Our team was in a downward spiral. Until the announcement of Philbin: Looking Up | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our team was in a downward spiral. Until the announcement of Philbin: Looking Up

catch22

New Mexico Fin Fan
Reaction score
I have noticed one trend from the local and national media coverage as a whole for the last few months: It was peppered with bits of hope then followed by tons of negativity, ... Until the day Joe Philbin was hired.

The low point for me as a fan was the day Mike Nolan left. Fast forward a few days to the hire and you could see the change in the news and people’s attitudes. NFL.com's news stories all of the sudden were more optimistic. Nearly everything out of Green Bay including most of the fans were positive yet not excited to get rid of Philbin (guarantee that would be different if we would have hired Mike Mccoy from Denver, the fans wanted him to leave). The local media I have read and listened to all seems to be surprisingly optimistic and the posts on this board went from nasty and pessimistic to generally excited and optimistic/IMHO.

I just wanted to say that I think this move is looking good so far for the Dolphins. We have a smart, well spoken, offensive minded and hungry coach who comes from a background of multiple winning programs. I know it stung many of us that we lost out on Fisher but I think we might have just got the better end of the deal in the long run.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 101443_Dolphins_Philbin_Football.jpg
    101443_Dolphins_Philbin_Football.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 37
I agree. Even though it's really early in the Joe Philbin era, he has brought new life and hope to our beloved Dolphins.

So glad Miami didn't get Fisher. Just like Harbaugh he's scared of playing the Jets and Pats twice of year wants easy success in the NFC West. Fisher will be lucky to get 4 wins next year and Harbaugh will be exposed as overrated when the 49ers fail on their 1st place schedule next year.

So glad Miami didn't get Fisher. Just like Harbaugh he's scared of playing the Jets and Pats twice of year wants easy success in the NFC West. Fisher will be lucky to get 4 wins next year and Harbaugh will be exposed as overrated when the 49ers fail on their 1st place schedule next year.
Doubt Harbaugh is scared of playing the Jets or Patriots, he's always been a competitor, he's a 49ers fan and his family lives at the Bay area, that's why he accepted less money to be there.

absolutely agree with this.

and i am one of those bitter [41 years loyal years] dolphin fans who were tired of seeing the team continuously make the wrong moves. it was all becoming a broken record, an nfl groundhog day we couldnt wake up from.

and i am sure i speak for many of us bitter, long timers who were looking for and waiting on the move that would show things have changed. the biggest grudge i have, and again, i am sure i speak for others, that we were tired of seeing the team play, draft and do business in general SCARED, doing things not to lose instead of to win.

its hard to see your team lose, have picks or f/a's not work out or games lost over stupidity, things that didnt have to be that way. most of us i am sure agree, i would rather [and would respect] an organization that constantly swings from the fence instead of rolling over and showing there bellies year after year.

THIS YEAR: what have we all wanted. we wanted the team to make the RIGHT , logical coaching choice. simple formula, find someone who has been succesful in his career, no matter what position he coached. came from a winning program and someone who came from a solid football philosophy like the wco or air coryell, someone who understands and is able to teach his philosophy and can get us into the new age of mass points football. thats HOPE! thats EXCITEMENT!!

and when the media has us looking like it was all over before it got started [we have seen that, the media played on it] we pulled the guy who fit that bill out of the hat. it appeared the team played there search masterfully, even to the point it appeared he was out of it. and i DO believe some of it was market research, leak a "clear" choice and then see how it plays with the fans. ross knows he has to fill the stadium, the team and its fans need new hope and direction. and in the end, with what we had available to us, most fans wanted philbin. he fit the bill of hungry, inventive, succesful coach. and then they did it!!

so its a new day for me, a clean slate. lets see how the draft goes and f/a and if ireland can stay out of his own way. but so far, the brass have come through big time and they deserve our support and optimism in their first year without parcells at the helm.

HAPPY CAMPER!!! :brewskis:

Good thing some of you guys will never be tasked with managing something
during the bad times. The team was in no downward spiral. Only fans that
don't know how to handle adversity thought we were...Oh, them and the media
pundits that have always hated and will always hate the Dolphins for whatever reason.

The real fact of the matter is we have no idea if Philbin was a good hire or not. We'll
know in about three years

pundits that have always hated and will always hate the Dolphins for whatever reason.

The real fact of the matter is we have no idea if Philbin was a good hire or not. We'll

I agree that it could take years before we know the true extent of the decision but let me as you a few questions.

1) Do you think the sentiment of the team, fans and media is significantly better than it was a few weeks ago? (say on the day we lost mike nolan to ATL for same job he was doing here)

2) Do you think quality coaches and players that the dolphins might lure to Miami care about the the current team, fan and media sentiment. (would say a peyton manning or Matt Flynn or Kevin Coyle consider the envoirnment in miami better now than a week ago)

I think If you answer these questions you will see the point of my post.. It was not to say things are all rosy. but instead to say that things are looking up and we have a reason to be at least a bit more optimistic than we were a few weeks ago. and I am comparing this to if we had went with some of the other coaches that were available. I think that Philbin was actually probably one of the best available. Will he be the one that brings the glory days back to Miami? who knows? But I get the feeling that we are loosing the image of being a laughing stock.

I'm still not overly excited to be honest, lets face it everyone knows our first choice was Jeff Fisher (who was a pretty average choice in the first place). So this guy already must know and the player know he wasn't the top pick for the job, that'll make managing them much more difficult. Philbin was an OC that didn't call plays ??? He's not obviously a young man, has no HC qualifications, lost a great DC, needs to practically rebuild the whole of his staff and his eyes are way too close together :p They are almost touching one another :)

I'm sceptical right now, willing to guve the guy a chance of course, but I'm hardly in the positivity camp just yet. Prove something then I'll be all on board

I have come to the conclusion that they hate use because of the Perfect Season™

I agree that it could take years before we know the true extent of the decision but let me as you a few questions.

1) Do you think the sentiment of the team, fans and media is significantly better than it was a few weeks ago? (say on the day we lost mike nolan to ATL for same job he was doing here)
Yes. I do think so. But pretty much it would be better regardless of who we chose, as the team was simply static at that point, which was necessary.

2) Do you think quality coaches and players that the dolphins might lure to Miami care about the the current team, fan and media sentiment. (would say a peyton manning or Matt Flynn or Kevin Coyle consider the envoirnment in miami better now than a week ago)
I would hope not, in regards to popular (groupthink) opinion. I'd like to think men can make up their own minds without having to rely on pundits and fans. Now, of course a player or coach would find Miami a more attractive place now, because for better or for worse, we have the beginings of a structure in place. That's just natural. Nobody wants to walk into an unknown. We're now more known than unknown as opposed to two weeks ago.

I think If you answer these questions you will see the point of my post.. It was not to say things are all rosy. but instead to say that things are looking up and we have a reason to be at least a bit more optimistic than we were a few weeks ago. and I am comparing this to if we had went with some of the other coaches that were available. I think that Philbin was actually probably one of the best available. Will he be the one that brings the glory days back to Miami? who knows? But I get the feeling that we are loosing the image of being a laughing stock.
I simply object to the terminoligy you used in relation to the team. The franchise was not breaking down or any such thing. It was a halt to consider the best options moving forward and then executeing them.

I'm excited. If the Dolphins get Mike Sherman, Matt Flynn, draft a legitimate future QB and RT (maybe the Pounceys or the Longs have another son we can draft), well, I'll be like Dieter from "Sprockets" and be as happy as a little girl...

Michael

Back
Top Bottom