Ourlads Scouting Service on Sporting News Radio | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ourlads Scouting Service on Sporting News Radio

WILLIS29 said:
Yeah, because there just isn't that much talent this year. last year he would have gone in the 2nd or 3rd

I may be wrong but that seems like bs to me. This draft isnt that bad that a guy goes from 3rd round to top 10. Is Smith a worse prospect than Boller or Losman? They were mid first rounders and I dont see them as that much better than Smith for people to say that Smith would have gone 2 rounds after them if he were in there draft

Alex Smith at worst will be scooped up by the 8th pick where the Cardinals are sure to pick him up.I doubt if he will get that far.He is a top5 pick even under the worst circumstances IMO.

So their theory is that certain player will get taken earlier than they should and vice versa based on team need. Yet, they have Frye rated almost 10 spots higher than Rodgers or Smith. Why would teams be looking at Smith/Rodgers at the top of the 1st and not looking at Frye until the 2nd?

I used to respect Ourlads quite a bit

I got their magazine and newsletters for at least a decade. Now I rely on the internet and saving game tapes from the previous year.

I've posted this before and I realize no one agrees, but I think mock drafts are a waste. A flimsy prediction of opinions that topples once the first surprise or two inevitably occurs.

If Ourlads projects Alex Smith to go in the 3rd round, obviously that's lunacy. But if they rate him their 84th best prospect, or whatever, I can respect that. Otherwise, why be alone when you can be a clone? I prefer a ranking of players 1-200, or beyond, as opposed to a mock draft. That allows for much more flexibility and isn't dependent on supposed team needs.

Boik14 said:
They have some major reaches. Reggie Brown, Demarcus Ware and luis Castillo are not 1st rd players. Especially Brown who imo and in the opinion of everywhere else Ive read hes a 3-4th rd type player. Merriman at 3? Not as bad as the above mentioned reaches but still a stretch. hes not, in any way shape or form, better than Derrick Johnson...unless someone thinks hes going to be a stand up rusher in the 3-4 a la willie McGinest or Peter Boulware.
Mike Mayock on the NFL Network also rates Brown as a 1st rounder, or so he says. Only thing is, it seems like he has about 60 players rated as first rounders. :)

DonShula84 said:
I cant believe they have Rogers, Marlin Jackson and Miller going before PacMan Jones

I've been reading that he is dropping...something about a slow 40 time in comparison to his height. He is a tad shorter than the avg corner with normal speed. I guess he is not a DeAngelo Hall type blazer. That was supposed to push him above and beyond Rolle/Rogers/etc. The only problem was that these other guys had very nice showings in their workouts.

byroan said:
Very bad comparison. Just because there has been a WR bust from michigan doesn't mean there will be more. :shakeno:

Its not a bad comparison, He has concentration problems so does Terrell. He makes great catches so does Terrell. He drops to many catchable balls so does Terrell. He is over hyped and so was Terrell

Boik14 said:
Anyone who think Dj cant take on a block or shies away from doing so clearly never saw him play. Yes he freelances a bit...whoop de doo so did Junior Seau for a number of years and i see nothing wrong with his stats or performance. Freelancing is ok if you can still make the plays.

What I was saying is that is the knock on DJ. That was not my opinion of him.

This thread reminds me of something surprising last year.

Didn't "Ourlad's" get their a$$es kick in the final grades of the mock drafts? It's a shame that an organization that old in the business is so ill-informed.

Someone did an article about the final grades somewhere.... :confused:

Oh!! Here it is!!!

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/top100/

TOP 100 SCORES - is the number of top 100 prospects actually picked in the first 100 picks of Draft

1 RICK GOSSELIN 87
2 THE HUDDLE REPORT 86
3 SCOUTS INC. 84
4 MEL KIPER jr 81
5 DRAFT COUNTDOWN 80
6 NFL DRAFT STUDIO 80
7 PRO FOOTBALL WEEKLY 79
8 ASK THE COMMISH 79
9 N2FL 79
10 TFY 78
11 GREAT BLUE NORTH 77
12 NFL DRAFT SCOUT 77
13 OURLADS 77
14 DRAFT WORLD 77
15 DRAFT INSIDERS 77
16 DRUGSTORE LIST 76
17 SPORTING NEWS 76
18 DRAFT BLITZ 76
19 ON THE CLOCK 76
20 PATRICK JIRA 76
21 ROB'S SCOUTING 75
22 HARRYAWAY 75
23 COUCH SCOUT 73
24 DRAFT SHOWCASE 69
25 FOOTBALL.COM 68
26 DRAFT EXCHANGE 68

If not for McPherson's past ("gambling"...oooh) I'd bet he'd be the top rated QB this year. His physical skills as a QB are phenomenal.

dolfanmark said:
This afternoon, I heard Jim Sabo from Ourlads talking about the draft. When asked about Alex Smith, he said it's hard to say where he'll go, because he just isn't that good

Then someone needs to inform Mr. Sabo that his service has Alex Smith (the QB) rated as the 22nd rated player in the entire 2005 draft. :lol:

What a bunch of morons!!!

They have Alex Smith rated as 22nd right here in their top 64.

http://www.ourlads.com/OurladsTop64.html

At the top of the page:
Plus (+) or minus (-) marks after each name signify the prospect getting drafted higher or lower than we have them rated.

Then they don't have him projected in the first round of their mock draft.

http://www.ourlads.com/2005MockDraft.html

MORONS

The draft is a crap shoot. I do agree with their assessment of Smith, since it is what I have been saying all along. BUT, there is no way Smith falls out of teh first rd. He wont fall past #8 Arizona, qbs are the most sought after position, teams will take a chance on potential. If there is a team that is looking for a long term answer, but can afford to sit Smith for 2 years and teach mechanics, then he is a smart pickup. I just dont like him for us. If we are taking a qb #2, it means that we dont have confidence AJ is that good and we dont have 2 years to wait. When you are drafting a qb #2, you dont wait 2 years. You draft a qb rds late 1st, 2 or 3 if you wait 2 years. Now if Rogers is there at 2, grab him no questions asked, he can be ready immediately if need be.

Mock drafts are fun, but they are a waste of time. The more interesting, to me, of the draft process are the draft boards and watching players move up or down on them and mine. I can't tell you who Miami or Tennessee or Chicago will pick, but I can guess based on my draft board and the teams needs. It's all just opinions, you just have to pick which opinion you like more.

Back
Top Bottom