Packers getting Healthy | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Packers getting Healthy

"and the Bengals will suck... "

That's true, I guess there are 2 constants in the NFL.

:lol:

Re: Can I just vent?

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
No disrespect intended, but I promise you I will vomit if I hear one more sports commentator say "Oh, thank God Brett Favre is ok ... what would the NFL be without him ... Brett Favre IS football ... oooh, I want to lick his cleats!"

He is a GREAT player. One of the all-time best. But c'mon, they act as if a major injury to Favre would drain all sanctity from the game.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes Doc, somewhat. He has had his detractors over the years. The commentators always lay it on a bit thick, although one guy earlier this year said he was "overrated". I think he was talking about all the boot licking your referring to.

Of course,Packer fans worship the guy. But he gets alot of kudos from other teams. When we beat the Patsies this year(your welcome), one of their writers was like 'you can tell your grandchildren you saw the guy play' He's getting that type of hype now.
But win or lose, he's exciting to watch. Wait thats a commentator line! Sorry.:rolleyes:

Good post, Badger.

I think what sent me over the edge was Sunday night banter between Chris Berman and Chris Mortensen once the news broke that Favre was going to be ok. They were like schoolgirls ... I halfway expected Berman to blurt out "He's so dreamy!"

Two subjects:

Originally posted by 13isgr81

Your right, it WILL take more than just JT to beat the Packers...
So how about:
Jason Taylor +
Zach Thomas, Sam Madison, Patrick Surtain, Ricky Williams, Chris Chambers, Chris Carter, and Randy McMichael
...?

Hopefully those name plus Olindo Mare's leg and Travis Minor's break out kick returning skills will be enough to do the job.

Favre4MVP mentioned this already, but I think that the Fins best chance to win this game is to run the ball and dominate on special teams. If they do those two things, the Fins will have a big advantage in field position and time of possession. Add in Mare's ability to hit long field goals and tbe Packers could find themselves on the wrong end of a low-scoring, grind it out affair. My fear is that Ricky wears down our D and then those field goals could easily turn into TD's. Once again, Packer fans will be looking towards our D to surprise us with more stellar play; but this time against a strong running team.

------

As far as the Favre worship that goes on in the popular media, for the most part it is deserved. I personally am in the mode of appreciating every game that Favre gives us as I know his retirement is fast approaching. (It appears that Favre will play two more years beyond this season.) He will go down as the best Packer QB I will see in my lifetime just like Marino has been for Fin fans. I think that Dolphin fans have a unique perspective on Favre's upcoming retirement as I'm sure you can still remember what it was like to have the best in the business as your QB.

In other words, I'm not looking forward to bitching about the Fiedler/Lucas QB that replaces Favre. :)

Originally posted by Favre4MVP
"and the Bengals will suck... "

That's true, I guess there are 2 constants in the NFL.

:lol:

and the bengals will suck way beyond the retirement of Favre...heck their "sucking" will outlive my son.

LOL

"heck their "sucking" will outlive my son."

Mine too, and he won't be born till December!

:D

The way things are in the NFL these days, they'll probably win the Super Bowl next year. No wait, they're the Bengals. Nevermind.

Re: Two subjects:

Originally posted by CJS

As far as the Favre worship that goes on in the popular media, for the most part it is deserved. I personally am in the mode of appreciating every game that Favre gives us as I know his retirement is fast approaching. (It appears that Favre will play two more years beyond this season.) He will go down as the best Packer QB I will see in my lifetime just like Marino has been for Fin fans. I think that Dolphin fans have a unique perspective on Favre's upcoming retirement as I'm sure you can still remember what it was like to have the best in the business as your QB.

In other words, I'm not looking forward to bitching about the Fiedler/Lucas QB that replaces Favre. :)

Right on the money CJS. I would urge any fan of a team that is fortunate to have a player like Favre/Marino to enjoy it while it lasts. It really does sting when they are gone. Despite the fact that Dan missed out on a Superbowl ring, I'm glad that Brett won one, it was well deserved.

They were like schoolgirls ... I halfway expected Berman to blurt out "He's so dreamy!"

LMAO. Chris "If I String Enough Words Together I'll Come Up With Another Cute Nickname" Berman is an idiot. I can't stand him.

Yea, it is gonna be a sad day when Favre retires. It is actually kinda spooky seeing him float into that stage of his career where he's become an icon. It makes you realize the end isn't that far off for him. :cry:

Well, I'll enjoy him while he's still around.

Originally posted by ronnie_augs
you better hope Farve your entire franchise is mobile when Jason Taylor comes at him.

Actually I am hoping that Mike Flanigan can do to JT what he did to Bruce Smith this past week.

Bruce Smith - 3 Tackles, 0 sacks, 0 pressures

Re: Can I just vent?

No disrespect intended, but I promise you I will vomit if I hear one more sports commentator say "Oh, thank God Brett Favre is ok ... what would the NFL be without him ... Brett Favre IS football ... oooh, I want to lick his cleats!"

He is a GREAT player. One of the all-time best. But c'mon, they act as if a major injury to Favre would drain all sanctity from the game.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I understand your point and I don't necessarily disagree. Like someone else mentioned, the game will go on when he's done. I think part of the reason that you're seeing this though is that there is no clear successor to Favre when he's gone.

Over the past couple decades you've always had those clear standout QB's that kept the focus as great players. You had Montana, Elway, Young, Aikman, Marino and others all playing in overlapping eras. Right now no one is established as a QB who'll keep that tradition going. I think right now, other than Favre, there is no clear standout.

Warner could potentially establish himself if he gets healthy and his success continues. McNabb has a chance if he can achieve consistency in the Philadelphia system. There are other young guys who have a chance, Michael Vick is one that comes to mind. The biggest problem is I don't think any other QB has been consistently good over long enough a stretch to emerge as the next great QB.

Just my thoughts.

Originally posted by MGD

Actually I am hoping that Mike Flanigan can do to JT what he did to Bruce Smith this past week.

Bruce Smith - 3 Tackles, 0 sacks, 0 pressures

Flanagan will be back under center it sounds like and Chad Clifton will be back at LT from his injury, Thank god! Dont get me wrong Flanny did a fine job as a fill in last week over at LT but the last thing I want to see is a center playing LT again this coming game vs someone like JT.

The Packers are getting healthy, but so are the Phins. The only person I would expect to be out for the Packers game, is probably Jay Fiedler...who is out for quite a bit longer than just the Packers game. Oh, and OG who is out for the year.

Dixon should be coming back. As will be guys that have suffered new injuries. I think JT will be 100% again. Surtain and Madison are going to be back at close to 100%. Chris Chambers will finally have all the cobwebs clear. McKnight's back will be good to go. I think with the exception of Fiedler and OG, we'll be as healthy as we've been all year.

I sure do hope Ray has a bigtime bounce-back game. The bounce-back would be typical of the way he plays football though, so that gives me hope.

Dolphin injuries...

While the Dolphins are getting healthy, I think you would agree that there is no worse place to have a guy miss a game than at QB. Fiedler isn't a top notch QB - but he is head and shoulders above Lucas.

As far as Flanagan blocking Taylor, someone brought up a good point regarding Flanagan: He is better against speed than power. If Clifton is still gimpy - it would be foolish to expect him to hold up against Taylor for an entire game. Therefore the Packers might have to stick with Flanagan for one more game. I guess it all depends on how healthy Clifton is.

Back
Top Bottom