Our Stadium Turf? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Stadium Turf?

They don't need it to take root. They just need it to hold up for that game. Lay sod, play game, pull sod, lay new sod, play game, etc.
Sure. Not attacking you but...

If you lay down sod and run on it/tackle on it/dig in for traction, it lifts up, flies and flops around. The roots are what keeps it from doing these things as it's attached.

My point to the thread is that other teams including open air stadiums in cold weather don't seem to have the consistent challenges we have with our field.

If so curious what they did differently. We've always struggled with not only our home field but home and away our equipment managers getting us in the right shoes/cleats.

A couple years ago it was a mess after every game but not now

I don't have a clue what they did but it seems to be working

As far as I know they have always dug up JRS field 2-4 times a year. That includes the turf and the drainage system. I've seen it myself a few times back in the 90's. No idea what they do now, but I doubt they dig it up less times now than they did then. The field back then was just used by the Dolphins and the Marlins. Our season ticket sales person told us all they needed was 17 days to totally replace the entire field, at that time.

Aren't the "drive-in movies" shown on the outside of the stadium, not inside with cars on the field? They couldn't get that many cars on a 100 yard football field, plus it would take so long to get cars on the field with 2 basic entryways into the stadium for cars.

I remember on MNF broadcasts years ago (1990's), they would talk about how good the turf was in Miami. I believe the Hurricanes were playing in the Orange Bowl still. I know the field was an absolute disaster for Super Bowl 23 (they left the drainage system over night by accident and it made the field like sand). The stadium used to have one of the best surfaces in the NFL. In more recent years, it seems to be troublesome.

I recall that they discovered they were using the wrong kind of turf and this issue has been resolved. Were there any problems last season?

I never liked the idea of the Canes playing Saturday (sometimes at night) and then the Dolphins on Sunday. The novice in me would think that giving the field a week to rest and repair between games would hold up better instead of assuming that the field is going to get torn up on its first weekend, dug up on Monday, and then repeat the process two weeks later.

Back
Top Bottom