Palantonio: 49ers leaning to Smith | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Palantonio: 49ers leaning to Smith

RHoffman said:
should spend more time with his beloved Eagles worrying about T.O. saying goodbye soon along with Cory Simon than worrying about the No. 1 pick.

It's a shame that ESPN employs such a blatant homer.

:lol:

I hope the Niners take Smith first. The league is more in love with Rodgers and therefore a trade down would seem more appropriate if he was available. If they take Rodgers, I think we'd be more inclined to go QB in this draft and waste a good pick.

Most of the talk has involved Smith because most people have assumed the Niners would take Rodgers.

Having said that I do think it would hurt our chances to tradedown if Smith is drafted by the Niners first.

Of course San Fran is going to come out and say this because they are trying to get teams scared they're going to take their guy so they'll have to move up and get him, instead of coming up to two with Miami. It would be stupid for them not to.

They'll take Rodgers if they stay there, it's the worst kept secret out there since Lima time and his "special gift."

Miami is in a great spot now that interest is being shown from other teams in moving up for Edwards/Smith.

I actually think that the 49ers were considering Smith until the whole contract thing came about. They wanted teams to trade up to 1 to get him.

It's not working that well.

HysterikiLL said:
I hope the Niners take Smith first. The league is more in love with Rodgers and therefore a trade down would seem more appropriate if he was available. If they take Rodgers, I think we'd be more inclined to go QB in this draft and waste a good pick.
yeah.. totally the opposite.

I'm big time hoping that Rodgers goes #1 because Smith will entice a lot more teams. Tampa will be chomping at the bit to move up because I believe that Smith would be/is a very enticing option to both Cleveland and us.

Phinsfan1980 said:
not really, I have heard reports that when Gruden had Rodgers in for a work out he told his agent that they would not have had him come if they weren't in the mix.

I heard a writer from TB just today speak about this on ESPN and he said Gruden was not interested in Rodgers.

I also heard from one of the ESPN guys that Gruden was not impressed after the workout.

Joey 22 said:
On a straight face to face interview Nolan said he liked Rodgers better, the cap/contracts guy said the same thing. If Rodgers, the local guy, the guy who is willing to take less money in a contract, the guy the coach seems to like, ends up not being the choice, I would say it wasnt because of decision making of any kind, but because of lack of organization and a say in their institution, I think the final call will be made by the owner, who would benefit from getting the local guy.

Do you have a source about who said this and a link to it? If it's true, show it, please, I'd be glad to read this "quote" you offer.

OTH, Palantonio said that Nolan liked Smith better and that Nolan indicated they would take the best player - and money would not be an issue. Palantonio was not speculating in any of this report. In fact, he was trying to note that all the stuff people were saying about Rodgers going to SF did not jive with the facts of what he knew from 49er sources.

He may be wrong, but I suspect SF will go with Smith. Meuller also noted that he thought at least 8 out of 10 teams at the top of the board liked Smith better and he would be surprised that SF would go with Rodgers.

RHoffman said:
should spend more time with his beloved Eagles worrying about T.O. saying goodbye soon along with Cory Simon than worrying about the No. 1 pick.

It's a shame that ESPN employs such a blatant homer.

Hey, you may not like his homerism, but, the guy knows his stuff and isn't one to lie about what people have told him from the 49er camp. He does report on others.

The ONLY sure thing is that no one has any of this figured out yet. No one knows what SF is going to do, no one knows what Saban is going to do. NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING at this point and that's the ONLY thing WE DO KNOW!!!!

According to the " big O " this afternoon, he said that was a rumor, in reference of the Vikings trading with the 49er because they want Edwards.

I will be stunned if the Niners actually stay at 1 AND draft Smith. I think their game is obviously to trade down here. Maybe they think they can even trade down and then trade back up with the Dolphins, getting a little something extra (out of the net of the two trades) *and* Rodgers for their trouble.

Back
Top Bottom