Overreaction Or Legit Concern | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overreaction Or Legit Concern

Legit concern in some areas only because some of the problems from Gases 1st 2 years still plague the team. I guess we could ignore the similarities between the last 2 years the scrimmage and Thursdays game and just hope as usual.

Overreaction after 1 preseason game no doubt

Depth means nothing compared to superb players. That's what we lack. Sons of Shula mockingly asked the proper question last season, "Will we ever find a First Team All Pro? Why is that so impossible for this franchise?"

Paraphrased but close enough.

Minus elite players we ping pong in mostly meaningless fashion between upper Crowd and lower Crowd. I'm sick of it because it was not promised that way in my youth when the Dolphins found great players year after year and via different methods. Everyone in town assumed it would always remain that way. But nowadays we try to pretend with guys like Reshad Jones.
Good to have you back man. I miss reading your posts

How can anyone say that the fans are wrong to have doubts? This team hasn't won a superbowl in 45 YEARS!!!!

I'm hoping for the best and one pre season game does not make a season but the team doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.
They need to go out there and earn our trust.
Well said Danny, I agree wholeheartedly...time to put up or shut up.
Should we panic? No! But some of what we saw in that pre season game should give us pause, at least a healthy discussion is warranted. Take Parker for instance a man I have defended since we drafted him, he doesn't get it and from all indications just disappeared. The DL...according to a fellow poster "Yikes"...once again should we panic about this? probably not....but they had better look better in the second preseason game.

Wow, it's the first preseason game folks, relax! This is one of the reasons why I hate preseason

Legit concern in some areas only because some of the problems from Gases 1st 2 years still plague the team. I guess we could ignore the similarities between the last 2 years the scrimmage and Thursdays game and just hope as usual.

That's where I am - concerns. We don't know the goals of Burke/Gase. One, obviously, is don't show too much. It's only PS. No one knows the assignments of the DTs. No one knows if the CBs assignments were almost strictly zone. We DO know the coaches wanted to see specific players in specific situations. There are others, but those will suffice. For those reasons, I'm not in panic mode. OTOH, there were still things that concern me. Parker's continued in-game absence. The size of holes in the middle. Penalties. I'm not moving from my prediction of 8-8, but, by game 3, I need to see these addressed.

I just think this is such a weird conversation, honestly.

How can you not be concerned about the defense right now? Most of us aren't saying the defense is GARBAGE. We're saying that we think it could be bad, and then giving specific reasons why. Unreliable corner play, inexperienced defensive coordinator, questionable defensive scheme, no proven linebackers anywhere on the roster (except for Kiko, who is being asked to do things he's not good at), aging pass rushers, etc.

How can you not be concerned? I gotta be honest, the two best things I saw Thursday night were our first and third round draft picks. Because Minkah looks like he just might be the guy that I hoped he was when we drafted him, and Jerome Baker actually looks like he can play football. We need quality play at FS and LB so badly it's almost sad.

How can you not be concerned about the defense right now? Most of us aren't saying the defense is GARBAGE. We're saying that we think it could be bad, and then giving specific reasons why. Unreliable corner play, inexperienced defensive coordinator, questionable defensive scheme, no proven linebackers anywhere on the roster (except for Kiko, who is being asked to do things he's not good at), aging pass rushers, etc.

How can you not be concerned? I gotta be honest, the two best things I saw Thursday night were our first and third round draft picks. Because Minkah looks like he just might be the guy that I hoped he was when we drafted him, and Jerome Baker actually looks like he can play football. We need quality play at FS and LB so badly it's almost sad.
Anthony isn't going to start. McMillan should improve. Wake, Jones and Hayes didn't play. The DBs were stuck in zone for some unknown reason. Those are some of the reasons I'm not worried. I expect man press which most of the corners are good at. Baker looks like he's already ahead of Anthony development wise. Just my take

I think "bad" is a little strong. Not too concerned about DBs, FS, SS. Mike? I expected McMillan to be more active and have expressed my concerns about the 3rd LB. Maybe Baker is the guy, but I need to see him play like that again. DTs are my biggest concern. Don't want to overplay that concern, some some of those lanes were BIG? Hard to get a read on DEs. For now, undecided. I don't think the D will be bad, although they could be, but I didn't see the talent jump I was expecting.

I think "bad" is a little strong. Not too concerned about DBs, FS, SS. Mike? I expected McMillan to be more active and have expressed my concerns about the 3rd LB. Maybe Baker is the guy, but I need to see him play like that again. DTs are my biggest concern. Don't want to overplay that concern, some some of those lanes were BIG? Hard to get a read on DEs. For now, undecided. I don't think the D will be bad, although they could be, but I didn't see the talent jump I was expecting.

It was objectively bad last season and we lost one of the best defensive players in football and we are mostly relying on the addition of guys who have never played an NFL game to give the defense a boost. With all due respect, I absolutely think there is a good chance the defense will be bad again this season.

It was objectively bad last season and we lost one of the best defensive players in football and we are mostly relying on the addition of guys who have never played an NFL game to give the defense a boost. With all due respect, I absolutely think there is a good chance the defense will be bad again this season.

A 'chance,' yes. Small chance. We seem to agree on the concerns, but disagree on likelihood.

I think Yessir said it perfectly, with the second post in this thread. Always way too much hype on this board about our roster, virtually every off season. The talent pool is just not there, Gase may feel that he has the players he can mold into a team but it will be a remarkable effort if we make the playoffs this year. My expectations are extremely low, I just hope we don't get another 6-8 win season, that's getting us absolutely nowhere.

You two knock it off or I'll starting deleting posts.

I cared little about what the starters were doing out there and I'm sure pretty much everyone on the Dolphins feel the same. I used to care how the Dolphins played all the time but now I really see the preseason for what it is. Just go out there, run some full contact plays and experience some game scenarios, get a little work, and then get the frick out before you get hurt. Don't run any play worthwhile. Don't tip your hands.

Only thing I was a little intrigued by was Tannehill for the first time in a few years. He looked like he was seeing the field well and his throws were on point.

Back
Top Bottom