Past Draft history trends against a OLB taken first. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Past Draft history trends against a OLB taken first.

fishypete

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Past #1 Picks

2007: JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU (Raiders)
2006: Mario Williams, DE, N.C. State (Texans)
2005: Alex Smith, QB, Utah (49ers)
2004: Eli Manning, QB, Mississippi (Chargers)
2003: Carson Palmer, QB, USC (Bengals)
2002: David Carr, QB, Fresno State (Texans)
2001: Michael Vick, QB, Virginia Tech (Falcons)
2000: Courtney Brown, DE, Penn State (Browns)
1999: Tim Couch, QB, Kentucky (Browns)
1998: Peyton Manning, QB, Tennessee (Colts)
1997: Orlando Pace, OT, Ohio State (Rams)
1996: Keyshawn Johnson, WR, USC (Jets)
1995: Ki-Jana Carter, RB, Penn State (Bengals)
1994: Dan Wilkinson, DT, Ohio State (Bengals)
1993: Drew Bledsoe, QB, Wash. State (Patriots)
1992: Steve Emtman, DT, Washington (Colts)
1991: Russell Maryland, DT, Miami (Cowboys)
1990: Jeff George, QB, Illinois (Colts)
1989: Troy Aikman, QB, UCLA (Cowboys)
1988: Aundray Bruce, LB, Auburn (Falcons)
1987: Vinny Testaverde, QB, Miami (Buccaneers)
1986: Bo Jackson, RB, Auburn (Buccaneers)
1985: Bruce Smith, DE, Virginia Tech (Bills)
1984: Irving Fryar, WR, Nebraska (Patriots)
1983: John Elway, QB, Stanford (Baltimore Colts)

Not since 1988 has a linebacker been taken first overall in the draft...and I don't see that trend being broken in this draft. The top 5-6 player's are good players...but none are great players...none are head over heals better that you say from the start....he's my pick. So the smart thing to do is either trade down or take the safer pick of all of them...you take the Tackle.

It may be a bit premature for that, I suspect Gholstons stock is going to go thru the roof after today, pass rushers are always in big demand and obviously with the new passing rules which has opened up the NFL's passing games, pass rushers are indeed a premium, and really good ones will be going early in future drafts.

It may be a bit premature for that, I suspect Gholstons stock is going to go thru the roof after today, pass rushers are always in big demand and obviously with the new passing rules which has opened up the NFL's passing games, pass rushers are indeed a premium, and really good ones will be going early in future drafts.

I have my doubts. Lets remember that in two seasons...Gholston could only get one sack against Long. C. Long was played to a stand still by Otah...a raw kid that runs a 5.50/40. Neither player dominated while in college...when they had their chance. Both are good players...but not great players...and are risks when taken with the first pick.

Back
Top Bottom