PC Implications | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PC Implications

3P

I believe I can fly!
Reaction score
This is being discussed in the main forums, and I'm curious to get your opinions without all the drama...

What do you guys take from the comments from the PC about the QB not being a caretaker, being the most important position, and about having explosive players on offense?

I was thinking RB until I went back and watched it again and caught the emphasis Saban puts on the QB position.

Discuss.

phinphanphrommi said:
This is being discussed in the main forums, and I'm curious to get your opinions without all the drama...

What do you guys take from the comments from the PC about the QB not being a caretaker, being the most important position, and about having explosive players on offense?

I was thinking RB until I went back and watched it again and caught the emphasis Saban puts on the QB position.

Discuss.
I don't take too much from it. He also had some comments about how he has only seen a game and a half of AJ Feeley (with the exception of the college game he coached against him). I think he was just stating the QB play is important, he knows this, and he won't accept sub-par play. I think the QB comments was more of a PR thing, as Wayne knows that PhinFans hated Fiedler, and are very split on Feeley and his 2nd round pick value.

Good take on the PR thing... I wouldn't mind at all if we kept Feeley.

phinphanphrommi said:
Good take on the PR thing... I wouldn't mind at all if we kept Feeley.
I am OK with Feeley also. If we do draft Rogers/Leinhart, I hope that Saban just says from day 1 that Feeley is the starter, and that or Rookie QB will take at least a year to learn. I don't think that either QB, or this team, is going to be a Steelers/Roethlesburger.

He made it clear....albeit indirectly....that he is not Dave Wannstedt. Dave believed in running the ball and playing defense. He believed your QB could be a caretaker. That it didn't matter how many points you scored, just as long as you had the lead in the 4th quarter. He was an out-and-out conservative offensively.

Heck, he was that way on defense too. He went to the Jimmy Johnson school of "you line yours up, we'll line ours up and we'll see who makes the first mistake". No frills. No blitzing. Just base defense and man-to-man coverage.

That's a tough defense to run in the salary cap era, as you need superior players to run it and great coaches to coach it. You also need a competent offense to support it, as there is a lot of pressure placed on each man individually. But that's the contradiction that was Wannstedt.

Saban, on the other hand, believes in balance. He believes in an explosive offense and an unpredictable defense. He believes that your QB must be the catalyst. That Trent Dilfer was the exception and not the rule (although people forget Dilfer was a 28-year old three years removed from a Pro Bowl and could make plays down the field). That the best way to protect a defense is to increase the lead on offense.

He also believes that you can't just line up and let an offense attack you. You've got to make them think and work. This puts added pressure on your opponent's coaching staff and the offensive players in preparation, as they have to prepare for everything. Even things they haven't seen before (which means they can't necessarily prepare for it). And it makes turnovers far more likely. I especially liked that little story about his days at Cleveland when they were facing the Phins and his defense believed they (the defense) were going to score with the game on the line.

This is such a welcomed change. And best of all, he's a superior coach to Dave Wannstedt to begin with. So we win all around.

Muck said:
He made it clear....albeit indirectly....that he is not Dave Wannstedt. Dave believed in running the ball and playing defense. He believed your QB could be a caretaker. That the it didn't matter how many points you scored, just as long as you had the lead in the 4th quarter. He was an out-and-out conservative offensively.

Heck, he was that way on defense too. He went to the Jimmy Johnson school of "you line yours up, we'll line ours up and we'll see who makes the first mistake". No frills. No blitzing. Just base defense and man-to-man coverage.

That's a tough defense to run in the salary cap era, as you need superior players to run it and great coaches to coach it. You also need a competent offense to support it, as there is a lot of pressure placed on each man individually. But that's the contradiction that was Wannstedt.

Saban, on the other hand, believes in balance. He believes in an explosive offense and an unpredictable defense. He believes that your QB must be the catalyst. That Trent Dilfer was the exception and not the rule (although people forget Dilfer was a 28-year old three years removed from a Pro Bowl and could make plays down the field). That the best way to protect a defense is to increase the lead on offense.

He also believes that you can't just line up and let an offense attack you. You've got to make them think and work. This puts added pressure on your opponent's coaching staff and the offensive players in preparation, as they have to prepare for everything. Even things they haven't seen before (which means they can't necessarily prepare for it). And it makes turnovers far more likely. I especially liked that little story about his days at Cleveland when they were facing the Phins and his defense believed they (the defense) were going to score with the game on the line.

This is such a welcomed change. And best of all, he's a superior coach to Dave Wannstedt to begin with. So we win all around.
Wonderful post, Muck - and spot-on.

I think you hit it right on the head; if there could be said to be one running theme through Saban's PC, it was "I know how you've suffered, Miami - and although there may be tough times ahead, you will not suffer in the same way with me here - because I AM NOT WANNSTEDT."

Your points about Defense, especially as it relates to the salary cap, is right on too.

Yeah. Whatever next season brings - and I'm sure it will be tough at times - I feel like we've won already.

I agree with Muck, it seems that Saban's system is not having a system, what I mean is that he fits his team around his players, he is a good enough coach that he is comfortable being a run team or a passing team, he takes the best players he has and wins with them instead of DW's approach of stifling any talent we have to run a system that does not work in the NFL of today because a) you are too stupid to change, b) You are too stupid so you don't know how to change or C) you are too stupid.

I really hope that DW's tenure hasn't ruined the seemingly fragile psyche of Chambers, as he had potential but not being used properly has hurt him.

Back
Top Bottom