Panthers trade for Darnold. Guess they won't be trading up to 6 with us... | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Panthers trade for Darnold. Guess they won't be trading up to 6 with us...

He had to earn the starting qb role this yr at BYU.
Everyone familiar with the BYU program was laughing at that claim. They had several talented guys behind Wilson. The coach didn't want any of them to transfer because he wasn't sure who the heir apparent should be. So he announced the fake open competition for 2020 to keep all of them around. That type of thing can work at BYU. And it did.

I read a tweet today that Carolina was very interested in Mac Jones but once the 49ers moved up to three they knew that opportunity was gone. Then over the past two weeks the Panthers steadily agreed to the Jets' asking price for Darnold.

Heaven forbid Chris Grier could step back for a minute and realize that his opinion of Mac Jones wasn't necessarily the league opinion, and specifically the opinion of at least two aggressive teams desperate to move up for a quarterback. The Jets ended up benefitting from Matt Rhule's determination to get a quarterback. Meanwhile we could have allowed the 49ers and Panthers to duke it out.

At worst you lose a little bit from what we ended up with. But the upside was considerably more than what we settled for. Rhule knew the Falcons wouldn't trade with him, in the same division. So that knocks him down to at least 5, and the possibility of the 4th quarterback being gone also. That forced him to look toward other options, including Darnold. But if Grier never bails out early then Rhule can still aspire to the third quarterback, who is increasingly looking like Mac Jones.

not sure if posted here, but my personal guess is that the Falcons trade with the Broncos to 9.

They'll get a future (maybe even 2023) 1st in the deal.

Draft will go

1. Lawrence
2. Wilson
3. Jones/Fields
4. Fields/Jones
5. Chase/Sewell
6. Pitts
7. Smith/Waddle/Chase
8. Sewell/Parsons
9. Parsons/Horn
10. Horn/Surtain

I think that ship has sailed with the Panthers trade, which accomplished 3 things:

1) Panthers probably get their starting QB, which means they won’t trade up anymore.
2) Panthers not trading up anymore leaves Falcons with one less suitor for their pick, decreasing its payout. Basically their only hope is Denver trading up for a QB. The probability that Atlanta stay pat with the 4th pick is higher, especially if the reports that they really like Pitts are true.
3) Denver now has one less team competing for a QB above them, making it more likely that they will take their chances staying put, hoping the 4th best QB falls to them without giving up picks.

I guess we’ll see, but with the Panthers acquisition of Darnold, I think the board is about set in that top 10.

Darnold going from Gase to Joe Brady, the guy who made Burrow a #1 pick. I think he’ll do better with the Panthers. I can’t see Wilson being anymore than the next Trubisky.

I don't remember Dolphins fans mouthing off ad nauseum about how Dion Jordan was our Franchise Quarterback and Quarterback of the Future, like the Sh!ts were doing with Darny!

Jordan was a horrible pick/trade, but every team has busts, and that was almost a decade ago.
Oh we definitely weren't lol...I was like, "WHO?"

I knew who he was, but that was the LAST thing I expected in that draft.

And ya...the Jets always over-do everything, and their fans do too. It's an NYC thang. New Yorkers don't understand why EVERYBODY on the planet lives somewhere besides NYC...they're that tunneled.

The Fins will get a good player at 6.
Im hoping for Pitts or WR

Ah, what the heck...just take the talent, and don't worry about the wheeling and Dealing...Unless a team seriously knocks the teams socks off with a special type trade.

Pitts TE
Rousseau DE
Harris RB
Bateman WR
Myers OC

This is exactly how I feel our FO will behave.

There is nothing wrong with sitting at #6 and getting a potentially great young player and there is nothing wrong with trading back if we get some more draft positions in this draft and future drafts.

The only thing that can really go wrong would be getting two players who fail to perform with our with our first two picks. If both of our two earliest picks turn out to be good players we will have beaten the odds for getting good players.

This is what I want to see draft after draft after draft.

None of these new players will be hero's until they can show they can play at a competitive level for 3 or 4 years.

I don’t know man. I’ve never been a fan. Remember watching him fold in the USC/Ohio St Rose Bowl before he came out. Was insanely happy when the Jets got him. Obviously the Gase total ineptness did him no favors, but I think he’s nothing more than a backup.
He won a lot of games vs real Comp unlike Wilson - I am ecstatic that the Jets hit the reset button - 3 more years of mediocrity

not sure if posted here, but my personal guess is that the Falcons trade with the Broncos to 9.

They'll get a future (maybe even 2023) 1st in the deal.

Draft will go

1. Lawrence
2. Wilson
3. Jones/Fields
4. Fields/Jones
5. Chase/Sewell
6. Pitts
7. Smith/Waddle/Chase
8. Sewell/Parsons
9. Parsons/Horn
10. Horn/Surtain
Well it could be a hole lot worse than that. So we should consider ourselves fortunate I guess. As much as I would prefer Chase it is looking more and more likely that he will not make it past the Bungles.........

Now, I think, unless Denver thinks Carolina will take a QB, we're out of trade partners.

I like Sewell and everything he brings. Is that ok? I don't agree with him having T-Rex arms.
Its ok that we dont like the same things.

Doesn’t matter whether you agree. Facts are facts. His measurements are under an accepted threshold.

Main point continues to be, you and others hammer one player for being under a perceived threshold yet don’t do the same for another.

There’s a proper word that describes that: Hypocrite.

I couldn’t care less which player’s you prefer and which you don’t. I’m just pointing out and mocking the subjective and hypocritical reasoning behind it.

Isn’t that ok?

We had 2 years (it only took 1) to decide if Rosen was a keeper. Sam is going into 4th year; meaning Carolina needed to exercise that 5th year option which they did. Its not the same as our deal. Carolina is nuts to pay a 2nd, 4th and a 6th, even with the 1st 2 in 2022. Who exactly were they competing with for Sam?

Darnold has still proven to be a more capable QB. He’s a more valuable player performance wise and is still young. Yet didn’t fetch more.

As already pointed out, value isn’t static. NYJ got what they could get in the here and now. Not based off previous years and previous trades.

Back
Top Bottom