Palantonio: 49ers leaning to Smith | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Palantonio: 49ers leaning to Smith

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
This is not a good scenario for the Dolphins, imo.

I don't like us taking Aaron Rodgers at #2 near as much as Alex Smith and it really hurts our trade down scenario.

Hoping for the best, but if they go Smith ...

Bummer.
:cry:

This was on ESPN Radio just a few minutes ago ...

If smith is taken...then rb or bpa will be taken...trust me saban likes Charlie Frye alot more than he does Rodgers

I dunno, we'll find out next week. I think they'd take Rodgers though because he's the hometown boy.

Da 'Fins said:

I don't like us taking Aaron Rodgers at #2 near as much as Alex Smith and it really hurts our trade down scenario.

Bummer.

not really, I have heard reports that when Gruden had Rodgers in for a work out he told his agent that they would not have had him come if they weren't in the mix.

Da 'Fins said:

Bummer.

Not good.

I think that the 49ers have already decided on taking Rodgers. I think that people are just toying with peoples head to make things interesting.

PhinDude88 said:
I think that the 49ers have already decided on taking Rodgers. I think that people are just toying with peoples head to make things interesting.

Yep the media this days is more disinformative than informative.

I don't buy the line of thinking that guys just throw in stuff to make things interesting. If SalPal says he thinks Nolan is leaning towards Smith, then that is what he believes. The prevailing opinion is that smith is the better prospect and the only reason that Niners would draft rodgers is because he would be cheaper. If Smith is taken it obviously screws up some of the trade down scenario for the fins. Personally I feel whoever the fins want at #2 they should take him if he is still available at #2 as opposed to gambling and hoping after a trade down.

Joey 22 said:
Yep the media this days is more disinformative than informative.

Just yesterday on some ESPN talkshow, they interviewed Rodgers(a lifelong 9ers fan) about how excited he was to go play in San Fran. ESPN=the worldwide losers of sports.

I'm not a huge ESPN guy, but their not one single voice. There are plenty of guys there with different sources around the league. You should expect conflicting reports from those guys.

GBN is now reporting that SF and Rodgers have NOT met to discuss contract paramters, which contradicts earlier reports.

April 16
(12:01 AM): Source: no meaningful talks for #1 pick… According to a usually reliable source, there have been no formal numbers exchanged between San Francisco and California QB Aaron Rodgers, whom the 49ers are expected to take with the first pick at the 2005 draft. Earlier reports have indicated that the 49ers and Rodgers exchanged contract numbers during a pre-draft visit earlier this week.

If that report is on point it would be telling because Palantonio just said Condon, the agent for Smith was in San Fran on Thursday and Friday talking to the Niners Cap guy. Apparently Head Coach Nolan says money will not be an issue.

On a straight face to face interview Nolan said he liked Rodgers better, the cap/contracts guy said the same thing. If Rodgers, the local guy, the guy who is willing to take less money in a contract, the guy the coach seems to like, ends up not being the choice, I would say it wasnt because of decision making of any kind, but because of lack of organization and a say in their institution, I think the final call will be made by the owner, who would benefit from getting the local guy.

Back
Top Bottom