Parcells book from `95 applies to JT | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Parcells book from `95 applies to JT

Markcalius

Druggist
Club Member
Reaction score
I stumbled across a couple of books by Bill Parcells at the library today, so I decided to give them a quick look.

I grabbed one at random (called "Finding A Way To Win," written in `95) and just opened it to the middle, and I instantly noticed a passage in bold print, all caps, that said:

"RIDE YOUR BIG TALENTS HARDEST." I instantly thought of the Jason Taylor situation.

It goes on to say: "When their coaches allow them to slide, these players become lost opportunities. Because it's the higher-level players that have the most room for improvement, and the greatest potential impact on a game's outcome. When a big talent is also well prepared, he can dominate; if he's lacking in preparation, he'll drift back to the pack. Or as I'd tell Lawrence Taylor, who could be less than meticulous at practice, 'If you don't know who to hit, you're just like everyone else.'"

...Agree or not, I thought that might shed some light on his thought-process as it pertains to the Jason Taylor situation.

Some other random quotes that may or may not apply...

Also in caps, from a chapter called "Accountability": "LEADERS HAVE TO WORK HARDER THAN THE PEOPLE THEY HOPE TO MOTIVATE." Apply this to offseason workouts.

From a chapter called "Loyalty": "WHEN TEAM-FIRST PEOPLE ARE FORCED TO CHOOSE FROM AMONG TASKS OR RESPONSIBILITIES, THEY PICK THE ONE MOST VALUABLE TO THE ORGANIZATION--NOT THE ONE THAT BEST PROMOTES THE INDIVIDUAL."

From a chapter called "Self-Discipline": "TO INSTILL DISCIPLINE IN YOUR LOOSE-CANNON TALENTS, TRY MAKING THEM RESPONSIBLE FOR MORE THAN THEIR OWN INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE."

Seems clear why Parcells is disappointed with Jason Taylor so far. Though there's still plenty of time for JT to become a Parcells-ian leader on this team.

Last night on ESPN, someone brought up a good point which I haven't seen anyone mention so far.

What do you think would have happened to JT if Calvin Pace would have signed with us?

I think he'd have been sent packing on draft day, for whatever we could get.

Back
Top Bottom