Patriots Way Coming To Miami | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Patriots Way Coming To Miami

Though not my first choice I am excited that Flores is coming and even more excited that Gase is gone..
Don't know about what Patriots staff he'd bring and truthfully a bit concerned that as of now from reports I'm hearing the top coordinators are looking to not have had any previous experience of their new positions. That is a bit worrisome and signs of passed poor insight. But Gase is gone and we have a new start and we will just have to wait and see, I think first years an appropriate grace period to see what they bring...

Mixed views on Caldwell, but he does and as of now one of the only guys with actual experience and hopefully that helps..

I'll be glad if he brings press/man with him for the corners. Maybe he can also get Tankersley turned around since we have so many needs. He should be able to offer a much better scheme defensively and one that disguises looks and actually has a game plan.

Offensively, I don't know. Caldwell is a mixed bag of success. He has failed as much as he has succeeded. I believe even though the Ravens won the SB with him, they also declined severely on offense in his last year. I heard he will be QB coach and Assistant HC. I am still waiting for the OC rumor.

I personally don't think Caldwell is a very good coach and I think his overall body of work bears that out. He had some success in Indy when he inherited a strong team, but outside of that he's been a bad to marginal coach.

With that said, he's being brought in as the assistant head coach, so the real loss here is that we might lose Rizzi as the special teams coordinator.

feels like to me it's gonna be a ron rivera type thing. that's what it feels like to me and rivera would have been fired a long time ago if not for cam newton. of course that qb cost them the #1 overall pick. jared goff isn't chopped liver he cost the rams the #2 overall.

So rumors right now are the staff being Caldwell, Chad O'Shea, Patrick Graham, maybe Bret Bielema, and maybe Darren Rizzi. Again only two names that seem set in stone are Caldwell and Graham but more and more twitter rumblings is OShea is committed as well since McDaniels isnt leaving anytime soon

I'm listening to Rose and Hyde on wqam this morning (even though I'm in Wisconsin, thank you internet) and they were talking about why the Pats are so good; they have a team of players that buy in, do their job, and trust the plan and teammates.
This is why so many good players from other teams go there and become great players. We've seen it over and over with former Dolphin players.
We've had an issue recently of key players "free lancing" during plays. It doesn't matter how good you are, if you aren't where your teammates expect you to be then even the best play call is doomed. If Flores can bring more accountability and a do your job mentality to the team, then it would be a welcome change.

So rumors right now are the staff being Caldwell, Chad O'Shea, Patrick Graham, maybe Bret Bielema, and maybe Darren Rizzi. Again only two names that seem set in stone are Caldwell and Graham but more and more twitter rumblings is OShea is committed as well since McDaniels isnt leaving anytime soon
Oshea has done a good job this year with the WRs in New England. He was given some real turds to work with.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Dolphins plan to hire Packers run-game coordinator Patrick Graham as their defensive coordinator.

After the Josh McDaniels debacle in Indianapolis last year, the hire will not be made official until the Dolphins formally hire Patriots de-facto DC Brian Flores as head coach. Graham worked with Flores in New England from 2009-2015, spent two years coaching the defensive line for the Giants, and was the Packers run-game coordinator and linebackers coach last season. (rotoworld 1/21 )

th

Last edited:
Time will tell if we're getting a patriots way or just another former pats coach that didn't make it outside of NE. I'm hoping for the best but time will tell.

Patrick Graham - C - Dolphins
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Dolphins plan to hire Packers run-game coordinator Patrick Graham as their defensive coordinator.

After the Josh McDaniels debacle in Indianapolis last year, the hire will not be made official until the Dolphins formally hire Patriots de-facto DC Brian Flores as head coach. Graham worked with Flores in New England from 2009-2015, spent two years coaching the defensive line for the Giants, and was the Packers run-game coordinator and linebackers coach last season.

Belicheat adjusts his scheme to the talents of his players.
Seems like I remember Shula doing the same thing.
If it is Flores, I hope he takes that bit of wisdom and remembers it each day.
My hope is that the Fins get bigger along both lines and faster where they need speed.

Oshea has done a good job this year with the WRs in New England. He was given some real turds to work with.
And they would be turds here, it's freaking Brady and Belichick. You know what all those coaches who left New England and became head coaches didn't have when they failed? Brady and Belichick. You see the Pats go down after losing any one of their coaches? No. You know why? Brady and Belichick.

The Patriot way requires smart players. Minkah is a great start
That is so true. That's how Miami won in the early 70's as well.
it doesn't matter who the head coach is if grier doesn't hit at qb we are screwed for another 5 years
That's a great point. I can't see Miami waiting until 2020, but I guess that's possible. Who would you say is the most accurate, smartest qb in this current draft class?

I personally don't think Caldwell is a very good coach and I think his overall body of work bears that out. He had some success in Indy when he inherited a strong team, but outside of that he's been a bad to marginal coach.

With that said, he's being brought in as the assistant head coach, so the real loss here is that we might lose Rizzi as the special teams coordinator.

Looking a bit closer at Caldwell.....

2001: Hired by Tony Dungy as QB coach. He didn't have a lot to work with in Brad Johnson who went 340 for 559, 3,406 yards, 13 td, 11 int, & 39 rushes for 120 yards and 3 td.

The following year, Dungy went to Indy and brought Caldwell with him in the same position with Assistant HC added to his title. That was from 2002 to 2008. By 2002 Manning had already been in the league for 4 seasons. There was no marked improvement in that first year for Manning and Caldwell. Manning actually had two better years statistically in his 2nd and 3rd years. However his play did regress in 2001 (26 td/23 int) before Caldwell took over. The rest is Peyton Manning being Peyton Manning, IMO....with the triplets.

He was named Head Coach in Indy from 2009-2011. The Colts went 14-2, 10-6 & finally 2-14 after manning got hurt.

On to Baltimore as QB & OC from 2012-2013. Ravens offense was 12th in offense and 12-4 the year prior as they lost the AFC Championship to the Pats. In 2012, the Raven were 10th in offense and 10-6 as a team but won the Super Bowl vs 49ers. Flacco had an 87.7 QB rating with 22 TD and 10 ints...(please do not bring him to Miami). Ray Rice had 257 rushes for 1,143 yards, 9 td, & 61 catches for 478 yards and 1 td.

In 2013 the Ravens dropped to 3rd in their division (8-8) and Flacco dropped to a 73.1 QB rating.

He then left for Detroit as HC from 2014 to 2017. Detroit improved from 7-9 with the 13th ranked offense (in 2013) to 11-5 with the 22nd ranked offense. Thank you defense.

2015: 7-9, 18th ranked offense
2016: 9-7, 20th ranked offense
2017, 9-7, 7th ranked offense.

Matt Staffords QB rating starting in 2013 (before JC)...84.2, 85.7, 97, 93.3, 99.3

You would have to look at other factors like injuries and how the front office performed at those times but it looks like a mixed bag.

As far as Chad O'Shea....Another position coach (WR, TE, ST) jumping to first time coordinator. No clue how that goes or what offense they go with....probably some form of the Erhardt-Perkins system.

Matt Patricia was there for years being the D-coordinator and doesn't seem to translate well in Detroit.

Not saying Flores won't make it, everyone is different, but we can't apply the logic of him bringing here easily what others have failed to bring with them.

I like how you only need one season to know Patricia isn't going to work out for the Lions.

Is the Patriots way implementing 3-5 yd passes like the recent past?
Seriously how in the hell does a team become so "unstoppable" having a QB throw these dink passes 80% of the time along with an average to decent only running game?
Is it me or does this style of offense and the skills of Edelman & Hogan seem easily negated employing a press coverage D as the Falcons did in the 1st half of their SB?
I cannot comprehend how this is so difficult to do on a regular basis and why no one does it

Back
Top Bottom