Pass Interference | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pass Interference

mjh56

Practice Squad
Reaction score
How many times do we bemoan bad PI calls on our DBS? We definetely had some big ones at crucial times last season, but my point is not aimed at bad officiating, but at, why the hell do we not exploit it?

Take some shots, deep ones, on any down, but even the obvious 3rd and long and just challenge our outside WR to go up and challenge the CB. At best we get a Comp or that PI, at worst its INC we punt or its INT but downed deep, and probably further than a Royals punt anyway!

It just seems to me we play too safe, you need to specualte to accumulate and given the harsh PI i have seen against us in past, we should at least toss it up 4-4 times a game EVEN if covered

They will call offensive pass interference if it looks obvious the WR just went up to the DB and induced contact.

We get called for PI more often than most because of our physical aggressive style of play...the kind of play that Jimmy Johnson brought down here. On one hand its use was almost solely responsible for the victory over the soon-to-be AFC champion Oakland Raiders, and on the other hand we get burned for it in the final game of the year when Jamar Fletcher gets called for P.I. at the end of the game allowing the Patriots to win.

Joe Theismann is always the one that complains about how often P.I. is called and he is the one who always says if I was an offensive coordinator I would take ultra deep shots down the field all the time because even if you don't catch it there's a 50/50 chance you'll get a P.I. call. He is wrong though. Overall I think taking shots deep down the field can be a lot more effective more often than offensive coordinators tend to think, however taking those shots just to lure an unsuspecting DB into P.I. would not be wise unless you knew that your WR was consistently beating his guy and making him very uncomfortable.

I was more alluding

To just going deep more in general, seeing more benefits than negatives, rather than a deliberate act of hoping to draw a PI, simply part of possibilities of that shot, to which we seem to take alot less than most teams in NFL, fair points though CK, Thanks.

We don't have the personnel at QB to exploit interference calls. Defenses know this and cover accordingly. A corner doesnt have to crowd a reciever if he knows that he will have time to break on the pass. Our bread and butter is a play action pass to a post or slant route. Guaranteed to get huge yards on zone defenses and good gains on man coverage too. Teams definitely respect our run. We cannot abandon the run early, even if we face a deficit.

Originally posted by mjh56
How many times do we bemoan bad PI calls on our DBS? We definetely had some big ones at crucial times last season, but my point is not aimed at bad officiating, but at, why the hell do we not exploit it?

Take some shots, deep ones, on any down, but even the obvious 3rd and long and just challenge our outside WR to go up and challenge the CB. At best we get a Comp or that PI, at worst its INC we punt or its INT but downed deep, and probably further than a Royals punt anyway!

It just seems to me we play too safe, you need to specualte to accumulate and given the harsh PI i have seen against us in past, we should at least toss it up 4-4 times a game EVEN if covered

Our secondary is more aggressive than most. Even borderline calls go against us. Once you have a reputation.....

That doesn't mean that we should work the deep pass trying to get PI calls on the opposing defense.

The only time I would do that is when we already got 1 or 2 PIs on a certain CB. Then I would exploit that. But I would not do it just because....

Back
Top Bottom