Pats are cheap | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pats are cheap

shalafi3455 said:
I thought the signing bonus didn't effect the cap though? That's why I find it funny that they agreed to years and money but not on the bonus! I could be wrong (and probably am) but I thought that's how it worked!

The signing bonus plays a big part in the cap.

The Pats are doing this for cap reasons. I'll explain.

Whatever signing bonus Tom Brady gets is spread out against the cap over the course of several seasons. The Pats and Brady have agreed on a six-year deal. Let's say they've agreed to a $20 million bonus.

If they pay it out all up front like Brady wants, then the cap hit is $20 million divided by six years, or $3.33 million/year.

What the Pats want to do is pay it out in four equal installments of $5 million each over the course of the first four years, with the final two installments not guaranteed.

$10 million guaranteed total bonus over six years
Total cap hit = $1.66 million

$10 million guaranteed total bonus over six years = $1.66 million
$5 million bonus over four years = $1.25 million
Total cap hit = $2.91 million

$10 million guaranteed over six years = $1.66 million
$5 million bonus over three years = $1.66 million
Total cap hit = $4.57 million

Basically, the Pats are trying to structure Brady's deal as to create some immediate cap relief for the next three years at the expense of backloading his signing bonus for an extra cap hit in 2008-2010.

They're smart, they're not cheap.

i think the pats are cheap. the highest paid qbs in the league vick or manning what have they done. brady with 3 superbowls deserves to be the highest paid qb. the pats are just cheap

Gator Mike said:
The Pats are doing this for cap reasons. I'll explain.

Whatever signing bonus Tom Brady gets is spread out against the cap over the course of several seasons. The Pats and Brady have agreed on a six-year deal. Let's say they've agreed to a $20 million bonus.

If they pay it out all up front like Brady wants, then the cap hit is $20 million divided by six years, or $3.33 million/year.

What the Pats want to do is pay it out in four equal installments of $5 million each over the course of the first four years, with the final two installments not guaranteed.

$10 million guaranteed total bonus over six years = $1.66 million
Total cap hit = $2.91 million

Basically, the Pats are trying to structure Brady's deal as to create some immediate cap relief for the next three years at the expense of backloading his signing bonus for an extra cap hit in 2008-2010.

They're smart, they're not cheap.

How is that smart again? If they backload the contract, they will have a greater cap hit if they get rid of him...by then he will still only be 33 or 34.

eltos_lightfoot said:
How is that smart again? If they backload the contract, they will have a greater cap hit if they get rid of him...by then he will still only be 33 or 34.
It's a bit of a gamble, I'll admit that. They're betting that over the course of the next six years, Tom Brady will remain relatively healthy and effective. If he's not, this blows up in their faces in a big, big way - but that can be said of most of the big money contracts that are signed around the league. If he does remain healthy and effective, it's a VERY smart deal, IMO.

M3590NJ973 said:
i think the pats are cheap. the highest paid qbs in the league vick or manning what have they done. brady with 3 superbowls deserves to be the highest paid qb. the pats are just cheap

Being wise with there cap is one reason why they have won three super bowls! More teams would be better off to take a page from the Pats instead of just spending crazy money on players that don't always deserve it! Now you take Vike for example, he is the second highest paid in the league! What has he won? Nothing, because they don't have a good enough over all team to win it all! As we all know one great player doesn't win you anything! Them saving money on the cap every year, can mean more money they can spend in other areas of need or on depth that has helped them out the last few years to fill in for injured players!

Saban4prez said:
Corey Dillon won't stay happy forever on this team. wait for him to say something stupid for this team. And i can imagine some other players on the team getting a little pissed off if tom brady gets such a huge contract.

Corey Dillon would get pissed if Tom Brady gets a big contract, can we say Hold out kids.

JAcK o D1AmonDs said:
Corey Dillon would get pissed if Tom Brady gets a big contract, can we say Hold out kids.
Why would Corey Dillon get pissed? Tom Brady doesn't deserve a big contract?

Besides, Dillon's been very outspoken that he doesn't want to play for another NFL team and that the Patriots "wont have a problem" resigning him. In fact, they'll probably work out an extension this summer.

I think this whole situation may get ugly, and I hope it does. Bill's ego may get the best of him here. He may just think he can pull another QB out of his a$$ like he did with Brady. I would love to see Brady leave the AFC.

Saban4prez said:
Corey Dillon won't stay happy forever on this team. wait for him to say something stupid for this team. And i can imagine some other players on the team getting a little pissed off if tom brady gets such a huge contract.

Why won't Corey Dillon stay happy? He is the focus of their offense and he just won a Super Bowl. The only reason he wasn't happy in Cincy was because of all the losing. I don't think New England has had trouble with losing very many games lately.
Tom Brady deserves every nickel he gets and the rest of the team should realize that. They are a 'team' in every sense of the word but when the game is on the line, I'm sure every Patriot knows there best chance of winning is with Brady behind center.

zuper_man said:
Why won't Corey Dillon stay happy? He is the focus of their offense and he just won a Super Bowl. The only reason he wasn't happy in Cincy was because of all the losing. I don't think New England has had trouble with losing very many games lately.
Tom Brady deserves every nickel he gets and the rest of the team should realize that. They are a 'team' in every sense of the word but when the game is on the line, I'm sure every Patriot knows there best chance of winning is with Brady behind center.

You said the word "TEAM". To be apart of a "TEAM" that has won like they have you have to be willing to consider a small cut in pay here and there. I do hope they start paying their good players killer salaries and watch the team slowly become onesided (All offense and no defense.....uuumm can you say the Colts??). I think the Pats are pure genius and are the closest thing to your dynasties of old than any other team out there. Make your choice......a small cut in your pay and win SB's or get greedy and walk off the field a loser. You make the call!

SleepWithDaFish said:
You said the word "TEAM". To be apart of a "TEAM" that has won like they have you have to be willing to consider a small cut in pay here and there. I do hope they start paying their good players killer salaries and watch the team slowly become onesided (All offense and no defense.....uuumm can you say the Colts??). I think the Pats are pure genius and are the closest thing to your dynasties of old than any other team out there. Make your choice......a small cut in your pay and win SB's or get greedy and walk off the field a loser. You make the call!

True. But...don't you think Brady is already taking a pay cut? He already said he isn't looking for Manning and Vick money. Brady deserves to be paid on the same level if not more than those 2 guys but he knows taking that kind of cash will handicap New England for awhile. He is offering to takeless than his market value to help out the team.

Brady isn't hurting for money. Waiting a few couple of years for a couple of mill isn't going to put him on welfare. Amazes me when millionares whine about money this way. This is why I stopped following baseball. Greed kills!! :shakeno:

the pats are gunna make him the 3rd highest paid QB in the NFL.
its up to the team to pay brady a little as possable.
its up to brady's agent to get as much as he can up front and garenteed.

anything not garenteed is nothing more than promises. and when it becomes benificial to the pats to cut brady, they will.

by not garenteeing some of the money, it makes it alot better for the team if they decide to cut him.

(i cant spell, so no need to tell me)

Back
Top Bottom