Patrick Devlin, our other franchise QB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Patrick Devlin, our other franchise QB?

number1fin

#onephin
Club Member
Reaction score
clear.gif

He set the Pennsylvania high school career passing yards record with 8,162. Now at 24 yrs old, coming in at 6 ft 4 and 222 lbs, Pat sure does look the part on the surface having all the measurables you would want in a quarterback. Being highly touted entering college, Pat decided to stay in-state and attend Penn State. Having redshirted in 2006, and seeing limited time in 2007, Pat's bulk of action with the Nittany Lions came in 2008. Playing in all but 10 games, and amassing for 459 total passing yards with 4 touchdowns and no interceptions, Devlin, in a reason not known to me, decided to transfer to the University of Delaware in 2009. In two seasons he threw for 5,696 passing yards, 38 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. In 2011 he entered the NFL draft but failed to be selected. The Dolphins picked him up as a unrestricted free agent, released him, and subsequently was resigned and placed on the practice squad.

Enter 2012, and from all credible sources we might actually have another gem on the roster. They say he's soaking up a ton of knowledge (from a competent staff) in training camp and retaining it rather well. And from all signs it's translating out on the practice field. So how does this effect things? Is he in the QB competition running at all? Should he be? Does he make Moore or Garrard expendable? How should we approach the situation?

I think Tannehill is the guy...but I also believe in the idea of constantly be developing more quarterbacks.

They can either be of benefit to this team down the road as a part of this team, or be very valuable in future draft picks in trade.

nice to hear all those positive reports on Devlin. last year, he was an afterthought. he just might develop into a valuable asset, be it as a back-up or trade-bait down the road.

I think Tannehill is the guy...but I also believe in the idea of constantly be developing more quarterbacks.

They can either be of benefit to this team down the road as a part of this team, or be very valuable in future draft picks in trade.

I'd be thrilled if we turned into a QB factory. Other teams like the Saints and Packers have done it, and it only helps.

he was also on i believe its Spike TV's "Sports Science" it had him and i believe one other quarterback and thru all the studies yada yada yada it had him as thrown the most perfect and accurate spiral in college and he ran thru some tests. i might look it up in a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOBxUdi3glQ

so i forgot a few things about video, skip about a min or two in to get over the dudes talking. if he compares to andy dalton i would be happy with having that on miamis roster...especially if he was a backup, means are starters would be better than dalton

Last edited by a moderator:
[video=youtube;OkPzmE0__7A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=OkPzmE0__7A[/video]

No way he gets past waivers if he doesn't make the 53 roster.

Methinks Pat transferred to Delaware because there was too much spooge in the showers at PSU. Good on him.

I'm starting to think more and more that the loser of the garrard/Moore battle gets cut or traded.. Having tannehill and devlin as backups really isn't that bad

I know all the expert competitive athletes on this board are going to get all bent out of shape, but I believe Devlin gives us the best chance to win this year. He has the poise, hunger, accuracy, decision making, abliity to move the ball without turning it over, smarts and competitive leadership, and is a proven winner with a winning spirit, and the body of work/stats to prove it; he just needs to get a fair chance. We must at least keep Devlin on the roster (not PS) this year, as we have two young quarterbacks who could be our franchise. Moore and Garrard are moot right now. Who knows, Tannehill might turn out just to be anohter Henne or gunslinger without the intangibles it takes to be a winning quarterback. Don't be surprised to see Devlin as our starter before the end of the season after Garrard gets us nowhere. Tannehill can have plenty of time to develop. You can laugh all you want, but WAIT AND SEE, remember you heard it here first.

I know all the expert competitive athletes on this board are going to get all bent out of shape, but I believe Devlin gives us the best chance to win this year. He has the poise, hunger, accuracy, decision making, abliity to move the ball without turning it over, smarts and competitive leadership, and is a proven winner with a winning spirit, and the body of work/stats to prove it; he just needs to get a fair chance. We must at least keep Devlin on the roster (not PS) this year, as we have two young quarterbacks who could be our franchise. Moore and Garrard are moot right now. Who knows, Tannehill might turn out just to be anohter Henne or gunslinger without the intangibles it takes to be a winning quarterback. Don't be surprised to see Devlin as our starter before the end of the season after Garrard gets us nowhere. Tannehill can have plenty of time to develop. You can laugh all you want, but WAIT AND SEE, remember you heard it here first.

I like Devlin as well. It be a big mistake to under value him to the point, as to try and get him on the practice squad again this year. I don't live far from where he played college ball at Delaware, and saw 1st hand how good he can be. I felt he had that "Deer in Headlights" look last off season and lost his confidence during the pre-draft process. He is the 1 Dolphin player I am rooting the most for. I likened Devlin's situation to Matt Flynn in GB, whereas, he could turn out to be the above average Backup QB or even better. I got bashed last off season in my defense of Devlin, with some saying I was drinking some "STRONG COOL AID". What a difference a year and new coaching staff makes. Sparano would have this kid seeing ghost, if he was still here. I give Devlin all the credit in the world for his apparent improvements. I'm hopeful this coaching staff keeps him on the active roster.

Could make it easier to make a deal for the loser of the battle for #1 QB. Some team will need a starter later in the pre-season.

Back
Top Bottom