Overtaking Buffalo, the Next Step in Miami's Progression | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overtaking Buffalo, the Next Step in Miami's Progression

Agree. All day to throw in both games. Buffalo's offensive line dominated Miami D.

I think it's more about the pass rush, although I like the idea of drafting Holland. Flo was at his pro day, too. Although, it might have been more about checking in on Sewell.
And look at each of the Bills O-linemen. They were not high draft picks. This follows the Patriots as well....Thuney, Andrews, Cannon, etc. You do NOT need to draft linemen in high rounds to have a good OL. This is why I do not want Miami to draft OL at a high pick especially after last year. Let our guys develop and let's go with playmakers on O and D.

This is exactly what I've been saying in a couple of my recent posts. The Bills are the team to beat and they absolutely embarrassed our D last year in both games, and I feel like even if we improve our O, we need to improve our D for the Bills. Our D was good last year, but it wasn't great...it was OPPORTUNISTIC. We make Josh Allen look like Pat Mahomes every time we play him.

The one thing I noticed when we played the Bills was....Josh Allen had all day to throw. It was sickening. I was so pissed at the lack of pressure and how he had all day and could just pick us apart. He also picked on specific players in our secondary...Noah in game 1 and Needham in game 2.

I know we need playmakers on O, but we really need a pass rusher, a better nickel, and a better or more instinctive S than McCain. Maybe we could draft Z. Collins at 1b who can play coverage LB and then rush on passing downs, and maybe J. Holland at 3 to play S and hope that Justin Coleman can handle the nickel (or possibly Noah as I thought I read Miami was going to let him learn nickel this year).

Whatever the case, we need to get more pressure on Allen and have better options at nickel and S IMO.
Parsons 1a J Allen Krpytonite (Sp?) sideline to sideline

Play-makers next three selections

Trade our 6 th to Washington for Chase Young and something extra. Sign the man today to an extrention today. Our defense is scary. Plus we still have alot picks to build around Tua. Washington needs a qb more than anyone in the NFL. If they can get a Fields at 6, or Lance . They almost have to make a deal

And look at each of the Bills O-linemen. They were not high draft picks. This follows the Patriots as well....Thuney, Andrews, Cannon, etc. You do NOT need to draft linemen in high rounds to have a good OL. This is why I do not want Miami to draft OL at a high pick especially after last year. Let our guys develop and let's go with playmakers on O and D.
Yes, Miami needs to find some offensive linemen in the middle rounds.

I think loading up on offense may be the better option. Force teams to play from behind, or at least match up with offensive talent.

Once Buffalo got the lead on Miami in that season finale, it became apparent that the Dolphins could've match the offensive explosion of the Bills.

That said, the Dolphins do have to find an edge rusher. That's a huge draft priority.
Yeah - time to start scoring - its the only way to beat the Bills, KC, Tampa, B-More...

In theory I agree, but it's been pretty rare for Miami to find offensive linemen in the middle to late rounds.

Kindley was a nice find last year, so maybe Grier can do better than previous GM'S.

How did the Bucs beat the Chiefs in the Super Bowl?

All this "WE NEED ALL OFFENSE" reeks of the Dallas Cowboys.

How did the Bucs beat the Chiefs in the Super Bowl?

All this "WE NEED ALL OFFENSE" reeks of the Dallas Cowboys.
That was such a surprise. I would never have guessed that Tampa Bay would hold Mahones, and that offense, without a touchdown.

I don't think Miami should ignore the defense in this draft, but the team clearly needs more work on the offensive side.

Several good points here. Let's not try to make this a one point argument, because it's not.

1. ( @SF Dolphin Fan ) Josh Allen Improved
Great point. Everyone knew during the draft that Allen had the highest ceiling ... but many people doubted he'd ever reach it. Kinda like Justin Herbert this year, Allen was the ultra-athlete playing QB and we all questioned his accuracy. Well, he flashed as a rookie, then improved, and last year he actually became an excellent QB. It's like the game slowed down for him. The Bills bet on long odds and won. Josh Allen is legit, and just like the Baltimore Ravens (Lamar Jackson), Seattle Seahawks (Russell Wilson), Arizona Cardinals (Kyler Murray) and Kansas City Chiefs (Patrick Mahomes) all bet on guys with high ceilings and undeveloped potential ... the Bills won big. We can't be upset about that, because they saw the prospect, gambled on greatness (Jimmy Johnson expression), developed their guy, stuck with him, and then built around him including getting him Stephon Diggs. They did it the right way and their gamble on greatness paid off. Kudos to the Bills. Now, we need to catch up. But let's be clear here ... Diggs didn't make Josh Allen, he merely allowed Josh Allen's greatness to shine. Josh Allen is legit, and clearly the best QB in this division by a wide margin.

2. ( @39wildman ) We need to dominate with defense
Coach Flo is building a team in his own image--tough, hard working, and dominating on defense. We can't try to be the 49'ers or Ravens or Packers or Chiefs ... or Bills. That's not who we are. We've got to finish building Coach Flo's team and live in the house he builds. We jettisoned Kyle Van Noy and Shaq Lawson, and before those guys came we suuuuuuuuucked on defense, which meant we were a very bad team. But adding Byron Jones, Emmanuel Ogbah, and the aforementioned Van Noy & Lawson, and all of a sudden QB's had to throw at Xavien Howard ... and didn't have time to progress off that read ... and Howard dominated offenses. Ogbah caused forced fumbles and had sacks and pressures. And yes, Van Noy did what he did almost every year in New England. The only one who didn't live up to expectations was Lawson, and even he finished the year well. Without pass rushers, this defense fails. We heard for 2 years how the defense generates pressure without pass rushers ... and it was all WRONG. This defense only succeeds when it has pass rushers. Regardless of anything else, we NEED at least 1 more starting edge rusher who can play OLB/DE. Without it, this team falls apart.

3. ( @Goonies ) New England Patriots are rebuilding
He's right. They're preparing to make a run. Don't be surprised if they draft a QB. Bellicheat wins with defense and ball security ... and I expect to see that again this year. Losing a top QB causes all kinds of problems ... but a year later, they're patching the holes. We're not guaranteed to finish 2nd, because the Patriots will be better. And for that matter, I expect Salah and Zack Wilson to make the Jets better as well. We are still probably better than the Jets in 2021, but they're only a year or two behind us in their rebuild, so we need to make this draft count ... because they're improving.

Do we need to build around Tua? Yes. IMHO, that means getting him a young WR#1 with whom he can grow, much like Marino had Clayton and Duper. I'm hoping we get Ja'Marr Chase, but whomever it is, let's give Tua someone to grow with. Also, our OL is now average ... but I'd love to get one or two more OL and make it good. With 4 picks in the top 50, we can find an edge player and still get the WR & OL to build around Tua.

Can we dethrone Buffalo? Yes. But it's not going to be easy, because the AFC East just became more competitive top to bottom.
KC took Diggs away and Josh Allen looked like the 2019 rookie inaccurate and slow making decisions, didn't have his first read open and he couldn't find anything he was so confused he didn't even scramble, to put things in perspective Bills receivers provided over 3 yards separation while Fins receivers provided 1.5 yards separation for both Tua and Fitz Allen wasn't more accurate he just couldn't go wrong with how open his receivers were

KC took Diggs away and Josh Allen looked like the 2019 rookie inaccurate and slow making decisions, didn't have his first read open and he couldn't find anything he was so confused he didn't even scramble, to put things in perspective Bills receivers provided over 3 yards separation while Fins receivers provided 1.5 yards separation for both Tua and Fitz Allen wasn't more accurate he just couldn't go wrong with how open his receivers were
IMO Diggs played a huge role for Allen.

Admittedly, Allen Improved his progressions but that is still far from his strong suit. He doesn't see things on the field at an elite level. He's more like Tannehill in that aspect of his game.

But I give the Bills a ton of credit. They recognized where he needed help, got him a great route runner (first read), and an offensive line that could pass protect.

Allen is elite with arm strength and athleticism, and certainly can buy extra time.

Buffalo is a tough out. The Bills play defense and Allen is currently the top quarterback in the division.

KC did a lot more than that. Pressure, coverage, new looks ... that was a great performance and had many of us expecting a different look from their defense in the Super Bowl. Unfortunately ... they didn't do so well in the Super Bowl, and we'll have to be constantly reminded of Tom F'in Brady holding a Super Bowl trophy as the standard of excellence for the NFL in Florida. Blech.

more weapon would help but problems w draft pick you just dont know. it takes times for some of these player to become good. we will see bills looks good last yr.. i hate say this but bills aint that fur away from beating k.c. we need step our game up in 2021..i think dolphins should be wildcard team.
Mahomes has led the league in "dropped ints" and so has Brady so maybe it's that QBs who throw a whole bunch have a lot of "dropped ints"?

To shut down Buffalo we need to create a defense that smothers Allen and Diggs.
Tampa has given everyone a playbook to wrecking an Offense like Buffalo. Get in Allen's face all day while covering Diggs with a CB in man and Safety over top.
Of course it's easier said than done but TB has shown teams the way.
Does anyone know if TB played a Cover 2 all game? Pretty sure it was man coverage.

There's really no way to build a defense that consistently stops the best NFL offenses from scoring anymore... trying to build one is a waste of your time. Dont build a team to try and stop them, build one that'll make them try and stop you.
Not sure you can say that after what TB did to KC. Tampa 100 percent showed you can absolutely smother the most dynamic offense in the league.

Not sure you can say that after what TB did to KC. Tampa 100 percent showed you can absolutely smother the most dynamic offense in the league.
Played twice and they stopped them once, hell the Saints put up 34 and 38 points against them.

Back
Top Bottom