Patriots Defense In Superbowl | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Patriots Defense In Superbowl

The Rams play calling didn't adjust to the Pat's defense until the middle of the third quarter.

The phantom holding call on John Sullivan was deal breaker just as the Rams offense was beginning to develop a rhythm.

Goff varies wildly based on surroundings and how things are going. j-off-her-doll has made that point repeatedly. It was also evident in Goff's college career, like the game at Utah with 5 interceptions. Long release and long strides and not much mobility really makes it imperative that the offensive personnel and scheme are too much for the opponent. That obviously wasn't the case against New England.

The Patriots are never a great example of anything. I hate to use one game to make a conclusion, and that expands when the game involves New England. But throughout that game tonight I was thinking that mobility from the quarterback is the only thing that wears down a superior defensive game plan and personnel. The Patriots gave no evidence of stopping Mahomes in the second half two weeks ago. Alabama couldn't do a thing with Murray in the second half of the Orange Bowl.

Haskins is too much like Goff. Drew Lock hates pressure so much he resorts to leaning back and making ill advised throws off his back foot.

I always emphasize margin for error...which mobility from the quarterback provides. Nothing wrong with a pocket type other than so much has to be perfect around him. We've already been there. If you get a pocket type then he has to be ultra smart and instinctive, and with ideal variety of pace and loft.

One thing that stood out to me regarding the Patriots tonight was the serious attitude and expressions on the sideline. Nobody was clowning around and mugging for the camera and assuming the game was over, once Michel scored the 10-3 touchdown. You know darn well a Jarvis Landry type would have been all about himself in that scenario, with high potential for a stupid 15 yard penalty. If Flores changes anything immediately I hope it is a return to the type of players the Dolphins had in my youth, and like New England has prioritized in this era. Smart dedicated resourceful types who stand out as a cut above as soon as you listen to the first interview.

Really well said, Awsi, and margin for error is the correct lense to apply to the QB position imo. Guys like Goff and Haskins give you a chance, but they'll either be a true reflection of your team relative to the opponent, or they'll make the team look worse than it is. They'll never make the team look better than it is/give you a wider margin for error. This type of QB is preferred to one who cannot execute even in favorable situations, and there are plenty of QB's who can't, so they do have some value, particularly on rookie contracts, but they're far from ideal.

John Ledyard, who had Rosen as "easily QB1" in 2018, said that Goff is still a stud and that those who say otherwise based on one game are mentally weak. But, we've seen over and over that Goff struggles greatly in anything but ideal situations. Ledyard also said that he doesn't/won't have a 1st Round grade on Kyler Murray, which I find hysterical.

There are two types of QB's who increase your margin for error, and they share most qualities (accuracy, intelligence, instincts, great feet). Their differences, though, define their types. The first is the the QB who can process information at unreal levels - P. Manning, T. Brady, D. Brees. Before I go further, I should note that Brady is very clearly in decline. They're true coaches on the field, and they're very hard to confuse. Brady's INT last night was a physical failing, rather than a mental one. He just left the ball inside.

The other is the QB you pointed out - Wilson, Watson, Mahomes, Murray. I'd also put Aaron Rodgers in this category. Even if the D covers everything and applies pressure, the play is still alive with this type of QB. Even if they make a mistake and miss a read, they have the talent to make up for it. To make this matter, these QB's still have to do the little things well. They have to make the "easy" plays look easy, and it's why guys like Vick, RG3, and Lamar Jackson don't belong in the group, but when Type 2 comes up against a team with better defensive talent than they have offensive talent, they can still put points on the board, because their playmaking ability is a wildcard.

That's cool that you all want to be optimistic, but it really makes no sense to judge Flores at this point. We know he didn't come in and screw things up for the Pats D this year, so that's a positive I suppose. But how you're going to attribute any of the success at all to him when he took over a unit whose been doing this for over a decade is dubious at best.

The Patriots defense looked fantastic. Completely shut down a great Rams offense.

But before we get too carried away, let's point out a few things. When Belichick has 2 weeks to prepare for teams, his defenses tend to do well, and he has talent on this defense. And most importantly, Todd Gurley was the best running back in the NFL this year, and he was the straw that stirred the drink. The Patriots utterly shut down the Rams when Gurley was not in the game, so it was a tremendous defensive showing. But, even noticeably injured, Gurley really made a huge difference when he was in the game. Had he been healthy and played the entire game, it would definitely have been a different showing.

Still, there's a lot to like about how the Patriots defense played, and it bodes well for Flores. Fingers crossed we figure out how to play defense half as well as that.
This was frustrating. Gurley has to be hurt. Why wouldn’t you feature him? He popped 3 runs and NE did not look prepared to deal w him - was it a case of he only had so much in the tank that that was all they could use him? Had he touched the ball 20-25 times I suspect they would have scored a couple of TDs. Those gashing runs were not the same as CJ’s and they put NE on their heels a bit. Oh well.

Goff varies wildly based on surroundings and how things are going. j-off-her-doll has made that point repeatedly. It was also evident in Goff's college career, like the game at Utah with 5 interceptions. Long release and long strides and not much mobility really makes it imperative that the offensive personnel and scheme are too much for the opponent. That obviously wasn't the case against New England.

The Patriots are never a great example of anything. I hate to use one game to make a conclusion, and that expands when the game involves New England. But throughout that game tonight I was thinking that mobility from the quarterback is the only thing that wears down a superior defensive game plan and personnel. The Patriots gave no evidence of stopping Mahomes in the second half two weeks ago. Alabama couldn't do a thing with Murray in the second half of the Orange Bowl.

Haskins is too much like Goff. Drew Lock hates pressure so much he resorts to leaning back and making ill advised throws off his back foot.

I always emphasize margin for error...which mobility from the quarterback provides. Nothing wrong with a pocket type other than so much has to be perfect around him. We've already been there. If you get a pocket type then he has to be ultra smart and instinctive, and with ideal variety of pace and loft.

One thing that stood out to me regarding the Patriots tonight was the serious attitude and expressions on the sideline. Nobody was clowning around and mugging for the camera and assuming the game was over, once Michel scored the 10-3 touchdown. You know darn well a Jarvis Landry type would have been all about himself in that scenario, with high potential for a stupid 15 yard penalty. If Flores changes anything immediately I hope it is a return to the type of players the Dolphins had in my youth, and like New England has prioritized in this era. Smart dedicated resourceful types who stand out as a cut above as soon as you listen to the first interview.
I hadn’t realized how long Goff’s wind up was. Also, his reads were so late on many, many throws including the one that should have been an EZ TD after the blown coverage by NE. Is he always like that?

The Patriots defense looked fantastic. Completely shut down a great Rams offense.

But before we get too carried away, let's point out a few things. When Belichick has 2 weeks to prepare for teams, his defenses tend to do well, and he has talent on this defense. And most importantly, Todd Gurley was the best running back in the NFL this year, and he was the straw that stirred the drink. The Patriots utterly shut down the Rams when Gurley was not in the game, so it was a tremendous defensive showing. But, even noticeably injured, Gurley really made a huge difference when he was in the game. Had he been healthy and played the entire game, it would definitely have been a different showing.

Still, there's a lot to like about how the Patriots defense played, and it bodes well for Flores. Fingers crossed we figure out how to play defense half as well as that.

Who DIDN'T know BB would take away the run game?

This was frustrating. Gurley has to be hurt. Why wouldn’t you feature him? He popped 3 runs and NE did not look prepared to deal w him - was it a case of he only had so much in the tank that that was all they could use him? Had he touched the ball 20-25 times I suspect they would have scored a couple of TDs. Those gashing runs were not the same as CJ’s and they put NE on their heels a bit. Oh well.
Agreed. The offense looked night-and-day different when he was in there, but you could tell he wasn't well and they were saving him. With the Patriots keying on him, he still had those chunk plays, and the rest of the offense suddenly looked open and reminiscent of the Rams offense we've seen all year. But injuries happen, and every team has to deal with them. And that game plan for the Patriots defense was rock solid.

Who DIDN'T know BB would take away the run game?
I would argue that BB didn't take away the run game at all. He merely stopped the backup. Those few plays that Gurley was in, while clearly not 100%, he still managed to completely revamp that offense and get some chunk plays while also opening up the passing game from all his extra attention. Had Gurley been 100%, this Super Bowl would likely have looked a lot different. And maybe not been so boring.

Everyone is focused on the “play calling” but it’s the defensive Architecture that I’m wondering about.

Who was the one that broke down the Rams offense and decided “This is how we’re going to attack them” “And if they do this, we’re doing this”

I don’t think that guy is Flores I think that guy is Belichick. Im not suggesting that Flores won’t be a good coach, but the Pats have been doing this for YEARS now. Way before Flores was “calling plays” so I’d have to give the credit to BB.

I’m hoping Flores learned enough in his 15 years in that organization how to be the Architect

Everyone is focused on the “play calling” but it’s the defensive Architecture that I’m wondering about.

Who was the one that broke down the Rams offense and decided “This is how we’re going to attack them” “And if they do this, we’re doing this”

I don’t think that guy is Flores I think that guy is Belichick. Im not suggesting that Flores won’t be a good coach, but the Pats have been doing this for YEARS now. Way before Flores was “calling plays” so I’d have to give the credit to BB.

I’m hoping Flores learned enough in his 15 years in that organization how to be the Architect

Could be. But the playcalling is also important as that is adjusted as the game goes on. But it's a chicken or the egg scenario. I'll give an example. Tony Sparano as head coach with us was great at game planning. There were very few times when Tony was here that we were not prepared. However he was a terrible in game coach.

I would argue that BB didn't take away the run game at all. He merely stopped the backup. Those few plays that Gurley was in, while clearly not 100%, he still managed to completely revamp that offense and get some chunk plays while also opening up the passing game from all his extra attention. Had Gurley been 100%, this Super Bowl would likely have looked a lot different. And maybe not been so boring.

We disagree. DTs split the OLmen and disrupted flow. Not much success on the edges. I think the gameplan was 'make Goff beat us.'

Back
Top Bottom