Packs Fans: Ferguson or Chambers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Packs Fans: Ferguson or Chambers

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
The 2001 draft caused lots of grief for lots of Dolfans who wanted Drew Brees over Jamar Fletcher (UW), but was there a big uproar last season when you watched another UW star Chris Chambers have a great year when you took Robert Ferguson (not from Wisc) 11 picks ahead of him ?

from http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/sports/football/nfl/miami_dolphins/4409802.htm

''I receive letters every day about Mr. Chambers because of what he's doing down there and what he's not doing for the Packers,'' Sherman said.

Lot of us are grinding our teeth over that but Ferguson is coming along, contributing some and not a total disapointment so far, on the other hand our DE Reynolds from FSU looks like a bust.

oh we packer fans have been debating this for awhile guys/gals . It ranks right up there with us taking Terrel Buckley over Troy Vincent.

At this point, Chambers.

However, Moulds was a bust his first 2 seasons and then had a Pro-Bowl year in 1998, his third season. Some players take more time to mature.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
At this point, Chambers.

However, Moulds was a bust his first 2 seasons and then had a Pro-Bowl year in 1998, his third season. Some players take more time to mature.
right exactly and Fergy has shown tons improvement over last year already. In fairness he was also hampered with an injury last year.

Playing with B. Farve, he'll be Ok..get a couple of big plays in, you[ll see the change...Chambers was quiet the first part of last year..then he got a big play TD on a bomb and the rest as they say is history..

the things Chambers did last year were spectacular - they were all him. Jay just threw it up for grabs and he came down with it. Have not seen that from him this year and may not see it until Jay is 100% :(

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Playing with B. Farve, he'll be Ok..get a couple of big plays in, you[ll see the change...Chambers was quiet the first part of last year..then he got a big play TD on a bomb and the rest as they say is history..

yeah I know I watched him play as much as I could. I'm a big Badger fan so I'm very familiar with him. There is another Wideout coming out of Wisconsin by the name of Lee Evans. If he can get his knee better . He has a chance to be as good or better then Chambers. The guy has mad skills. The problem with wideouts in Wisconsin is they dont get used much. We are a power running team under Barry Alverz.

Originally posted by WisconsinFan
oh we packer fans have been debating this for awhile guys/gals . It ranks right up there with us taking Terrel Buckley over Troy Vincent.
funny, but I bet the Fins wanted T buck over Vincent then anyway. Vincent was a great CB for the Phins and would have been better if he was not hurt returning a kick or punt (?). He is easily my biggest disappointment in any FA we have ever lost. Webb w/b a distant 2nd.

dolphin39 - I think he means Troy Vincent of the Eagles.

As far as the question of Fergy over Chambers, it is obvious that Chambers is twice the receiver that Ferguson is right now. I think the Packers passed him because we already had a downfield burner in Corey Bradford at the time and we were looking for an over the middle guy to replace Freeman. I also think that Sherman's ties at Fergy's school swayed him to choosing Ferguson.

I hope that Ferguson breaks out like Moulds did, but I am not holding my breath.

Originally posted by CJS
you mean Troy Vincent drafted with the #9 (?) pick by the Phins out of UW and arguabily the 2nd best Phin CB of all-time behind Sam Madison :rolleyes:

Arrrrrggghhhhhh....the opening of old wounds. I still regret losing Vincent to the Eagles. Although, it makes me wonder whether keeping Vincent would have meant never having drafted Madison and Surtain.

It shows how long it has been since Troy was in Miami, people don't even remember him being a Phin :lol:

Vincent was a great CB for the Phins and would have been better if he was not hurt returning a kick or punt (?).

It was returning a punt. This was my argument when Marion was used as a kick returner. As far as I'm concerned, starting players (especially those as important as Vincent/Marion) should never be used as returners, there is just too much risk of injury. Besides, the game is grueling enough without exhausting them with non-essential duties.

As for Chambers, he is far from reacing his potential. He is still very raw, and his upside is almost off the chart. One aspect that may have disuaded teams from drafting him, is that he was considered a long- term, developmental kind of guy. The Packers may have gone for Furguson, simply because they thought he would contribute sooner than Chris..... Kind of ironic looking back. However, the point is that all teams make draft mistakes, that is what makes it the annual lottery.

Back
Top Bottom