Overreaction Or Legit Concern | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overreaction Or Legit Concern

Watched the first 10 minutes. I understand it's all vanilla play calling.

But our D-line, specifically the DT's got thrown around. Zero push, zero anything. I know Suh didn't live up to the hype, but we better do something.

Again, just off fundamentals.

On the other hand, Minkah looking like the real deal.
Sorry it’s been said the starters outside of young rookies etc weren’t going all out. I’ll reserve judgement

It's kind of disappointing that the only positive spin on the team right now is that we don't have a large enough sample size to be concerned.

Matt Burke has a propensity for taking dumps on players in the media, if that defense goes south this year the players could very well turn on him.

Wasn't anyone else not impressed with Tankersley?

Ballage has some utility to him - looks like he can be an exciting part of the offense but he got taken down a couple times far too easily for a 235 lb. dude.

The OL didn't look world class but neither did they embarrass themselves. That's a huge improvement.

It's kind of disappointing that the only positive spin on the team right now is that we don't have a large enough sample size to be concerned.

Matt Burke has a propensity for taking dumps on players in the media, if that defense goes south this year the players could very well turn on him.
That's not the only positive spin:

Tannehill is healthy, completed 4 of 6 and got us in field goal range on his first drive in a year and a half

Minkah was all over the place last night. Played very well.

The OL (all strings) were very solid

Kallen Ballage flashed potential in his first action.

Albert Wilson looked good.

Gesicki got open in the endzone on a should be touch down.

Jerome Baker was a lightening bolt out there. Played well, nice tackle for loss...

There were positives and definitely areas that need work

Overreaction or Legit Concern:

Raekwon underwhelming? Overreaction, for now. Let's give him some more time to see what he can be. On a side note...I was impressed with Baker this game.

Parker invisible? Legit concern. He is what he has been for us his entire time here. A few good plays, then not seen. Nothing new.

Kicking competition? Overreaction. The one missed FG was 53 yards. And people were acting like the first team was doing something. They have to be able to do more than have us kicking 50+ yard FGs every game.

Secondary struggles? Very legit concern. The entire D looked lost except Minkah and Baker. It may be a coach problem.

Penalities? This falls right on Gase. He needs to pick Don's ear and find out how to stop it.

No pass rush? Legit concern. If we can't find one soon, It'll be a long season.

Interior DL? Small concern. I think we have the people to do well here as Taylor proved in the 4th quarter. It'll only get better.

A few positives from yesterdays game:
Minkah was as good as advertised. I can't wait until he really learns the playbook.
Ballage also looked hungry and ready to play. He bounced back very well after his fumble.
Baker looked fast and good. I'll say he looked more promising than Raekwon yesterday.

Matt Burke looked over his head. Maybe he received the position too soon.

Wasn't anyone else not impressed with Tankersley?

Ballage has some utility to him - looks like he can be an exciting part of the offense but he got taken down a couple times far too easily for a 235 lb. dude.

The OL didn't look world class but neither did they embarrass themselves. That's a huge improvement.

Starting oline played 10 plays and looked pretty good to me. If they play like they did on the first drive i would be impressed.

I wish they would show the field goal attempts from behind the kicker instead of behind the goal post. I can tell plenty based on alignment and mechanics but it's so much more of a guess from behind the uprights.

Parker is like Phillips in that we know what he is at this point. Still looks identical to that bowl game I attended in Orlando when Louisville played the Canes. Boring player who lopes around with the cornerback 90% of the time, head down with little field instincts or urgency. I thought that recent practice video of Parker playing patty cake with the tackling dummies was a perfect insight into his personality. Regardless, like Phillips the 2-3 big plays he can make per game are valuable and shouldn't be thrown away until a legit star is found. The Dolphins have demonstrated almost zero ability to identify players like that.

The aspect that stood out beyond anything last night was lack of front line players on defense. I realize a few guys didn't play. That shouldn't change the impression so drastically. When the play finished and our defenders were walking back to the line of scrimmage it was glaring that it simply looked like a sad lot of marginal talent. The defensive tackles drafted last year are okay given where they were picked but are hardly difference makers in this league. Anthony was a poor grab. Fitzpatrick can be elite or semi-elite but other guys like Howard are over hyped based on a good stretch here or there. Notice how frequently that happens with Howard. He's been raved about several times dating to rookie year but then it drifts back again, once the matchup is not as favorable with receiver or opposing offense. I have no idea how he's considered a shut down corner. That phrase should not threaten to exist in Dolphin world, given our pass defense of late.

This is one of the least talented rosters in the NFL top to bottom. That’s not an overreaction. That’s just reality.
Totally disagree. We have a lot more depth with the good players drafted and free agents like Gore, Amendola, Quinn, Sitton, etc joining the team. Provided Tannehill stays healthy, this is our best chance to make the playoffs in many years. I am looking forward to the season because I expect the team to surprise many. Gase has put his stamp on the roster - who he wants and who he doesn't.

Totally disagree. We have a lot more depth with the good players drafted and free agents like Gore, Amendola, Quinn, Sitton, etc joining the team. Provided Tannehill stays healthy, this is our best chance to make the playoffs in many years. I am looking forward to the season because I expect the team to surprise many. Gase has put his stamp on the roster - who he wants and who he doesn't.
Congratulations for having the energy to respond to him.

Appreciate the retort. Of course you expect the team to surprise, and everything is going to be peaches and cream. You’re a homer to the core and I admire the optimism.

But I live in the reasonable pessimist world. Where I take a look at the defensive tackles and linebackers, and see a team that is going to be shredded in both base and nickel.

I also see a team where on offense there isn’t a single established star on the offensive side of the ball. Not a single one. Ryan Tannehill’s return has you optimistic? Not I. The Dolphins offense in his 77 career starts average like 20.7 points per game. I’m not enthused. He’s not a transformative player at the quarterback position.

Where is the strength of this team? The secondary? Maybe. Safeties look good, but the corners are questionable. This is a team full of JAGS until proven otherwise. And Adam Gase and Matt Burke are not exactly schematic geniuses.

Sorry but I agree with Vegas and the majority of the pundits covering the league predicting us to be a team that’ll be drafting top 5 in 2019

Maybe I’ll be wrong, but I strongly doubt I will be.

Last edited:
Appreciate the retort. Of course you expect the team to surprise, and everything is going to be peaches and cream. You’re a homer to the core and I admire the optimism.

But I live in the reasonable pessimist world. Where I take a look at the defensive tackles and linebackers, and see a team that is going to be shredded in both base and nickel.

I also see a team where on offense there isn’t a single established star on the offensive side of the ball. Not a single one. Ryan Tannehill’s return has you optimistic? Not I. The Dolphins offense in his 77 career starts average like 20.7 points per game. I’m not enthused.

Where is the strength of this team? The secondary? Maybe. But the corners are questionable. This is a team full of JAGS until proven otherwise. And Adam Gase and Matt Burke are not exactly schematic geniuses.

Sorry but I agree with Vegas and the majority of the pundits covering the league predicting us to be a team that’ll be drafting top 5 in 2019

Maybe I’ll be wrong, but I strongly doubt I will be.

Did you mean pragmatic, or is this a call for help because your interred in a mental hospital, or possibly you don't understand the difference between pragmatism and pessimism? Based on many of your posts I feel pessimism is an accurate description of your attitude, but there is nothing practical about pessimism, don't take my word for it - look it up. I just did.

Back
Top Bottom