Ourlads Scouting Service on Sporting News Radio | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ourlads Scouting Service on Sporting News Radio

dolfanmark

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
This afternoon, I heard Jim Sabo from Ourlads talking about the draft. When asked about Alex Smith, he said it's hard to say where he'll go, because he just isn't that good, but some team may get desperate. He said that Smith does not have a great arm, does ok in the shotgun, but is not as good when dropping back from center. And that in other years, he'd be a 2nd or 3rd round pick, at best. He said that unless he gets taken in the top 10, he may fall a long way. In fact, on their mock draft, they don't even have him going in the first round. Sabo went on to say that Frye has a very good chance to be the best QB from this class. He also said it's a terrible year to have a top 5 pick, because the talent just isn't there.

Ourlads' mock:
http://www.ourlads.com/2005MockDraft.html

Ourlads' Top 64:
http://www.ourlads.com/OurladsTop64.html

Merriman as the 3rd pick, is right up in our neighborhood. Fishy Pete will love this, he predicted at least a month ago that Merriman would make a climb up the charts like this.
Surprised about Sabo still being part of Ourlads. They sold out to Dan Shonka in December and Tom Hepler retired. I guess Sabo is staying around as one of the lads. I was just under the impression from the press release that Shonka and Brian DeLucia were doing it all from now on.

Alex Smith not going in the 1st round.:shakeno: I can't believe these people get paid to write this. I would bet my life that he's going to be a 1st round pick.

You've got 2 weeks left to live Anthony.

He'll be a first round pick easily. He may be the #2 pick.

They have some major reaches. Reggie Brown, Demarcus Ware and luis Castillo are not 1st rd players. Especially Brown who imo and in the opinion of everywhere else Ive read hes a 3-4th rd type player. Merriman at 3? Not as bad as the above mentioned reaches but still a stretch. hes not, in any way shape or form, better than Derrick Johnson...unless someone thinks hes going to be a stand up rusher in the 3-4 a la willie McGinest or Peter Boulware.

Boik14 said:
They have some major reaches. Reggie Brown, Demarcus Ware and luis Castillo are not 1st rd players. Especially Brown who imo and in the opinion of everywhere else Ive read hes a 3-4th rd type player. Merriman at 3? Not as bad as the above mentioned reaches but still a stretch. hes not, in any way shape or form, better than Derrick Johnson...unless someone thinks hes going to be a stand up rusher in the 3-4 a la willie McGinest or Peter Boulware.

They do have alot of reaches but there are many teams and experts that feel Merriman is far better that Johnson. Johnson is getting knocked because he is a free lancer and doesnt want to take on blocks. Think LeVar Arrington but with less physical talent.

Smith and Rodgers are both just average QB prospects I think. Neither should be top 10 picks. But I think Smith might have more upside then Rodgers, just based on age, size and intelligence. Id personally rather take someone like Frye or Jason Cambell in the 2nd rd. then invest a high pick in Rodgers or Smith. I hope Saban is smart, the he'll probably go for Edwards, Brown or Rolle.

PhinsPhan said:
They do have alot of reaches but there are many teams and experts that feel Merriman is far better that Johnson. Johnson is getting knocked because he is a free lancer and doesnt want to take on blocks. Think LeVar Arrington but with less physical talent.
Anyone who think Dj cant take on a block or shies away from doing so clearly never saw him play. Yes he freelances a bit...whoop de doo so did Junior Seau for a number of years and i see nothing wrong with his stats or performance. Freelancing is ok if you can still make the plays.

KillerJosh373 said:
Smith and Rodgers are both just average QB prospects I think. Neither should be top 10 picks. But I think Smith might have more upside then Rodgers, just based on age, size and intelligence. Id personally rather take someone like Frye or Jason Cambell in the 2nd rd. then invest a high pick in Rodgers or Smith. I hope Saban is smart, the he'll probably go for Edwards, Brown or Rolle.
You were doing great...right up until you mentioned David Terrell Jr aka Braylon. :shakeno:

Boik14 said:
You were doing great...right up until you mentioned David Terrell Jr aka Braylon. :shakeno:

Very bad comparison. Just because there has been a WR bust from michigan doesn't mean there will be more. :shakeno:

Anthony3454 said:
Alex Smith not going in the 1st round.:shakeno: I can't believe these people get paid to write this. I would bet my life that he's going to be a 1st round pick.
Yeah, because there just isn't that much talent this year. last year he would have gone in the 2nd or 3rd

Back
Top Bottom