Paying for kickers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Paying for kickers

2413fanphins

Active Roster
Reaction score
I kind of fall into the bill parcells train of thought when it comes to kickers.
You don't pay for them.

I like the idea of getting rid of mare, he had a great career in miami, but I have grown way too tired of him missing the gimme kicks. I thought he was significantly overpaid.

I just read we signed feely, on espn. I haven't even seen whether we officially cut or traded mare or what. But if my numbers are right, we are paying feely even more than we were paying mare.
I like feely, his career numbers look satisfying to say the least, but why do we pay these guys so much.

We could have drafted a kicker in this years draft and saved a lot of money.
Hopefully it works out.

I guess I would hate to waste a pick on a kicker in the draft anyway, I guess thats why cam and mueller are runnin the show and I just watch espn.

INPUT???!!!

Kickers are important. They can make or break not only a game, but an entire season. Im very happy with the Feeley signing. I think it will improve on a kicking game that has been lacking the past few seasons.

Kickers are important. They can make or break not only a game, but an entire season. Im very happy with the Feeley signing. I think it will improve on a kicking game that has been lacking the past few seasons.

Kickers are important, too bad we signed a kicker who is basically a downgrade for more money then we were paying Mare.

Horrible move.

mare is sceduled to count for 3 million this yr on the cap i read it somewhere last week and feely's has 2.5m guaranteed of 6m 3 year deal

I kind of fall into the bill parcells train of thought when it comes to kickers.
You don't pay for them.

I like the idea of getting rid of mare, he had a great career in miami, but I have grown way too tired of him missing the gimme kicks. I thought he was significantly overpaid.

I just read we signed feely, on espn. I haven't even seen whether we officially cut or traded mare or what. But if my numbers are right, we are paying feely even more than we were paying mare.
I like feely, his career numbers look satisfying to say the least, but why do we pay these guys so much.

Hopefully it works out.

I guess I would hate to waste a pick on a kicker in the draft anyway, I guess thats why cam and mueller are runnin the show and I just watch espn.

INPUT???!!!

I've been saying this all along. Mare was NOT overpaid. Was he the best option for us, who knows...but realistically, the only major differences between Mare and Feely is 4 yrs of youth. That's it...we are paying just as much for Feely as we did Mare, except his cap hit will be a little less than Mare's and we won't be sure he can handle the rain and mud in JRS. Also keep in mind that most of Feely's stats come from an indoor stadium...

mare is sceduled to count for 4 million this yr on the cap i read it somewhere last week and feely's has 2.5m guaranteed of 6m 3 year deal

Mare was going to count 2.1 M against the cap, not 4 M...

You don't pay for them.

Hopefully it works out.

INPUT???!!!

Maybe that's why Parcells had so much trouble with kickers in Dallas.

actully cap # is 2.417 breakdown 1.5m salery 667,000 prorate bouns 250,000 roster bounus and next years salery alone without bonuses would be 2m so feely still comes in cheaper

I've been saying this all along. Mare was NOT overpaid. Was he the best option for us, who knows...but realistically, the only major differences between Mare and Feely is 4 yrs of youth. That's it...we are paying just as much for Feely as we did Mare, except his cap hit will be a little less than Mare's and we won't be sure he can handle the rain and mud in JRS. Also keep in mind that most of Feely's stats come from an indoor stadium...

the major difference could be that we beat the Jets instead of lose to them when your expected to hit a 39 yard field goal. The other thing i like about Feely is the experience in cold weather in NY. The pay is about production according to pay. Mare has been seriously slipping these past few years. The only think mare has excelled at is touchbacks.

Adam vinatieri now has Superbowl rings with 2 teams

and is widely hailed as having made a significant contribution to those successful campaigns. So a good kickers seems to me to be a vital part of the team. If all the players were of equal value and you divide the cap between the 53 roster spots they'd all be worth $2m or so. A good kicker has to be in the top third for value since in any given game his craft may be needed to win the game in the final seconds. With that perspective $2m isn't overpaying per se. It's the right sort of deal for a good kicker and for the last several years Mare has been proving that he is no longer that kicker. I hope Feely is.

Back
Top Bottom