13. Jeudy or Lamb could definitely be targets. Also, they now have a huge hole at defensive tackle.

It's hard to see one of those top four making it to 18 no?

It's not very good. Let's put a guy who a chronically bad hip and glass ankles who doesn't know how to evade real pass rush behind those guys.

It's not very good. Let's put a guy who a chronically bad hip and glass ankles who doesn't know how to evade real pass rush behind those guys.

Agreed.

They better draft another 6’4” tackling dummy that can keep peeling himself up off the turf playing behind the offensive lines Miami’s brass assembles.

Right now on MiamiDolphins.com we have the following players listed at the tackle position:

Julién Davenport
Jesse Davis (listed as G/T)
Adam Pankey

That's it...

There's no way that this is what we roll with.

Here seem to be the options:

FA:

Jason Peters (37)
Demar Dotson (34)
Cordy Glenn (30)
Darryl Williams (27)
Germain Ifedi (25)

Draft:

If we are going to draft a tackle to start year 1, we need to move up and secure one of the top 4

Jedrick Wills, Alabama
Tristan Wirfs, Iowa
Mekhi Becton, Louisville
Andrew Thomas, Georgia
Josh Jones, Houston
Austin Jackson, USC
Isaiah Wilson, Georgia
Ezra Cleveland, Boise State
Lucas Niang, TCU
Prince Tega Wonogho, Auburn
Alex Taylor, SC State
Matt Peart, UConn
Jack Driscoll, Auburn
Trey Adams, Washington
Calvin Throckmorton, Oregon

IMO, no matter what we need to add at least 2 guys from this list in addition to one of the top 4 centers (Ruiz, Cushenberry, Biadasz, Hennessey)
There's a lot more than that, but the top eschelon is pretty deep this year ... not truly elite any of them, but deep nonetheless.

Of those, I like Andrew Thomas and Mekhai Becton from the top group. Thomas is developed and productive, with the least bust potential. Becton, like Wirfs, Wills, Jones and Jackson, has a sizable bust potential, but his run blocking skills are unmistakable. If I were taking a chance on an athletic freak, Becton would be the one. I really like Ezra Cleveland in the 2nd round or even 26th overall in the first, as I see him as the last of the top eschelon of actual starting productive OT's. His ceiling isn't as high as those boom or bust guys, but he could be the next Andrew Wentworth. In the later rounds I like Calvin Throckmorton, but those Pac-12 guys are hard to rate. There's a few others who might be OT/OG guys like Ben Bartch who just might surprise people as well.

All in all, I'm expecting 1 legitimate LT (or RT if we draft a lefty like Tua), and probably 2-3 guys who can play both OT and OG like Jesse Davis. We have a lot of draft picks, so I expect one early, 1 in the middle rounds, and 1 late. I also fully expect a starting OC like Biadiasz, who sits behinds Karras for a year, then takes over at center and Karras becomes cover for all interior positions.

We brought in young veterans, and we're going to draft more. Surely they can't all be misses?

I am not confident that one of the Top 4 OT's will make it to 18.

But I think Jones/Jackson/Cleveland might all be there.

It all depends on how the Fins rank that OT's in this Draft.

I would be fine with QB and then two OL out of Round 1. Depending on who is on the board when they pick of course.IF Miami uses all 3 1st rounders I would be thrilled with Tua/OT/Shenault or Reagor myself. A QB, a guy to protect him and a weapon for him to throw to would suit me fine and the value looks like it would line up with where they are picking.

I would not be surprised if Miami took 2 OT's and eventually bumped Jessie Davis inside.

I'm pretty confident none of them will, but we may get lucky.

We got more than enough ammo to be lucky and the position is worth moving up for if needed. Really don't see a problem if the FO desire is there.

(just noticed a fellow SC'r. 20 yrs. LSB & Aptos....)

I think the plan was always to get one of the ots in round 1. The OT class is pretty deep... or at least much better than last year

It will be important for Miami not to reach in this draft.
For example, if the top 4 OTs are gone at #18, look for an elite Delpit, Ruiz, Lamb, Chaisson. Don’t reach for OT here.

At #26, if missed on #18 OT, look for Josh Jones or Niang at this point. If not take the elite FS

At 39, if there are still 4-5 quality RBs on the board, hold at RB until #56 and possibly move from 57 to mid 40s if needed.

Good question. I think the Giants, Browns, Jets and 49ers are obvious spots. There could be others that I'm forgetting, or teams that could move up.

SF could go a number of ways at #13. Jeudy or Lamb could definitely be targets. Also, they now have a huge hole at defensive tackle.

It's hard to see one of those top four making it to 18 no?

I really don't think so. Here are some things that you can almost certainly count on in the top half of the first round every draft:

1) Someone's going to reach for a player that they fell in love with that they probably could have had later in the round, but they either didn't trust that they could trade back and still get him, or didn't have a trade partner. Last year this was the Raiders.

2) Someone's going to reach for a player that they fell in love with that they probably could have had a full round or so later, but they either didn't trust that they could trade back and still get him, or didn't have a trade partner. Last year this was the Giants.

3) Someone's going to reach for a position of need rather than take the BPA. Last year this was the Lions.

So. There are 4 of those top OT (Wirfs, Wills, Becton, Thomas). Let's assume THREE of those four go before pick 18. Fine.

The other top 14 players this year other than Tackles are probably going to be:

3-4 QB (Definitely Burrow, Tua, Herbert, maybe Love)
1-2 Edge rushers (Definitely Chase Young, maybe Chaisson)
1-3 WR (I feel pretty confident that Jeudy goes before 18. Maybe Ruggs? CeeDee Lamb?)
1-2 LB (Definitely Simmons, maybe Kenneth Murray)
1-2 DT (Derrick Brown**, maybe Javon Kinlaw)
1-3 CB (Definitely Okudah, maybe CJ Henderson, Jeff Gladney?)

Are all of these "maybes" going to be taken before pick 18? Of course not. Say (and I think this is low) slightly fewer than half of them are. I put eight "maybes" up there. Say three of them get picked. You're already up to 11 players taken. You only need 3 more non-Tackle players to go before pick 18.

Then you've got the other "maybes" like Xavier McKinney or Grant Delpit who could be a good fit for a team that needs a safety, and not that much of a reach.

Then you've got a team that really, really needs a center in the mid-teens and takes Cesar Ruiz, who's a borderline late first rounder/2nd rounder. A reach? Yep. Possible? Sure.

Then you've got a team like the Raiders that falls in love with AJ Epensa and absolutely HAS to have him at 12. A bit of a reach? Sure. Could they have traded down to the mid 20s and nabbed him there? Probably, but they didn't want to chance it, or nobody wanted to trade up. That's certainly possible.

Then you've got a team that absolutely, positively falls in love with one of the RBs. JK Dobbins, or DeAndre Swift, for example. And they do something bat-**** crazy and draft him in the teens.

And then there's something completely out of left field that I haven't even thought of.

Are ALL of these things going to happen? Of course not. Some of those things are absolutely crazy. But you only need a few of them to happen. Bat-**** crazy stuff always, always happens at the NFL draft. Daniel Jones goes #6 in 2019. Kolton Miller goes #15 in 2018. The Bears give up multiple draft picks to move from #3 to #2 and select...Mitch Trubisky. And again, you only need a few *slightly* unusual things to happen, and the Fins have one of those top 4 offensive tackles fall in their lap at #18.

**So, Derrick Brown. I have seen more than one mock where he falls PAST the #18 pick. If this happens, the Dolphins should absolutely, positively take him at 18. I don't care if they have the Easter Bunny at Left Tackle next year. Brown is one of the most destructive D-Line players I've ever seen, and I believe that aside from a QB, he's going to be one of the two most impactful players in the entire draft.

Last edited:
I really don't think so. Here are some things that you can almost certainly count on in the top half of the first round every draft:

1) Someone's going to reach for a player that they fell in love with that they probably could have had later in the round, but they either didn't trust that they could trade back and still get him, or didn't have a trade partner. Last year this was the Raiders.

2) Someone's going to reach for a player that they fell in love with that they probably could have had a full round or so later, but they either didn't trust that they could trade back and still get him, or didn't have a trade partner. Last year this was the Giants.

3) Someone's going to reach for a position of need rather than take the BPA. Last year this was the Lions.

So. There are 4 of those top OT (Wirfs, Wills, Becton, Thomas). Let's assume THREE of those four go before pick 18. Fine.

The other top 14 players this year other than Tackles are probably going to be:

3-4 QB (Definitely Burrow, Tua, Herbert, maybe Love)
1-2 Edge rushers (Definitely Chase Young, maybe Chaisson)
1-3 WR (I feel pretty confident that Jeudy goes before 18. Maybe Ruggs? CeeDee Lamb?)
1-2 LB (Definitely Simmons, maybe Kenneth Murray)
1-2 DT (Derrick Brown**, maybe Javon Kinlaw)
1-3 CB (Definitely Okudah, maybe CJ Henderson, Jeff Gladney?)

Are all of these "maybes" going to be taken before pick 18? Of course not. Say (and I think this is low) slightly fewer than half of them are. I put eight "maybes" up there. Say three of them get picked. You're already up to 11 players taken. You only need 3 more non-Tackle players to go before pick 18.

Then you've got the other "maybes" like Xavier McKinney or Grant Delpit who could be a good fit for a team that needs a safety, and not that much of a reach.

Then you've got a team that really, really needs a center in the mid-teens and takes Cesar Ruiz, who's a borderline late first rounder/2nd rounder. A reach? Yep. Possible? Sure.

Then you've got a team like the Raiders that falls in love with AJ Epensa and absolutely HAS to have him at 12. A bit of a reach? Sure. Could they have traded down to the mid 20s and nabbed him there? Probably, but they didn't want to chance it, or nobody wanted to trade up. That's certainly possible.

Then you've got a team that absolutely, positively falls in love with one of the RBs. JK Dobbins, or DeAndre Swift, for example. And they do something bat-**** crazy and draft him in the teens.

And then there's something completely out of left field that I haven't even thought of.

Are ALL of these things going to happen? Of course not. Some of those things are absolutely crazy. But you only need a few of them to happen. Bat-**** crazy stuff always, always happens at the NFL draft. Daniel Jones goes #6 in 2019. Kolton Miller goes #15 in 2018. The Bears give up multiple draft picks to move from #3 to #2 and select...Mitch Trubisky. And again, you only need a few *slightly* unusual things to happen, and the Fins have one of those top 4 offensive tackles fall in their lap at #18.

**So, Derrick Brown. I have seen more than one mock where he falls PAST the #18 pick. If this happens, the Dolphins should absolutely, positively take him at 18. I don't care if they have the Easter Bunny at Left Tackle next year. Brown is one of the most destructive D-Line players I've ever seen, and I believe that aside from a QB, he's going to be one of the two most impactful players in the entire draft.
I have seen a lot of mocks lately with Brown sneaking out of the top 10. That is hard to imagine, but the fact that he's not an elite pass rusher maybe that's possible. He's one of those players that I'd trade up for if he gets out of the top 10. With the additions Miami has made on defense, adding Brown could make the unit a top 10 one.

You're right that anything is possible. There are always surprises.

Back
Top Bottom