Overreaction Or Legit Concern

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Classic, Aug 10, 2018 at 11:05 AM.

1. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

Oh trust me, I’ll be here for them.

All 5 of them.

DolfanDuBbZ~, Phins28 and joerobbie like this.
  2. Russ57

Russ57 Well-Known Member

We run a DL scheme that asks the DT’s to get up the field. IMHO they did that but that puts a lot of pressure on the LB’ers and DB’s. Better to play man than zone.

I think we would be better playing Allen/McMillian at SAM, Kiko/Anthony at MIKE, and Baker/McDonald (Polling?) at WILL. We need more talent in this group if we stay with similar scheme.

We need DE’s to perform. We need the offense to start with urgency.

So yes, there is reason for concern but I think there is also reason for hope. Just question if some are in best position to succeed.

Ray R likes this.
  3. Classic

Classic Well-Known Member

We're starting 3-0 so 2-11 to finish the season huh? That's rough

Ray R and joenhre like this.
  4. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

If it was only one game, it would be an overreaction. If we were the Pats or Steelers, it would not be a concern. It's not and we're not. This is the same pattern that we have seen for years. Just enough to tease you to make you think they will be good, but ultimately ending in disappointment. Interestingly, the best players last night have spent the least amount of time with our team.

Spiff and Danny like this.
  5. Classic

It was a total of 10-20 snaps for most of our starters bro...

pacresjt and Ray R like this.
  6. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

It really is the same thing annually isn’t it? The preseason is no indicator for how it will go once it counts. I understand for established teams NE, PIT, ATL, NO, etc it’s a bit different.

7. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

I think concerns about our defense are legit. With Mike Hull down, our already thin linebacker corps is already in deep waters.

Ray R likes this.
  8. finfan41

finfan41 Rookie Finheaven VIP

I have no concerns after the first person game, playing vanilla o and d, coaches want to see who stands out with basic play calling, plus there was probably a lot of players with butterflies, I mean practice an scrimmages are one thing but games are a lot different

Ray R likes this.
  9. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Posting in panic mode after one O series and one D series is over-reaction. That said, I didn't like most of what I read about

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Perennial All-Pro

that’s a good read, TY..

I had Stephon Anthony as a bust coming out of Clemson, so nothing he did last nite surprised me, I just worry why Burke is throwing him out there as a starter..

Ray R likes this.
  11. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

I thought Matt Burke was in over his head in 2017, and nothing I have seen or heard so far in the 2018 off-season has made me think otherwise.

dnespins, phintim and dolfan91 like this.
  12. djphinfan

djphinfan Perennial All-Pro

I think as we go through this preseason Phiilps and Taylor might flip the script..

Manning and GUH-sick-EE like this.
  13. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

At this point I'd say overreaction. Not that there aren't legitimate concerns. My biggest is the run defense.

Honestly, for me this season is about Gase getting the offense going and moving quickly in the right direction on that side of the ball.

The defense may be a complete mess, but I do think the secondary has some serious talent.

How it all projects with wins and losses who knows. I'll hold with 9-7.

14. JahnDho

JahnDho Well-Known Member

Ray R likes this.
  15. JahnDho

JahnDho Well-Known Member

He’s not wrong Walter, he’s just an @**hole

16. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

I agree 100%!!!

17. Classic

Not knocking your opinion just curious, what could you see or hear in the offseason to change your opinion?

There hasn't been any substantial game planning yet so what has he done in the offseason to lead you to believe he wont improve?

GUH-sick-EE, phintim and Ray R like this.
  18. MRojas4

MRojas4 The Cheese Connoisseur Finheaven VIP

Eh....

I understand the it's pre-season game 1, vanilla play calling which is understandable for the team gelling together.

Watch the fundamentals, is a guy just straight up getting wrecked at the point of attack. Is the foot work sloppy, no punch in the push.

This isn't stuff a few weeks of camp is going to fix. Either a guy has it or he doesn't.

DT position looks....... very concerning.

19. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Parker is in some fans dog house and it really doesn't matter what he does in preseason that's not going to change. He was on the field for six pass plays no targets... I wouldn't overreact to that. It didn't look like there were any calls that even called for the qb to really consider him an option, maybe the crossing route to Drake after Parker had cleared the zone first. As with most things I'll wait until the regular season to start getting concerned. I mean would we really get that upset over the fact that a receiver didn't catch a pass on one drive during the regular season?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 3:45 PM
  20. JJM_7

JJM_7 A True Fan

At this point the penalties are a coaching staff issue, not a players issue. It is what it is. Gase makes up for it in other areas. I don't expect things to change much in that department.

I don't like our depth at all in the secondary, so really hoping we can stay healthy for the most part in that unit.

Red zone offense AND defense need to improve. It's been an issue for some time now, but with Ryan back I expect on offense we'll be fine. Don't have the same confidence on defense though.

Pass rush is a big ? for me, but I won't panic just yet.

Our 2018 kicker will probably give us more headaches than Parkey did last year. Wish we could've kept him but it's time to move on and hope for the best. Rizzi needs to deliver here.

21. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Sorry it’s been said the starters outside of young rookies etc weren’t going all out. I’ll reserve judgement

22. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

It's kind of disappointing that the only positive spin on the team right now is that we don't have a large enough sample size to be concerned.

Matt Burke has a propensity for taking dumps on players in the media, if that defense goes south this year the players could very well turn on him.

BahamaFinFan78 likes this.
  23. Liphinphan

Liphinphan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Have you ever thought about changing you name to No sir? Yikes.

24. Stoobz

Stoobz Scout Team Finheaven VIP

Wasn't anyone else not impressed with Tankersley?

Ballage has some utility to him - looks like he can be an exciting part of the offense but he got taken down a couple times far too easily for a 235 lb. dude.

The OL didn't look world class but neither did they embarrass themselves. That's a huge improvement.

25. Classic

That's not the only positive spin:

Tannehill is healthy, completed 4 of 6 and got us in field goal range on his first drive in a year and a half

Minkah was all over the place last night. Played very well.

The OL (all strings) were very solid

Kallen Ballage flashed potential in his first action.

Albert Wilson looked good.

Gesicki got open in the endzone on a should be touch down.

Jerome Baker was a lightening bolt out there. Played well, nice tackle for loss...

There were positives and definitely areas that need work

26. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

Overreaction or Legit Concern:

Raekwon underwhelming? Overreaction, for now. Let's give him some more time to see what he can be. On a side note...I was impressed with Baker this game.

Parker invisible? Legit concern. He is what he has been for us his entire time here. A few good plays, then not seen. Nothing new.

Kicking competition? Overreaction. The one missed FG was 53 yards. And people were acting like the first team was doing something. They have to be able to do more than have us kicking 50+ yard FGs every game.

Secondary struggles? Very legit concern. The entire D looked lost except Minkah and Baker. It may be a coach problem.

Penalities? This falls right on Gase. He needs to pick Don's ear and find out how to stop it.

No pass rush? Legit concern. If we can't find one soon, It'll be a long season.

Interior DL? Small concern. I think we have the people to do well here as Taylor proved in the 4th quarter. It'll only get better.

27. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

A few positives from yesterdays game:
    Minkah was as good as advertised. I can't wait until he really learns the playbook.
    Ballage also looked hungry and ready to play. He bounced back very well after his fumble.
    Baker looked fast and good. I'll say he looked more promising than Raekwon yesterday.

Matt Burke looked over his head. Maybe he received the position too soon.

Vaark likes this.
  28. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Starting oline played 10 plays and looked pretty good to me. If they play like they did on the first drive i would be impressed.

GUH-sick-EE and Ray R like this.
  29. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I wish they would show the field goal attempts from behind the kicker instead of behind the goal post. I can tell plenty based on alignment and mechanics but it's so much more of a guess from behind the uprights.

Parker is like Phillips in that we know what he is at this point. Still looks identical to that bowl game I attended in Orlando when Louisville played the Canes. Boring player who lopes around with the cornerback 90% of the time, head down with little field instincts or urgency. I thought that recent practice video of Parker playing patty cake with the tackling dummies was a perfect insight into his personality. Regardless, like Phillips the 2-3 big plays he can make per game are valuable and shouldn't be thrown away until a legit star is found. The Dolphins have demonstrated almost zero ability to identify players like that.

The aspect that stood out beyond anything last night was lack of front line players on defense. I realize a few guys didn't play. That shouldn't change the impression so drastically. When the play finished and our defenders were walking back to the line of scrimmage it was glaring that it simply looked like a sad lot of marginal talent. The defensive tackles drafted last year are okay given where they were picked but are hardly difference makers in this league. Anthony was a poor grab. Fitzpatrick can be elite or semi-elite but other guys like Howard are over hyped based on a good stretch here or there. Notice how frequently that happens with Howard. He's been raved about several times dating to rookie year but then it drifts back again, once the matchup is not as favorable with receiver or opposing offense. I have no idea how he's considered a shut down corner. That phrase should not threaten to exist in Dolphin world, given our pass defense of late.

30. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you. Finheaven VIP

Interesting rushing stats from last night:

Dolphins
    22/116/1TD
    5ypc

Buccaneers
    28/74/2TDs
    2ypc

31. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Totally disagree. We have a lot more depth with the good players drafted and free agents like Gore, Amendola, Quinn, Sitton, etc joining the team. Provided Tannehill stays healthy, this is our best chance to make the playoffs in many years. I am looking forward to the season because I expect the team to surprise many. Gase has put his stamp on the roster - who he wants and who he doesn't.

32. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Overreaction? Not of Finheaven.

33. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Congratulations for having the energy to respond to him.

34. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

Appreciate the retort. Of course you expect the team to surprise, and everything is going to be peaches and cream. You’re a homer to the core and I admire the optimism.

But I live in the reasonable pessimist world. Where I take a look at the defensive tackles and linebackers, and see a team that is going to be shredded in both base and nickel.

I also see a team where on offense there isn’t a single established star on the offensive side of the ball. Not a single one. Ryan Tannehill’s return has you optimistic? Not I. The Dolphins offense in his 77 career starts average like 20.7 points per game. I’m not enthused. He’s not a transformative player at the quarterback position.

Where is the strength of this team? The secondary? Maybe. Safeties look good, but the corners are questionable. This is a team full of JAGS until proven otherwise. And Adam Gase and Matt Burke are not exactly schematic geniuses.

Sorry but I agree with Vegas and the majority of the pundits covering the league predicting us to be a team that’ll be drafting top 5 in 2019

Maybe I’ll be wrong, but I strongly doubt I will be.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 6:44 PM
  35. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Did you mean pragmatic, or is this a call for help because your interred in a mental hospital, or possibly you don't understand the difference between pragmatism and pessimism? Based on many of your posts I feel pessimism is an accurate description of your attitude, but there is nothing practical about pessimism, don't take my word for it - look it up. I just did.

36. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

LOL! So true.

37. pacresjt

pacresjt Well-Known Member

Was it even that much? I think some starters saw one series and other saw two series and we mixed in some 2’s and 3’s. Anything written on here about being concerned with the limited number of plays each player got is over reacting. Maybe the D Line But that was a mix match of guys too. Let’s give them till “exibition game 3” to worry about any position group.

I saw a lot of encouraging things out on the field. For the most part Gase just keeps it real simple, he seems to be more concerned with executing the plays and situational football rather than worrying about winning. That’s the way games 1,2 and 4 should be played. To see how these guys work in the system. Oh and by the way we should cut Caroo now so the guys fighting for 5 and 6 WR can get more snaps. Time to throw in the towel in that guy.

38. Anvil35

Anvil35 Leave Users Titles Alone!! Finheaven VIP Donator

I disagree with you about penalties being solely on the coaching. These are grown men getting paid to play a childs game, they are professionals!

Superself, GUH-sick-EE and Ray R like this.
  39. Gsmack_42

Gsmack_42 A True Fan

I want to know what kind of jobs the people have That are saying it’s all on Gase about the penalties. What can he do other than not play them. Witch if there a starter hurts the rest of the team.These are professionals that for the most part have been playing this game for over half there life. I’ve done my job over half my life, and if I make a mistake it’s totally on me not my boss.

40. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Disagree and if so 3 years ago when we went 10 6 we then would have been the worst in years. Sure we have no super stars yet this year and we had a couple in 2016 but nothing else.
    Kickers we are ok so far lets not panic
    Recievers good shape if they stay healthy
    Tight end lots of potential
    Offense line solid
    Running backs see recievers
    QB see recievers
    DE potential out the ying yang wheres the production
    DT stiil need a 4th starter, Spence not there yet
    LB hum we have Baker, Kiko if he can play like he did in 2016, everyone else is a mystery.
    CB loaded with talent and depth so lets see it on the field.
    Safty best we have had for awhile
    Offensive coaching good
    Defensive coaching not sold yet needs help.

KBEE and Ray R like this.