Overreaction Or Legit Concern | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overreaction Or Legit Concern

It really is the same thing annually isn’t it? The preseason is no indicator for how it will go once it counts. I understand for established teams NE, PIT, ATL, NO, etc it’s a bit different.

I think concerns about our defense are legit. With Mike Hull down, our already thin linebacker corps is already in deep waters.

I have no concerns after the first person game, playing vanilla o and d, coaches want to see who stands out with basic play calling, plus there was probably a lot of players with butterflies, I mean practice an scrimmages are one thing but games are a lot different

Seeing alot of panic on the forum from one preseason game. One where two of our defenders didn't suit up and our one's played a few series.

Overreaction or Legit Concern:

Raekwon underwhelming?

Parker invisible?

Kicking competition?

Secondary struggles?

Penalities?

No pass rush?

Interior DL?

Weigh in... I'll be back with my takes

Posting in panic mode after one O series and one D series is over-reaction. That said, I didn't like most of what I read about

Raekwon underwhelming? Overreaction, for now. I consider Raekwon a rookie still. The fact he made it through the game without injury is a move in the right direction. Last year he played one snap on special teams and was done for the season. He's still young (21?) so there's time. I was never high on him as a draft pick but if he can at least be a thumper and stop all these gashing runs against the defense then the team has made progress.

Parker invisible? Legit concern. I think the Parker we've seen, the one that shows flashes every now and again...I think that's all we're going to get. As deep as this position is it would be smart of the Dolphins to try and trade him for anything they can get. Cleveland traded their 1st round pick WR to Buffalo for a 7th round pick in return...Parker has more value than that. If someone offered me a 5th I think I'd pull the trigger. I think we'd be just as good with a corp of Amendola, Wilson, Stills, Ford and Jakeem Grant. Obviously not a lot of size in that group but then Parker hasn't played like a 6'3" WR either. He's played more like a 6'0" WR.

Kicking competition? Overreaction. Don't forget that Parkey kicked a few KOs out of bounds when he first got here too. Joseph kicked one out of bounds but he made his FG attempt from 48 yards and Sanders made his extra point attempt and went 2/3 on FGs with his one miss coming from 53 yards. That's not a bad debut. The battle is not over.

Secondary struggles? Legit concern. This was an issue last year with communication being the biggest problem. The longer this takes to sort out the CB opposite Howard the more worrisome I feel this will be. Dolphins never got the communication issue worked out last year. They hired a new DB coach and still the issues remain. Is it an intelligence issue? Is it a lack of ability issue? A combination of both? This one worries me.

Penalities? Gase's teams are highly penalized. Go back and look at the offenses he's run in the NFL. All of them rack up penalties. It is what it is. Just learn to live with it.

No pass rush? Major concern. We got no pass rush on a banged up Tampa Bay O-line. Secondary struggles contribute to the lack of pass rush. Teams know that this defense struggles with the short passing game because of the linebackers and bad communication issues. Until that's resolved all of these high draft picks and traded draft picks for players who make a living getting to the QB was done for nothing.

Interior DL? Not as concerned with this as I am with linebacker play. Seemed to me, from the little I got to see, that Tampa's O-line wasn't getting to the second level. DL was taking up the blockers at least, if they weren't getting the tackles. Where were the linebackers to clean up? I said this last year when we traded for Stephone Anthony but that dude has no instinct and/or he's dumb as rocks. If you watch Tampa's first rushing TD Anthony takes himself completely out of the play...he has no clue where the ball is and he left a huge gapping hole. This dude's another Phillip Wheeler.
that’s a good read, TY..

I had Stephon Anthony as a bust coming out of Clemson, so nothing he did last nite surprised me, I just worry why Burke is throwing him out there as a starter..

At this point I'd say overreaction. Not that there aren't legitimate concerns. My biggest is the run defense.

Honestly, for me this season is about Gase getting the offense going and moving quickly in the right direction on that side of the ball.

The defense may be a complete mess, but I do think the secondary has some serious talent.

How it all projects with wins and losses who knows. I'll hold with 9-7.

Seeing alot of panic on the forum from one preseason game. One where two of our defenders didn't suit up and our one's played a few series.

Raekwon underwhelming? Will be inconsistent. Basically a rookie.

Parker invisible? Concerning; if doesn’t step up they’ll need to draft a WR early next year. Too many other needs to have to do that.

Kicking competition? Concerning; should have Keith their K 3 years ago. Let em grow.

Secondary struggles? No concern

Penalities? Young team, needs time.

No pass rush? Concern; no elite DE. Relying on a aging DE who’s never been himself since all the injuries. Harris not stepping up enough.

Interior DL? Of course this is an issue; is anyone surprised?

Weigh in... I'll be back with my takes

I thought Matt Burke was in over his head in 2017, and nothing I have seen or heard so far in the 2018 off-season has made me think otherwise.
Not knocking your opinion just curious, what could you see or hear in the offseason to change your opinion?

There hasn't been any substantial game planning yet so what has he done in the offseason to lead you to believe he wont improve?

Eh....

I understand the it's pre-season game 1, vanilla play calling which is understandable for the team gelling together.

Watch the fundamentals, is a guy just straight up getting wrecked at the point of attack. Is the foot work sloppy, no punch in the push.

This isn't stuff a few weeks of camp is going to fix. Either a guy has it or he doesn't.

DT position looks....... very concerning.

Parker is in some fans dog house and it really doesn't matter what he does in preseason that's not going to change. He was on the field for six pass plays no targets... I wouldn't overreact to that. It didn't look like there were any calls that even called for the qb to really consider him an option, maybe the crossing route to Drake after Parker had cleared the zone first. As with most things I'll wait until the regular season to start getting concerned. I mean would we really get that upset over the fact that a receiver didn't catch a pass on one drive during the regular season?

Last edited:
At this point the penalties are a coaching staff issue, not a players issue. It is what it is. Gase makes up for it in other areas. I don't expect things to change much in that department.

I don't like our depth at all in the secondary, so really hoping we can stay healthy for the most part in that unit.

Red zone offense AND defense need to improve. It's been an issue for some time now, but with Ryan back I expect on offense we'll be fine. Don't have the same confidence on defense though.

Pass rush is a big ? for me, but I won't panic just yet.

Our 2018 kicker will probably give us more headaches than Parkey did last year. Wish we could've kept him but it's time to move on and hope for the best. Rizzi needs to deliver here.

Back
Top Bottom