Overtaking Buffalo, the Next Step in Miami's Progression | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overtaking Buffalo, the Next Step in Miami's Progression

I actually think the Pats are built more for success than the Bills. The Pats have way more depth at Defense. When Gilmore went down mid season, Pats secondary stayed consistent. If Tre White went out, Bills secondary would be ass.

They are 1 star tearing an ACL away from awful. Pats aren't built that way, though to be fair most teams are built around a star player in the NFL. If a Mahomes, Lamar, Rodgers, Brady etc tear an ACL, those teams basically just tank for the rest of the season. Bills are just lucky it hasnt happened to Allen or Diggs. Allen is big but will get popped eventually. It happens to all mobile QBs

Phillips is a stud - best Edge in the class - but I'd pass Top 40. Just don't like betting on someone with his concussion history. I'd be fine drafting Turner or Smith at 36.

I totally agree on the concussion history, I was out on him for a long time because of that, it's only recently that I've warmed to the fact that he is the best Edge and we need an Edge and we have to therefore take that chance, can't be any worse than the last two edge rushers we took in round 1.

What intrigued me then and still does.... how the 12 personnel was the base formation. That and all the motion.
Allot of this motion we see today in College and the NFL actually originated in the CFL

Many former players and coaches are now coordinating in the NFL bringing concepts over

It isn’t great football imho but the motion is interesting
As a Canadian who lives in a city with a CFL franchise, I can say that the CFL is awful. It’s just all the players who weren’t good enough to make the NFL. Sure, even now and again you get a Cam Wake or a Doug Flutie or a Warren Moon, but for the most part it's trash. The field is too big and three-down football results in way too much kicking back-and-forth between the teams.

New England Patriots are making a run , they’re getting all players that opted out back, signed a **** load of good players and bill is still the coach. AFC east will be a very tough division.
Buying a team rarely works...I don’t fear the Patsies.....

We need Tua to play much better and make more big plays, it starts at QB.

Improving the weapons and the maturation of the O-line as well as all the young players we’ve drafted of late!

We need to hit on those 5 top 50 fifty picks this year also!

I actually think the Pats are built more for success than the Bills. The Pats have way more depth at Defense. When Gilmore went down mid season, Pats secondary stayed consistent. If Tre White went out, Bills secondary would be ***.

They are 1 star tearing an ACL away from awful. Pats aren't built that way, though to be fair most teams are built around a star player in the NFL. If a Mahomes, Lamar, Rodgers, Brady etc tear an ACL, those teams basically just tank for the rest of the season. Bills are just lucky it hasnt happened to Allen or Diggs. Allen is big but will get popped eventually. It happens to all mobile QBs
Bills have a significant edge at quarterback, though.

We need Tua to play much better and make more big plays, it starts at QB.

Improving the weapons and the maturation of the O-line as well as all the young players we’ve drafted of late!

We need to hit on those 5 top 50 fifty picks this year also!
I like that you're giving Miami an extra pick! I think that could happen, but maybe a trade down from #18 for an additional 3rd?

In all seriousness, you are right. The Dolphins are in a tough divisions, they absolutely have to get it right.

Jenkins is a good shout, I'm really starting to want to focus in on him, problem we face though is the depth of the edge class may force our hand early. I can't believe they will be comfortable waiting late for Smith or Turner in the 3rd/4th round, because they need a starter here and that's a big projection.

If we could pull this off I would be most comfortable with:

6. Pitts (TE/WR)
18. Jenkins (OT)
36. Phillips (DE)
50. Williams (RB)

We may need to flip Jenkins and Phillips around, depending on how the board is falling. I'm comfortable taking a chance on Williams being there at 50, if he's not taking Sermon at 81, rather than missing out on Phillips and Jenkins.
I like your thinking. Hard to imagine Flores being patient with that glaring pass rush need, though.

I think it's possible Miami doubles up there, maybe at #18 and #36.

Phillips is a stud - best Edge in the class - but I'd pass Top 40. Just don't like betting on someone with his concussion history. I'd be fine drafting Turner or Smith at 36.
Phillips looks like the best pass rush option, but multiple concussions is a tough sell.

Miami could take him and double their odds somewhere by adding another pass rusher.

I think Flores will take Oweh at #18. Just a gut feeling that's probably wrong.

It was so much fun watching Miami this year and the gains made on both sides of the ball. The Dolphins beat six opponents by double-figures, and were in the playoff race until the last day of the season. I didn't expect that.

The season ended on a sour note, though, as the Dolphins played their worst game against Buffalo. In the first matchup between the two teams, Miami led late before the Bills won it. Injuries at wide receiver didn't help, but the pass rush after the first quarter, was virtually non-existent.

So, now the Dolphins are in a different position with the draft approaching. The 2021 season, is about taking the next step, the continued development of the young players and finding a way to beat Buffalo. The Bills are standing in Miami's way of competing for a division title. I think it's a doable challenge to at least split the series with Buffalo. After the Bills ran up the score, I can't wait to play them. You know Flores will have his team ready.

Couple of notes. Look how much Josh Allen developed when Buffalo made the Diggs trade. Having a receiver who gets open, helped Allen tremendously. More often than not, Diggs was Allen's first read. He didn't have to go through as many progressions, which meant fewer sacks and hits.

Pairing one of the top receivers in the draft with Tua could do the same thing for him. In my opinion, that's more so Smith or Waddle, who excel at getting open quickly.

Secondly, is the pass rush. Buffalo's offensive line won both games for them against Miami. They gave Allen time to throw the ball and find wide open receivers. I think most of us agree this draft doesn't have a Bosa or a Chase Young type talent so that might be a tough get.

I would argue that improving the offensive line and running game, along with getting a top receiver, could be enough to take over the Bills. Make opponents play from behind, and that works into Miami's defensive scheme.

This is exactly what I've been saying in a couple of my recent posts. The Bills are the team to beat and they absolutely embarrassed our D last year in both games, and I feel like even if we improve our O, we need to improve our D for the Bills. Our D was good last year, but it wasn't great...it was OPPORTUNISTIC. We make Josh Allen look like Pat Mahomes every time we play him.

The one thing I noticed when we played the Bills was....Josh Allen had all day to throw. It was sickening. I was so pissed at the lack of pressure and how he had all day and could just pick us apart. He also picked on specific players in our secondary...Noah in game 1 and Needham in game 2.

I know we need playmakers on O, but we really need a pass rusher, a better nickel, and a better or more instinctive S than McCain. Maybe we could draft Z. Collins at 1b who can play coverage LB and then rush on passing downs, and maybe J. Holland at 3 to play S and hope that Justin Coleman can handle the nickel (or possibly Noah as I thought I read Miami was going to let him learn nickel this year).

Whatever the case, we need to get more pressure on Allen and have better options at nickel and S IMO.

This is exactly what I've been saying in a couple of my recent posts. The Bills are the team to beat and they absolutely embarrassed our D last year in both games, and I feel like even if we improve our O, we need to improve our D for the Bills. Our D was good last year, but it wasn't great...it was OPPORTUNISTIC. We make Josh Allen look like Pat Mahomes every time we play him.

The one thing I noticed when we played the Bills was....Josh Allen had all day to throw. It was sickening. I was so pissed at the lack of pressure and how he had all day and could just pick us apart. He also picked on specific players in our secondary...Noah in game 1 and Needham in game 2.

I know we need playmakers on O, but we really need a pass rusher, a better nickel, and a better or more instinctive S than McCain. Maybe we could draft Z. Collins at 1b who can play coverage LB and then rush on passing downs, and maybe J. Holland at 3 to play S and hope that Justin Coleman can handle the nickel (or possibly Noah as I thought I read Miami was going to let him learn nickel this year).

Whatever the case, we need to get more pressure on Allen and have better options at nickel and S IMO.
Agree. All day to throw in both games. Buffalo's offensive line dominated Miami D.

I think it's more about the pass rush, although I like the idea of drafting Holland. Flo was at his pro day, too. Although, it might have been more about checking in on Sewell.

As a Canadian who lives in a city with a CFL franchise, I can say that the CFL is awful. It’s just all the players who weren’t good enough to make the NFL. Sure, even now and again you get a Cam Wake or a Doug Flutie or a Warren Moon, but for the most part it's trash. The field is too big and three-down football results in way too much kicking back-and-forth between the teams.
I concur but the two biggest issues in my op are the officiating and the CDN content rule - in no uncertain terms should CFL teams have to play and therefor pay CDNs MORE who shouldn’t be on roster in the first place so yes they end paying CDNs more than an American who can play better because there are Fewer CDNs in the first place

Back
Top Bottom