Overreaction Or Legit Concern | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overreaction Or Legit Concern

Im past the point of just looking at it as a camp or first game problem.

The offense hasn’t been able to produce points and never starts quick. (Or rarely). The hope is/ was with the QB back and changes on the roster this year would be different- it still very well might be.

I have just moved to a position of doubt until you show me different. Same situation with the defense - defending the middle of the field and stopping the run etc.

The trends are the same it seems also no matter if its first team or second team or third for the most part.

Hoping to see better from here, but just to dismiss the struggles as its camp or pre season - including the penalties- I think would be looking through things through rose colored glasses and might be really disappointed again.

Another month were going to find out for real

How can anyone say that the fans are wrong to have doubts? This team hasn't won a superbowl in 45 YEARS!!!!

I'm hoping for the best and one pre season game does not make a season but the team doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.
They need to go out there and earn our trust.

The offense hasn’t been able to produce points and never starts quick. (Or rarely). The hope is/ was with the QB back and changes on the roster this year would be different- it still very well might be.

I have just moved to a position of doubt until you show me different. Same situation with the defense - defending the middle of the field and stopping the run etc.

The trends are the same it seems also no matter if its first team or second team or third for the most part.

Hoping to see better from here, but just to dismiss the struggles as its camp or pre season - including the penalties- I think would be looking through things through rose colored glasses and might be really disappointed again.

beat by a couple of minutes. I too saw some trends that are not good. Things we've seen before. Maybe the team will be different this year but nothing we saw last night screams changed. We'll see what happens. Too early to tell but I'm a little skeptic at the moment.

Unfortunately I was unable to watch the game and instead I searched the Internet and Twitter trying to find updates On the game. All these negative reports on the defense scares the h*** out of me. The same thing last pre season and after the 1st 5 games of the regular season Miami's defense faltered and fell off the rails. Cause for concern I believe so!!

Unfortunately I was unable to watch the game and instead I searched the Internet and Twitter trying to find updates On the game. All these negative reports on the defense scares the h*** out of me. The same thing last pre season and after the 1st 5 games of the regular season Miami's defense faltered and fell off the rails. Cause for concern I believe so!!

Minkah was balling though!

D-Coord better find a way to plug in all 3 of our Pro Bowl level Safety.

You weren't encouraged by the lone drive from the first team offense? Tannehill looked good considering it was his first game action in a year and a half. The OL which has been a huge concern played really well. Drake 5ypc. Were in position to put up points, just gotta make the kick

Last edited:
You weren't encouraged by the lone drive from the first team offense? Tannehill looked good considering it was his first game action in a year and a half. The OL which has been a huge concerned played really well. Drake 5ypc. Were in position to put up points, just gotta make the kick

Ryan made a couple good throws and a couple bad, to be expected at this point IMO. That holding call again, we did overcome that. It was still a longer FG attempt.

The key for me is Points, we dont score and havent scored enough- its that simple at this time for me.

Again, it can change- I get it but I need to see complete drives ending in TD’s more often

First team offense looked fine. Then add in Wilson who played well and Gesicki looked like a mismatch.

First team D got carved up.

That’s about all I took from that game.

It was just good to see some football.
We're not going to win the SB this season and probably won't even make the play-offs if Las Vegas has our number.
This should not be considered a make or break year for Gase or Tannehill.
I want to see solid improvement from week to week and entertaining football when the regular season starts.

Given the certified underwhelming performance of this team over the past umpteen years (excluding a minor lucky blip called 2016) I tend to believe everything is a concern until proven otherwise. And I'll start with the HC and move down...

Gase has a LOT to prove in terms of producing a consistent winning product on the field. I tend to get the impression he's better at his pressers than what he's achieving on the field. And that's the core point -- its all about the product on the field -- not the hype or supposed "brilliance" behind the design. Gase needs to SHOW us an efficient, effective, disciplined O that tends to score early and often. Until that's been proven, Gase is a concern in my view.

We all know the deal with Ryan. I want to believe but there are definite unprovens and therefore legit concerns. Bottom line -- its based on production and points on the board. I just don't see Thill ever being capable of consistently executing an O that lights up the scoreboard. His brand (regretfully) trends towards sporadic -- lacking consistency and execution at crucial times. Sure. I hope he proves to be a pinball wizard with the scoreboard. But...

Matt Burke. Other than being a sarcastic rascal and extreme vacationer -- what has he proven as an N F L DC? Kind of reminds me of Gase in the sense I get the feeling Burke talks a better game than he actually produces. Another unproven that has to be a concern.

Last, considering the team has so many other unprovens and/or concerns its highly doubtful we're going to turn the corner on every one of them this season. And I'm OK with that. But its has to start at the TOP. Gase has to prove he can create a disciplined TEAM -- and especially an O that scores early and often. He's touted as an offensive guru ("brilliant") and the team has a lot of pieces he hand picked.

So get the job done.

Or get outta town!

Last edited:
It was just good to see some football.
We're not going to win the SB this season and probably won't even make the play-offs if Las Vegas has our number.
This should not be considered a make or break year for Gase or Tannehill.
I want to see solid improvement from week to week and entertaining football when the regular season starts.

I gotta disagree on the Tannehill comment. It's time. Best OL he's had, deep/talented receiving core, what looks to be his best TE, deep stable of running backs - it's time. Period. If he doesn't produce we have to bring in legit competition for him next year and have an open competition for QB1

My concern is the defensive scheme. I know people here say, no plan was made for this game but I don't get that. If you don't practice your real defense against other teams in preseason, do we just hope and pray it works in game one?
If there's no plan, why not blitz more, take some chances since these are "Free games."
All I see and hear is Burke displaying an air of ****iness talking tough, telling players, "You're not going to like me." Blah blah. I'm unimpressed this game, last season, and the season before.

The secondary played off man,not Xaviens forte.One of the catches against him was a zone. Anthony is just plain
horrible completely clueless.D-line must do better,McMillan gets a pass but he better start showing something.
All said not a bad first showing TB kept starters in quite a while vs our 2nds.O-line looked solid.wrs very good as
well as rbs.The one big suprise for me was Thomas Duarte got extended snaps and looked solid

Minkah was balling though!

D-Coord better find a way to plug in all 3 of our Pro Bowl level Safety.
It's good to know that Minkah Fitzpatrick and Baker played well. Perhaps there is some hope moving forward. But I'm not going to feel any better until I start to see results on defense. Thank god for the 2019 draft being loaded at the DL position, that's an area I think will end up being the top priority.

Now I made the Raekwon thread more because I've been wondering why we're considering him a big fix in the middle without ever seeing him play in the NFL for a long while. It had more to do with that than what I saw last night. Football is a long game, you really can't draw any conclusions from a couple series. I've seen many a game where the Miami defense gives up a score on the first drive and ultimately won the game. I'm not that guy who expects the defense to give up 0 points and the offense to score on every possession. Don't laugh we have them here without a doubt, you could tell from the game thread last night. So no I'm not concerned after one preseason games where the starters barely played.

Back
Top Bottom