Overtime Rules | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overtime Rules

Samphin

Dolphins Homer
Reaction score
Hey, I got asked a question about overtime the other day and honestly didn't know the answer. Well, long story short it has been agonizing in my brain ever since ( along with various punk songs but I digress...). The question is as follows:

In an NFL PLAYOFF game,what are the rules once the overtime session is over with? During the season I know the game ends in a draw but what about a playoff game? Do they just start up another sudden death period or what? Also, has this ever happened since the merger? If anyone knows and can prove it with some links that would be great, thanks in advance!

Yes the go into a 2nd sudden death overtime game, Miami beat KC on Christmas Day in 71 and it is still considered the longest game. the game just keeps going until somebody scores, they hold a new coin toss and start fresh after each 15min period

While I thank you for confirming my thoughts, I did however, specifically ask for a link to help me out which you both have not provided, so therefore, you failed :lol: :jk: Thanks again.

Damn you LSU people and your phony links which fool me not once, not twice but THRICE! :lol: I actually found many a linky by going on google so it really wouldn't have been that har dfor me to look it up myself but I am lazy and wanted to start a thread without the words Wolf, Fiedler, Mueller, Ruskell in them.....wait, dammit, oh well.

Search through the NFL website. I'm not in the mood to do it, but they've got the rules in there somewhere.

Could you imagine an NFL game going into quadruple (sp?) overtime? You would have a bunch of dead players laying around the sidelines by the time it was over.
:goodnight

Wow, 1972, that is a fantastic little page there. It is too bad we come out on the wrong end of some games but I think it is safe to say that Miami seems to have a knack for getting themselves into the greatest games of all time whatever the outcome may be ( i.e. the monday night massacre, the deafeating of the Bears on Monday Night, the San Diego game, and the longest NFL game) Thanks for the article man. :D

Back
Top Bottom