Our Offensive Tackle Situation | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Offensive Tackle Situation

I have seen a lot of mocks lately with Brown sneaking out of the top 10. That is hard to imagine, but the fact that he's not an elite pass rusher maybe that's possible. He's one of those players that I'd trade up for if he gets out of the top 10. With the additions Miami has made on defense, adding Brown could make the unit a top 10 one.

You're right that anything is possible. There are always surprises.

I don't buy this much, really. I believe much of it is just where he was lined up on the inside. He does **** that I haven't seen since Reggie White.

I don't buy this much, really. I believe much of it is just where he was lined up on the inside. He does **** that I haven't seen since Reggie White.
That's a comparison I've heard as well. Brown doesn't necessarily get a lot of sacks, but he's very disruptive in the passing game.

He throws people around like very few I have seen.

Reggie White might be a little excessive but he is an animal.

Brown, Simmons, Kinlaw, Okudah and Young all have All Pro potential. This is a very strong defensive draft at the top.

I really don't think so. Here are some things that you can almost certainly count on in the top half of the first round every draft:

1) Someone's going to reach for a player that they fell in love with that they probably could have had later in the round, but they either didn't trust that they could trade back and still get him, or didn't have a trade partner. Last year this was the Raiders.

2) Someone's going to reach for a player that they fell in love with that they probably could have had a full round or so later, but they either didn't trust that they could trade back and still get him, or didn't have a trade partner. Last year this was the Giants.

3) Someone's going to reach for a position of need rather than take the BPA. Last year this was the Lions.

So. There are 4 of those top OT (Wirfs, Wills, Becton, Thomas). Let's assume THREE of those four go before pick 18. Fine.

The other top 14 players this year other than Tackles are probably going to be:

3-4 QB (Definitely Burrow, Tua, Herbert, maybe Love)
1-2 Edge rushers (Definitely Chase Young, maybe Chaisson)
1-3 WR (I feel pretty confident that Jeudy goes before 18. Maybe Ruggs? CeeDee Lamb?)
1-2 LB (Definitely Simmons, maybe Kenneth Murray)
1-2 DT (Derrick Brown**, maybe Javon Kinlaw)
1-3 CB (Definitely Okudah, maybe CJ Henderson, Jeff Gladney?)

Are all of these "maybes" going to be taken before pick 18? Of course not. Say (and I think this is low) slightly fewer than half of them are. I put eight "maybes" up there. Say three of them get picked. You're already up to 11 players taken. You only need 3 more non-Tackle players to go before pick 18.

Then you've got the other "maybes" like Xavier McKinney or Grant Delpit who could be a good fit for a team that needs a safety, and not that much of a reach.

Then you've got a team that really, really needs a center in the mid-teens and takes Cesar Ruiz, who's a borderline late first rounder/2nd rounder. A reach? Yep. Possible? Sure.

Then you've got a team like the Raiders that falls in love with AJ Epensa and absolutely HAS to have him at 12. A bit of a reach? Sure. Could they have traded down to the mid 20s and nabbed him there? Probably, but they didn't want to chance it, or nobody wanted to trade up. That's certainly possible.

Then you've got a team that absolutely, positively falls in love with one of the RBs. JK Dobbins, or DeAndre Swift, for example. And they do something bat-**** crazy and draft him in the teens.

And then there's something completely out of left field that I haven't even thought of.

Are ALL of these things going to happen? Of course not. Some of those things are absolutely crazy. But you only need a few of them to happen. Bat-**** crazy stuff always, always happens at the NFL draft. Daniel Jones goes #6 in 2019. Kolton Miller goes #15 in 2018. The Bears give up multiple draft picks to move from #3 to #2 and select...Mitch Trubisky. And again, you only need a few *slightly* unusual things to happen, and the Fins have one of those top 4 offensive tackles fall in their lap at #18.

**So, Derrick Brown. I have seen more than one mock where he falls PAST the #18 pick. If this happens, the Dolphins should absolutely, positively take him at 18. I don't care if they have the Easter Bunny at Left Tackle next year. Brown is one of the most destructive D-Line players I've ever seen, and I believe that aside from a QB, he's going to be one of the two most impactful players in the entire draft.
This was really thorough analysis.
I take 2 equally important points:
A. Top 4 OT May drop to Miami.
B. If not, we should have a choice of a borderline elite talent. Don’t reach for OT5,6. They may be there at. 26

I really don't think so. Here are some things that you can almost certainly count on in the top half of the first round every draft:

1) Someone's going to reach for a player that they fell in love with that they probably could have had later in the round, but they either didn't trust that they could trade back and still get him, or didn't have a trade partner. Last year this was the Raiders.

2) Someone's going to reach for a player that they fell in love with that they probably could have had a full round or so later, but they either didn't trust that they could trade back and still get him, or didn't have a trade partner. Last year this was the Giants.

3) Someone's going to reach for a position of need rather than take the BPA. Last year this was the Lions.

So. There are 4 of those top OT (Wirfs, Wills, Becton, Thomas). Let's assume THREE of those four go before pick 18. Fine.

The other top 14 players this year other than Tackles are probably going to be:

3-4 QB (Definitely Burrow, Tua, Herbert, maybe Love)
1-2 Edge rushers (Definitely Chase Young, maybe Chaisson)
1-3 WR (I feel pretty confident that Jeudy goes before 18. Maybe Ruggs? CeeDee Lamb?)
1-2 LB (Definitely Simmons, maybe Kenneth Murray)
1-2 DT (Derrick Brown**, maybe Javon Kinlaw)
1-3 CB (Definitely Okudah, maybe CJ Henderson, Jeff Gladney?)

Are all of these "maybes" going to be taken before pick 18? Of course not. Say (and I think this is low) slightly fewer than half of them are. I put eight "maybes" up there. Say three of them get picked. You're already up to 11 players taken. You only need 3 more non-Tackle players to go before pick 18.

Then you've got the other "maybes" like Xavier McKinney or Grant Delpit who could be a good fit for a team that needs a safety, and not that much of a reach.

Then you've got a team that really, really needs a center in the mid-teens and takes Cesar Ruiz, who's a borderline late first rounder/2nd rounder. A reach? Yep. Possible? Sure.

Then you've got a team like the Raiders that falls in love with AJ Epensa and absolutely HAS to have him at 12. A bit of a reach? Sure. Could they have traded down to the mid 20s and nabbed him there? Probably, but they didn't want to chance it, or nobody wanted to trade up. That's certainly possible.

Then you've got a team that absolutely, positively falls in love with one of the RBs. JK Dobbins, or DeAndre Swift, for example. And they do something bat-**** crazy and draft him in the teens.

And then there's something completely out of left field that I haven't even thought of.

Are ALL of these things going to happen? Of course not. Some of those things are absolutely crazy. But you only need a few of them to happen. Bat-**** crazy stuff always, always happens at the NFL draft. Daniel Jones goes #6 in 2019. Kolton Miller goes #15 in 2018. The Bears give up multiple draft picks to move from #3 to #2 and select...Mitch Trubisky. And again, you only need a few *slightly* unusual things to happen, and the Fins have one of those top 4 offensive tackles fall in their lap at #18.

**So, Derrick Brown. I have seen more than one mock where he falls PAST the #18 pick. If this happens, the Dolphins should absolutely, positively take him at 18. I don't care if they have the Easter Bunny at Left Tackle next year. Brown is one of the most destructive D-Line players I've ever seen, and I believe that aside from a QB, he's going to be one of the two most impactful players in the entire draft.

I'll agree, with a few tweaks.
1) No one knows any team's board so it's difficult to say what was a "reach."
2) If a team can't trade down and "love" a player, they'll likely take that player rather than lose out entirely as long as the reach isn't obscene.
3) Reality is desperate teams convince themselves a player should be ranked higher than justified. Usually QB and it seems it happens every year.

Every draft fascinates me. There is always a pick that stuns the experts when an obvious target is by-passed and I always love the fans reactions. But, that just underscores no one knows a team's board. Factor in evaluations are by humans about humans and the draft can become shocking. One of the things I like about Grier is he brought in better evaluators.

Right now on MiamiDolphins.com we have the following players listed at the tackle position:

Julién Davenport
Jesse Davis (listed as G/T)
Adam Pankey

That's it...

There's no way that this is what we roll with.

Here seem to be the options:

FA:

Jason Peters (37)
Demar Dotson (34)
Cordy Glenn (30)
Darryl Williams (27)
Germain Ifedi (25)

Draft:

If we are going to draft a tackle to start year 1, we need to move up and secure one of the top 4

Jedrick Wills, Alabama
Tristan Wirfs, Iowa
Mekhi Becton, Louisville
Andrew Thomas, Georgia
Josh Jones, Houston
Austin Jackson, USC
Isaiah Wilson, Georgia
Ezra Cleveland, Boise State
Lucas Niang, TCU
Prince Tega Wonogho, Auburn
Alex Taylor, SC State
Matt Peart, UConn
Jack Driscoll, Auburn
Trey Adams, Washington
Calvin Throckmorton, Oregon

IMO, no matter what we need to add at least 2 guys from this list in addition to one of the top 4 centers (Ruiz, Cushenberry, Biadasz, Hennessey)

My dream scenario would be us drafting Tristan Wirfs to play RT and Mekhi Becton at LT, but since both of them will very likely be gone by the time we're on the clock for our second 1st round pick, I'd be happy with drafting either Josh Jones or Austin Jackson to play LT and either Lucas Niang or Isaiah Wilson to play RT.

Wishlist in terms of realistic options (Aka no whirfs, no Beckton, etc

1. Andrew Thomas
2. Josh Jones
3. Niang
4. Austin Jackson
5. Cushenberry

My biggest concern is that we need two tackles and Chris Grier has *proven* he is very weak at identifying OL talent outside of 1st round (aka the most likely to succeed).

Hopefully with the new management team and McKenzie helping things will change, but we haven't drafted a single person outside of the 1st round that was able to stick on our team which is ALARMING (except Satele, I guess).

We simply can't afford to keep missing at a 100% rate on OL after the 1st round... like, just land *one* 3rd or 4th round OL player every 3-4 years - we haven't even been able to land *one* in the last decade in any round outside of the 1st - that is an insane statistic!

Redskins re-signed RG Brandon Scherff to a one-year, $15.03 million contract.

I have seen a lot of mocks lately with Brown sneaking out of the top 10. That is hard to imagine, but the fact that he's not an elite pass rusher maybe that's possible. He's one of those players that I'd trade up for if he gets out of the top 10. With the additions Miami has made on defense, adding Brown could make the unit a top 10 one.

You're right that anything is possible. There are always surprises.
Thought about this, would trade up for Okudah Simmons or Brown at 10.
Becton, Thomas at 15.
Wouldn’t give up any consideration this year. Rd 2 next year.

One thing I can say that has delighted me on FH, is the need for oline.

Those years of mocking using draft assets and the 80s thoughts of controlling the LOS, are past us.

Corn fed was a mocking term here for years.

Give me a plenty of phat uglies.

Trade 18, 173, and a 2nd next year to move up for Wirfs. Then grab Jackson or Jones at 26

Back
Top Bottom